By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people want Link to be a girl?

Sure, I would be down with that. Link is reincarnated all the time, so what dictates that Link has to be born a man every time? Would be interesting to see.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
There have been about a dozen different canon versions of Link. Link is more than a single person; Link is a vessel for the forces of good. Samus is a single person.

Link has virtually no personality. He has never been overtly macho, sexual, cocky or show any traits that define a gender either. The only time you get to see him speak (not hear) is during interactions with NPCs, and these conversations tend to be pretty gender-netural anyway.

When you see people asking for a female Link, are they asking for the option to play as a female character, or to make Link officially female in a new iteration? Because I see nothing wrong with the former, based on what I said above. Until Nintendo gives us Zelda: Other Z, when Link is given the voice and personality of Justin Bieber, there isn't a strong argument for a largely silent character with few defined traits and is ever changing to not give players the option.

As a minority gamer, it is an extremely big deal to me to be able to create MY avatar in a game with a customizable main character. Being forced to play as a white male character in such games tends to be a big turnoff to me. Therefore, I can see why there is a crowd out there that want to be represented better.

Basically, you want what Pokemon/Mass Effect does. Lets you choose the sex. But you aren't playing as the same character. Basically Nintendo has it in place. All future Zelda games could just have Link and Linkle be choices for now on. The rest of the story is unaltered. Except for gender terms being changed.

burninmylight said:
There have been about a dozen different canon versions of Link. Link is more than a single person; Link is a vessel for the forces of good. Samus is a single person.

Link has virtually no personality. He has never been overtly macho, sexual, cocky or show any traits that define a gender either. The only time you get to see him speak (not hear) is during interactions with NPCs, and these conversations tend to be pretty gender-netural anyway.

When you see people asking for a female Link, are they asking for the option to play as a female character, or to make Link officially female in a new iteration? Because I see nothing wrong with the former, based on what I said above. Until Nintendo gives us Zelda: Other Z, when Link is given the voice and personality of Justin Bieber, there isn't a strong argument for a largely silent character with few defined traits and is ever changing to not give players the option.

As a minority gamer, it is an extremely big deal to me to be able to create MY avatar in a game with a customizable main character. Being forced to play as a white male character in such games tends to be a big turnoff to me. Therefore, I can see why there is a crowd out there that want to be represented better.

... Link is a quiet hero but hes obviously always been a boy who saves a princess its a tale as old as time. And its a fundamental part of Zelda. They should never change it or it would be a completely different game.

burninmylight said:

What's wrong with being a white male. White males have built and invented the technology that made the modern world. And countries that have been founded and built by whites in North america and western europe are the freest and most liberal countries on the planet.

illdill1987 said:
Torillian said:
illdill1987 said:

The game always talks about a prophecy where a BOY will save hyrule. And Zelda is always a GIRL who also saves hyrule they have equal roles to play.

I'd like a link for that, because I haven't been able to find anything with a simple google search.  If that's the case then I guess at least Nintendo has remained consistent within their own mythos. 

well this is just the opening to windwaker but they all talk about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX5Tp4sZbFQ

Mk, so it's not the same world with a hero being chosen, it's a different universe with a different prophecy that says a young boy will save things if I understand correctly.  Given that the prophecy does change specifics between iterations (from my understanding again) what would be the issue with a universe where the prophecy wasn't quite as gender specific?

Around the Network
Metroid33slayer said:
burninmylight said:

What's wrong with being a white male. White males have built and invented the technology that made the modern world. And countries that have been founded and built by whites in North america and western europe are the freest and most liberal countries on the planet.

Whether or not being white is super great is beside the point (and really weird of you to say), the point is that one would like to be able to play as an avatar that represents themself when a game's main character has few or no defining traits.  

Some people really just want to Link to be different, because they would like so, for reasons.Others want this because of agendas, like the social justice nonsense.The funny thing is, when they proposed that,joking, that samus should be a boy now, that same girl(which irritated me a bit also) almost had an heart atack when heard that.

Look, im nothing against having female leads.Im actually in favor for it, if it fits in the story and the character would be better off as a woman.But Link is character with tradition and history.Why the hell change his gender just for the sake of it?the same would aplly to Samus, or any character with long history.If you want a female lead in a Zelda game, just make a new character, make a new female lead character, but dont change Link into a girl just for the sake of it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Torillian said:
illdill1987 said:
Torillian said:
illdill1987 said:

The game always talks about a prophecy where a BOY will save hyrule. And Zelda is always a GIRL who also saves hyrule they have equal roles to play.

I'd like a link for that, because I haven't been able to find anything with a simple google search.  If that's the case then I guess at least Nintendo has remained consistent within their own mythos. 

well this is just the opening to windwaker but they all talk about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX5Tp4sZbFQ

Mk, so it's not the same world with a hero being chosen, it's a different universe with a different prophecy that says a young boy will save things if I understand correctly.  Given that the prophecy does change specifics between iterations (from my understanding again) what would be the issue with a universe where the prophecy wasn't quite as gender specific?

It would just be an entiely different game. If you want a female protagonist create a new game. Link is a boy. Zelda is a girl. Link saves Zelda then they save hyrule usually from gannon. Link and Zelda are established characters. Changing the characters would change the game. It is really as simple as that.

What's the problem with Link being a girl? The whole Hero of Hyrule thing is like a resurrection cycle, right? It's bound to happen sooner or later that a female incarnation occurs. Like with Missy in Doctor Who.

But SIGs always gotta be pissy about something.

illdill1987 said:
Torillian said:

It would just be an entiely different game. If you want a female protagonist create a new game. Link is a boy. Zelda is a girl. Link saves Zelda then they save hyrule usually from gannon. Link and Zelda are established characters. Changing the characters would change the game. It is really as simple as that.

I don't believe Gannon is in every game is he?  and Zelda isn't as she wasn't in the most recent title to my knowledge (Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes).  Seems like the developers are willing to change quite a bit and make it work within the mythos they've created, this would just be another small change.  Just take "young boy" and change it to "hero" and bam.