By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people want Link to be a girl?

The Legend of Zelda has always been a game following the silent male protagonist known as Link. That's how it was envisioned by the original creator and shouldn't be changed just to fit the ridiculous political correctness standard that plagues today's media. Why not ask for a game where you play as Zelda instead? Makes more sense in my eyes.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Metroid33slayer said:

What's wrong with being a white male. White males have built and invented the technology that made the modern world. And countries that have been founded and built by whites in North america and western europe are the freest and most liberal countries on the planet.

Whether or not being white is super great is beside the point (and really weird of you to say), the point is that one would like to be able to play as an avatar that represents themself when a game's main character has few or no defining traits.  

I'm totally against this because the whole game suffers because the lead character doesn't have a personality. It's also lazy because the developer doesn't have to create much dialogue for the main character so there is no interaction between the main character and other characters and NPC's. The only way to get around this is to create specific scenario's, cutscenes , dialogue and voice actors for every type of avatar available depending on species, race, gender, height, weight etc. This is practically impossible because the work load of this one game would be like working on multiple games at once.

One of the main reason i am not so hyped for xenoblade chronicles x is because of the customisable, personality free, mute character. Xenoblade chronicles on the hand had a proper protagonist (shulk). Imagine playing metal gear solid as a customisable character instead of solid snake, it would completely ruin the game.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Why not ask for a game where you play as Zelda instead? Makes more sense in my eyes.

Nope, that's not good enough. A "Legend of Zelda" actually starring Zelda would be perfect, but that won't sate the political side of this.

Female Link won't happen though, as Nintendo likes to keep their characters relatively consistent. Nintendo saw an opportunity here to add to their stable of characters with Linkle (about as bad a name as Waluigi) and took it, they'll surely use her in some capacity down the road as an alt to Link.

Because tits

Because being a social justice keyboard warrior and asking for things to be done in certain way is easier than stepping up and making the damn thing yourself.

Around the Network

The diffrence between Samus and Link is that samus is always the same Woman and every game is a diffrent point in her life, similar to Nathan Drake or Lara Croft. Link, on the other Hand is an accumulation of mostly entirely diffrent boys, born at diffrent time throughout History and just reincarnates whenever a Hero is needed.

So story- and lorewise there isn't really a reason Link couldn't be incarnated as a girl, since Link is diffrent people (with diffrent characters imo, WW Link was totally diffrent from OOT/MM Link for example) already.

I think this makes it attractive for people to speculate. Not having seen the IGN thing I wouldn't know, but I could imagine that Kallie Plagge was referin to this when she called Link an ambiguous character. Not that his character model doesn't look male,but that he has been many people on top of being a silent protagonist.

Also Zelda has a huge female fanbase as well, part of that probably would enjoy to see themselves represented too (and for the reasons I mentioned above, it seems possible without hurting the lore of the franchise).

I personally don't really mind either way, just give me Zelda and make it good.

I'm fine with Link being a female. It's a reincarnation cycle, so no reason the next Link can't be. That being said, I have no particular need for it either.

Prince Zeldor and Linka sounds great. ^^

And you know what? I don't care. I want a good game. If it's good he might be a gay turtle or so.

Metroid33slayer said:
Qwark said:
Because a female link is more political correct for some BS reasons. Would be the first girl which shuts her mouth for an entire game though. But you should adres this question at Marvel entertainment they are very good at changing existing characters so maybe they have better reasons like sales.

Being a man is politically incorrect WTF.

No 90% of your universe is political incorrect, just like an all white cast is incorrect these days.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

TheLegendaryWolf said:
The Legend of Zelda has always been a game following the silent male protagonist known as Link. That's how it was envisioned by the original creator and shouldn't be changed just to fit the ridiculous political correctness standard that plagues today's media. Why not ask for a game where you play as Zelda instead? Makes more sense in my eyes.

He also invisioned it as a Top down, open world dungeon- crawl type game instead of a 3d third person adventure game.

Things change and evolve along with technology and society and to brand one change as 'ridiculous political correctness' while seeing others as just natural evolvement of the medium is just hypocritical. (Not that I even think Link is going to be female in any capacity in the new Zelda, but has it ever entered you head that maybe, just maybe if it were that that would be a legitimate artistic choice? Or is it automatically catering, because it would be from male to female?) The original creator vision, while certainly of merit, should not be the absolute law, and sometimes new experimentation and reinterpretation of source material can benefit something immensely.

Clinging to something just because it was in the original is not beneficial for the evolution of either the fanchise or the medium. Yes, you have to strike a good balance between the old and the new and be careful with the chages you do make. Sometimes it will work out fantastically (OOT) and sometimes fail miserably (Zelda II). But you will only learn from experimentation.

Changing things up might, or might not be beneficial in this case. But using 'the original creators intent' as an argument to give credence to, what amounts to your own personal opinions, over others is cheap in any case. You would not like the change, and that's totally ok. Just don't make it seem like the change would corrupt the fanchise, because that just not true in this particular case.

As for a Zelda spinoff? Awesome! Go for it!