By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Woman and children first off a sinking ship. Gender equality...?

Should the case be...

Let the 100 women get the... 90 24.13%

Let the 100 men get the l... 31 8.31%

Split the lifeboats 50/50 between the adults. 168 45.04%

Let everyone drown because I can't decide. 84 22.52%

Total:373
Aielyn said:

There is actually a good reason for prioritising women over men, and it's less about gender roles and more about biology.

Men are naturally stronger swimmers, etc, and tend to be physically larger. As such, putting the women on the boats would, conceptually, maximise the chances of the most people surviving - the women take up less space on the boat, and the men are more likely to survive "going down with the ship" than the women would be.

That being said, the absolute "women and children first" attitude isn't how it should be taken nowadays. It should be focused primarily on saving the largest number of lives. If it's a choice between an obese woman who is over 6 foot tall and a guy who is 5 foot tall with a slender build, the slender man should take priority, unless there is good reason to prioritise the woman.

Of course, I'm describing it in a very simplistic manner - it should be more nuanced than that, of course. And before anyone suggests it, no, I'm not suggesting that obese children be left off the boats. Children are a different case entirely - they don't have the choice to not board the boat, they have much more of their life left to live, and thus children should always be prioritised over adults.

EDIT: To put it even more simply - gender itself shouldn't factor into the question - not "50 men and 50 women" - that's not gender equality, that's factoring gender into the choice of who survives. Gender equality would be considering gender to not matter in deciding who gets onto the boat.

Women can hold their breath longer than men. That means they do have an advantage in the water. How about adding that in. This really shouldn't be a conversation. Because if the boat in question has not enough life boats. The company is white starded.

Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:

If she got really agressive at you, you should have slugged her in the face like you would if a guy got in your face the same way! Equility is great.

To be fair I wouldnt have sluged a guy either but Id probably have gotten way angrier. With the woman I was more shocked than anything, I was trying to process what the hell was happening to the world now that ppl take ofence when you ofer your seat on a crowded buss.

ganoncrotch said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Man or woman the captain should fulfill all duties of a captain.  She took the job so she should honor it.

Originally when this "women and children first" was uttered on ships the crew was almost exclusively men, so now that isn't the case in the slightest do you think all of the ships crew who are female should also man (microagression) their posts until they've helped fill all of the liferafts regardless of filling them  with Male passengers, just wondering your stance, I've said it much earlier I would put Gender very low on my list of reasons to allow someone space on a life raft.

The crew today has no gender. Women and children even today refers to normal citizens who are traveling on the ship. Again, any role that a woman can play that a man can do should be honored. Males with children are the exception depending on how many boats are in existence. Women who want to stay behind should not be stopped, but it is encouraged that they go first with children if they are bearing young, have young or plan on bearing young. I understand the situation that just because one can bear children doesnt mean they want or need to so exceptions should be made to women who want to stay behind. As I said, it should be an option for those who volunteer to help.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
ganoncrotch said:

Originally when this "women and children first" was uttered on ships the crew was almost exclusively men, so now that isn't the case in the slightest do you think all of the ships crew who are female should also man (microagression) their posts until they've helped fill all of the liferafts regardless of filling them  with Male passengers, just wondering your stance, I've said it much earlier I would put Gender very low on my list of reasons to allow someone space on a life raft.

The crew today has no gender. Women and children even today refers to normal citizens who are traveling on the ship. Again, any role that a woman can play that a man can do should be honored. Males with children are the exception depending on how many boats are in existence. Women who want to stay behind should not be stopped, but it is encouraged that they go first with children if they are bearing young, have young or plan on bearing young. I understand the situation that just because one can bear children doesnt mean they want or need to so exceptions should be made to women who want to stay behind. As I said, it should be an option for those who volunteer to help.

I'll be honest here, most of the people in the region I live who very regularly have kids would not be the sort of people who are good for the survival of our species, there are a lot of people who use this ability to simply gain more benefits not for the survival of the human race, as has been pointed out here, unless this is the last ship of humans on the planet, the fact that they can reproduce shouldn't really be a deciding factor, I would much prefer to have a doctor or scientist over a person who just has kids for benefits I mean.

I tried to word that as softly as possibly, but I'm not saying that the ability to produce kids is a bad thing obviously, deary me but I'm just saying having a Vagina doesn't make someone a good human being nor a benefit to the race or the surviving group at all.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I learned everything I needed to know about feminism from that Susan B. Anthony episode of The Power Puff Girls.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

I a believer in "Captain and his favorites" as first off the boat. Thanks, Kids In The Hall.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

ganoncrotch said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'll be honest here, most of the people in the region I live who very regularly have kids would not be the sort of people who are good for the survival of our species, there are a lot of people who use this ability to simply gain more benefits not for the survival of the human race, as has been pointed out here, unless this is the last ship of humans on the planet, the fact that they can reproduce shouldn't really be a deciding factor, I would much prefer to have a doctor or scientist over a person who just has kids for benefits I mean.

I tried to word that as softly as possibly, but I'm not saying that the ability to produce kids is a bad thing obviously, deary me but I'm just saying having a Vagina doesn't make someone a good human being nor a benefit to the race or the surviving group at all.

Survival in itself is not a moral thing. Its just biologically what we strive for to live another day. Its an impertative. Yes, we should save as many members of society who serve a purpose of helping and passing on knowledge in science, medical, arts, leadership etc. The question truthfully is based on a situation where a ship is in trouble and people should go overboard though. Reproduction should be a factor in any means of extreme survival as well as  having key memebers of society whom are decision markers.We should strive for a better future, but this should not come at the expense of forgetting how we survived in the past. Humans create artificial roles and both genders can enjoy those, but there are also biological roles and even the denial of this is truly insane. We are not a one sex Asexual society.

Unrealistic. It's silly that a ship has lifeboats that can seat one person. Of course, one wouldn't expect ships with lifeboats for everyone, but they must at least seat like 6-8 people.

Priority would be to assure the children have enough space to save themselves. However, adults obviously need to accompany them, so I believe both men and woman should get in boats equitably.

Women and Children first.

Feminist are crazy and need to realize that "total equality" is impossible because WE ARE DIFFERENT. With that said they are some things that happen that are unfair to women and sexism is definitely a bigger issue than racism

Children and parents first I guess. If you can only accept one parent I think its for them to decide and I'm quite confident the result will more often then not be women first. 

Once kids are out of the question I honestly don't think it matters, but due to general fragility/tenerness of women compared to men thats where much of the sympathy will go.

But theres really not right or moral answer as to who should die, arguably we should priotise people based on occupation and contribution to society. I.e scientists etc