By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people want Link to be a girl?

archer9234 said:
burninmylight said:
There have been about a dozen different canon versions of Link. Link is more than a single person; Link is a vessel for the forces of good. Samus is a single person.

Link has virtually no personality. He has never been overtly macho, sexual, cocky or show any traits that define a gender either. The only time you get to see him speak (not hear) is during interactions with NPCs, and these conversations tend to be pretty gender-netural anyway.

When you see people asking for a female Link, are they asking for the option to play as a female character, or to make Link officially female in a new iteration? Because I see nothing wrong with the former, based on what I said above. Until Nintendo gives us Zelda: Other Z, when Link is given the voice and personality of Justin Bieber, there isn't a strong argument for a largely silent character with few defined traits and is ever changing to not give players the option.

As a minority gamer, it is an extremely big deal to me to be able to create MY avatar in a game with a customizable main character. Being forced to play as a white male character in such games tends to be a big turnoff to me. Therefore, I can see why there is a crowd out there that want to be represented better.

Basically, you want what Pokemon/Mass Effect does. Lets you choose the sex. But you aren't playing as the same character. Basically Nintendo has it in place. All future Zelda games could just have Link and Linkle be choices for now on. The rest of the story is unaltered. Except for gender terms being changed.

Exactly. Coincedentally, Pokemon and Mass Effect are the two games I primarily thought of when typing that post. There are a lot of things to dislike about XY, but character customization ain't one. It felt good being able to finally play as a black kid, and going back to having to play as Brandon or May is ORAS is a big reason I don't feel the need to acquire one of those games.

Mass Effect has hours and hours of dialogue and character building/definement, yet that doesn't stop the game from providing a female option. In Zelda, the closest thing you can do to give Link a defined personality is to choose different dialogue options with NPCs. And even then, most of them really aren't optional, they really only leave you with one option if you want to progress the game.

Around the Network

Because they like the idea of a female link, I don't think its that complicated.

Link is not such a static character for his gender to be hugely relevant. He's largley asexual and 100% mute. The only relevance his gender plays is on a personal one with each respective player. If we're mostly concerned with the image of Link, this depiction of Linkel is closer to the original carnation then reinventions in Windwaker 

I mean when players were put in the control of a child in Ocarina of time/Majora's Mask and Windwaker, they could have chosen to loose their shit and complained it was lame. I personally prefer a male link and would like to see a slightly more more mature version of the character (late 20s), so I completely understand how people want to see their own ideas of Link realised. 

Torillian said:
illdill1987 said:

It would just be an entiely different game. If you want a female protagonist create a new game. Link is a boy. Zelda is a girl. Link saves Zelda then they save hyrule usually from gannon. Link and Zelda are established characters. Changing the characters would change the game. It is really as simple as that.

I don't believe Gannon is in every game is he?  and Zelda isn't as she wasn't in the most recent title to my knowledge (Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes).  Seems like the developers are willing to change quite a bit and make it work within the mythos they've created, this would just be another small change.  Just take "young boy" and change it to "hero" and bam. 

good example with triforce heroes... Do a spin off game like that with a female character. I dont play the spin off games anyway. Every main game is the same hero being reborn, reincarnated... If you were a male in a past life you are not reborn female thats not how reincarnation works.

I think it's stupid, and I think it shouldn't happen, but nothing can be worse than the "Zelda needs to grow up with its audience" phase we're finally out of.

EDIT: And to be clear, all gender swapping is stupid, not just this one. Unless it's played for laughs, or done explicitely to develop a character, it doesn't belong anywhere.

illdill1987 said:
Torillian said:

I don't believe Gannon is in every game is he?  and Zelda isn't as she wasn't in the most recent title to my knowledge (Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes).  Seems like the developers are willing to change quite a bit and make it work within the mythos they've created, this would just be another small change.  Just take "young boy" and change it to "hero" and bam. 

good example with triforce heroes... Do a spin off game like that with a female character. I dont play the spin off games anyway. Every main game is the same hero being reborn, reincarnated... If you were a male in a past life you are not reborn female thats not how reincarnation works.

Is this parody?

Around the Network
illdill1987 said:
burninmylight said:
There have been about a dozen different canon versions of Link. Link is more than a single person; Link is a vessel for the forces of good. Samus is a single person.

Link has virtually no personality. He has never been overtly macho, sexual, cocky or show any traits that define a gender either. The only time you get to see him speak (not hear) is during interactions with NPCs, and these conversations tend to be pretty gender-netural anyway.

When you see people asking for a female Link, are they asking for the option to play as a female character, or to make Link officially female in a new iteration? Because I see nothing wrong with the former, based on what I said above. Until Nintendo gives us Zelda: Other Z, when Link is given the voice and personality of Justin Bieber, there isn't a strong argument for a largely silent character with few defined traits and is ever changing to not give players the option.

As a minority gamer, it is an extremely big deal to me to be able to create MY avatar in a game with a customizable main character. Being forced to play as a white male character in such games tends to be a big turnoff to me. Therefore, I can see why there is a crowd out there that want to be represented better.

... Link is a quiet hero but hes obviously always been a boy who saves a princess its a tale as old as time. And its a fundamental part of Zelda. They should never change it or it would be a completely different game.

You're going to have to explain to me why Link being male is absolutely fundamental to the game. Especially with a mythos as amorphous and abstract as the one in Zelda, where the lore is rewritten and changed all the time. Does "seven wise men" being changed to "seven sages" ring any bells?

illdill1987 said:
Torillian said:

I'm going to need a reference for that last statement.  Since one can be reincarnated as a completely different species in some religions I doubt that gender is an uncrossable barrier.  

Torillian said:
Metroid33slayer said:

What's wrong with being a white male. White males have built and invented the technology that made the modern world. And countries that have been founded and built by whites in North america and western europe are the freest and most liberal countries on the planet.

Whether or not being white is super great is beside the point (and really weird of you to say), the point is that one would like to be able to play as an avatar that represents themself when a game's main character has few or no defining traits.  

Thank you for saving me the trouble.

Because more females are gaming? At this rate Link might as well be a girl. It wouldn't stop me from gaming, but a game has got to make money right?

Link is a boy.

Saying he is not clearly a boy is fooling yourself and trying to fool others.

You can of course make a Zelda with a female main character, but she can never be Link, because Link is a boy.

''Hadouken!''