By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Woman and children first off a sinking ship. Gender equality...?

Should the case be...

Let the 100 women get the... 90 24.13%

Let the 100 men get the l... 31 8.31%

Split the lifeboats 50/50 between the adults. 168 45.04%

Let everyone drown because I can't decide. 84 22.52%

Total:373

Would it be fair? Yes.. Would it happen? No

Around the Network
Brii said:
I'm not sure why everyone immediate response is "Those damn feminists want more privileges!" when it's not the women that decided this rule all those years ago. It's not because women were 'more privileged' by any means. It's because, back in the days this rule was conceived, people (men and women alike) believed that women were more helpless and needed more protection than men.

Im a feminist and this is not true. Women are considered the fairer gender because based on temperament and biology they actually are (in general). The reason women are generally sent away first is because they secure the future of their people and while the men are expendable, they are not. In war or in a shipwreck, this is generally the philosophy that keeps a people alive for another generation. In civilized society women and men can bear the brunt of things the same, but in a situation when they are forced into survival mode.....it kind of goes back to square one where survival matters more. 

The point of human existence (as far as we know in a biological sense) is to gain knowledge and pass it onto another generation whilst striving to extend survival for humanity.

If there are fathers with children let them be an exception in going with their children, but generally its mothers or women capable of bearing children first with children. People must remember that this is a survival tactic. Its not about how someone feels.

Which of you pricks voted for either the 100 men or 100 women?

nanarchy said:
I am old fashioned, the women and children are getting on the boats, I would physically restrain/beat any man that decided otherwise if I was there. Having said that I have no issue with the feminists volunteering up their place for a man in the spirit of equality.

Haha you haven't being paying attention to the world, have you?

First: beat the shit out of the captain, then women and children off the ship.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
I am old fashioned, the women and children are getting on the boats, I would physically restrain/beat any man that decided otherwise if I was there. Having said that I have no issue with the feminists volunteering up their place for a man in the spirit of equality.

You're not being old-fashioned, you're being a modern-day "feminist". And you're why MRAs exist (Men's Rights Activists) and why they need to exist.

As for the question, it's first come first serve. There's no need to reserve the lifeboats for women, children, or men. Whoever gets there  first, lives. That's it. That's equality. Anyone who thinks otherwise has a problem, and is either sexist, "feminist", or some other crap.

ArnoldRimmer said:
I believe the reason why men have always been considered more expandable than woman is somewhat biological:

For the plain survival of the human race, one needs more women than men, because women are the bottleneck of human reproduction.

Imagine that there was an apocalyptic event and only 100 humans are remaining.
If there were 99 women and one man, the (very lucky) man could easily fertilize all woman, and after one year, we'd have about 99 children.

But imagine that there were 99 men and only one woman remaining - even if the men managed not to kill themselves over the question who will fertilize her (which seems quite unlikely), after one year there would still only be one child.

What you're alluding to is called Parental Investment theory in evolutionary biology.

Namely, women invest more in offspring (biologically) than men do. That's what creates the imbalance. It's also why it's much rarer to find a mother abandoning a child than a father.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Brii said:
I'm not sure why everyone immediate response is "Those damn feminists want more privileges!" when it's not the women that decided this rule all those years ago. It's not because women were 'more privileged' by any means. It's because, back in the days this rule was conceived, people (men and women alike) believed that women were more helpless and needed more protection than men.

Im a feminist and this is not true. Women are considered the fairer gender because based on temperament and biology they actually are (in general). The reason women are generally sent away first because they secure the future of their people and while the men are expendable, they are not. In war or in a shipwreck, this is generally the philosophy that keeps a people alive for another generation. In civilized society women and men can bear the brunt of things the same, but in a situation when they are forced into survival mode.....it kind of goes back to square one where survival matters more. 

What is this load of feminist bullcrap? So you think that women are the fairer sex and so because you think it, it must be so? Ever think that maybe that's just your opinion and not a fact?

Then what is this crap you say about women "securing the future" of people. Wow. Yeah, it really shows that you're a feminist. Exactly the typical modern-day feminist that people tend to want to distance themselves from nowadays.

AbbathTheGrim said:

What if the Captain of the Ship is a woman? would you allow her off the ship before the male crew she doomed?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

What if the Captain of the Ship is a woman? would you allow her off the ship before the male crew she doomed?

Only if she's hot and single.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1