By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-on With PS4's PS2 Emulation (Confirmed)

Teeqoz said:
BasilZero said:
I hope this leads to/means that PS1 and PS2 emulation/games from PS3 PSN can be transferred to PS4 PSN....ya as if Sony will do that.

Well you could play PS1 Classic titles on Vita if you bought them on PS3 (and vice versa). Why are people always so quick to assume the worst possible outcome?

Because most times the worst thing is true.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
SvennoJ said:
It would be nice to have BC support with all those upgrades.

I still have Persona 3 FES and DQ8 for ps2 which I never played. I could play them on ps2, yet why not with better load times and 1080p compatible output. However I didn't have time for them when they came out, still don't have time for even more long games.

I'll probably spend a few bucks to play the old burnout games again. I don't expect it to be free, but it would be nice if you could buy a license to use the old disk at a discount or buy the emulator. I can also just buy them again, PS2 Burnout was fun. I don't mind spending money on fun again. I've also re-bought PC games on GoG for the convenience of not having to figure out how to get them to run on modern windows myself. (Or find the disks in that moving box under the stairs)

Go play P3 FES right now, it's SO GOOD.
Heard DQVIII is also great, you should really give your PS2 another shot asap XP

I really should. I had just finished my 1080p home theater when I bought them. And while I have played ps2 games on a CRT projector before (on a smaller screen), on a 1080p LCD projector they give me a headache. Very uncomfortable to watch. I started DQ8 and gave up on it after an hour, too hard to watch. Maybe when I get a wave of nostalgia I'll fire up that old CRT tv again, meanwhile I'll keep hoping for BC or HD versions.

Hynad said:
outlawauron said:

I hope this wasn't a serious post Hynad.

What if it was?

Then I'm sad that you don't know how Bluray players work.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Wait a minute... Sony fans have told me BC is s move done out desperation. What does this mean?

Seriously though, great news. I still dabble in PS1 and PS2 games. Good games dont expire.

BC doesnt/didnt matter when Microsoft started doing that. I hope the same people that said that about Xbox One BC, keep that same stance here

Yeah, I feel like you and others completely miss the point when it comes to backwards compatibility. It's a nice feature that I hope to see in all platforms, but to argue it's anything more than a nice feature is misguided. In the scheme of which console is going to sell more, it doesn't matter.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

PwerlvlAmy said:

bc is bc as far as im concerned. PS4 ends up playing PS1/PS2 games is still BC. So the same people that gave Microsoft crap for BC, should have the same stance on Sony and BC imo. If this even leads to full fledged ps1/ps2 bc that is

its the only way not to be hypocritical imo

Who gave Microsoft crap for BC? I've only ever seen people say that BC isn't that big of a deal (a sentiment I share), and that it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (once again, I agree with that). That is not the same as people giving crap to MS for BC, and if there were anyone who did, it couldn't gave been many.

BC is just nice to have, but very very few people care to any notable extent.

Around the Network

1: Backwards compatibility isn't a system seller. While it allows you to free up space on your TV Stand, it is no way a reason to buy a PS4 or an XB1.

2: I'm going to personally use the crap out of this because I have a large collection of PS2 games (both digitally and on disc, though we'll see if the latter matters in due time).

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

outlawauron said:
Hynad said:

What if it was?

Then I'm sad that you don't know how Bluray players work.

There's always something to learn, everyday.

I wasn't born omniscient. 

BraLoD said:

Really? That's sad. I've been playing PS2 and even PS1 games on a 1080p LED screen and only PS1 games seem to suffer there as their standard resolution and low polygon count can really get apparent there, but even so it doesn't bother me, but PS2 games I had no problem there, P3 FES looks great there (played with PS2 emulation on PS3, though).

I played FF12 with BC on ps3 on a 1080p lcd tv. Yet when I went big I didn't want to play with bigger pixels :) Instead I was lured away by the 360. I was late getting those games, there was so much to play on ps2.
I bought the original Wipeout on ps3 from nostalgia. It's playable, but so rough nowadays. Worlfenstein 3D, much older, looks pretty good at 1080p. Plays so much easier with strafing.

Anyway if they add ps2 emulation, I'm bound to spend a few bucks on nostalgia. The original burnout, chain boosting the city bus through rush hour reversed never got old.