By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Sony Need an Esport game?

Do they?

No 31 37.35%

Yes 22 26.51%

Maybe 4 4.82%

In the future 2 2.41%

It would be nice but not needed. 24 28.92%

Total:83

Everybody's Golf xD

Around the Network
Hiku said:
jason1637 said:

This thread is about exclusive wise.

I just made this thread because i have been thinking about the topic all day. Some benefits that comes across my head is more exposure. 

Street Fighter V tourneys will only be played on PS4. Sony sponsored Capcom Cup this year with half a million dollars.
To give you a reference, the previous year, which was funded by Capcom, only had $50 000 dollars spread out throughout the whole year. And first place at the Capcom Pro Tour Finals won $30 000. This year first place wins $120 000, courtesy of Sony. The rest is sperad out to the rest of the tournament, as well as the other tournaments throughout the whole year leading up to the finals, whch take place during Playstation Experience in December.

That's why every tournament will be on PS4. Also because having different version from tournament to tournament forces players to practice differently for each tournament, as one version of Street Fighter 4 has 6 frames of input lag, and another version has 4 frames of input lag, etc. (And I'm talking Offline, not Online.) And this is a game where one single frame can mean the difference of nailing a combo, or completely dropping it and get heavily punished. Having to adjust your muscle memory back and forth between tournaments is inconvenient, and something SF4 players don't want returning for SFV.
It already started earlier this year with every SF4 tournament being PS4 only. Every other year dating back to 2009 had been a mix of PS3 and 360.

So there's your answer. Playstation 4 is the system that gets more exposure in this regard. Even Ono's recent comment reflects this, where he told Xbox fans who want to play SFV to buy a PS4. He did not say "or a PC". It's because they are fully partnered with Sony in this, and will push more for the PS4 version whenever they can.

Im talking about 1st party full exclusive ;like smash and halo. I heard someone mention battle royal for ps vita and ps3. it would be cool if sony made a new battle royal game for ps4.

Sony needs an exclusive eSport game so that maybe the PS4 can catch up on sales.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

RIGS? theres been some pretty insane impressions about it

jason1637 said:
Ali_16x said:

And? Every tourney etc will feature the PS4 version of SFV. Same with CoD.

And do they really need one? What is esports going to do? You don't really explain the benefits of having a esport game.

This thread is about exclusive wise.

I just made this thread because i have been thinking about the topic all day. Some benefits that comes across my head is more exposure. 

Ok, but you aren't explaining why Sony needs an esport exclusive. What is that going to do for Sony?

Your title say's "Does Sony need an Esport game?", why would they need it? 

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network

Street Fighter is already in their grasp. Once Microsoft revealed Killer Instinct they knew they had to act quick or else the FGC was going to choose the Xbox One as their home. Sony hasnt had luck in the FPS genre at all. I think they need to focus on other things. You cant be superior in every genre.

No, it doesn't. PS4 is doing great without one.
More importantly, it should be noted that in the grand scheme of things, competitive gaming is a PC-centric business -- at least from an exclusive standpoint.
Sure, Xbox has Halo and Nintendo has Smash Bros., but these are drops in the bucket compared to the likes of competitive RTS's and MOBAs.

Yes in the long run that would be great for them

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

You mean Rigs? Yeah they're bringing it

I am Iron Man

No i dont think so