By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-on With PS4's PS2 Emulation (Confirmed)

GribbleGrunger said:
Hankoney said:
Well, this is great news. Although I really don't care for disc emulation, all my PS2 games were pirated anyway, and I sold them all with my console sometime in 2008/9.

I'm already making a list of games to play (with a whole lot of wishful thinking) - Bully is at #1

I admire your honesty and despise your integrity.

A non-modded PS2 was like an unicorn back then, there were people that claimed to have seen one. Stores (as in legal enterprises) sold games for 4-5 Marks, on Traxdata discs with a color copied front cover.

Those were the good old always offline days, though. Some stuck to their guns with X360, again sold modded in legal stores, but most just stayed with PS3/4 taking advantage of sharing loopholes as long as possible.

Around the Network
Hankoney said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Hankoney said:
Well, this is great news. Although I really don't care for disc emulation, all my PS2 games were pirated anyway, and I sold them all with my console sometime in 2008/9.

I'm already making a list of games to play (with a whole lot of wishful thinking) - Bully is at #1

I admire your honesty and despise your integrity.

A non-modded PS2 was like an unicorn back then, there were people that claimed to have seen one. Stores (as in legal enterprises) sold games for 4-5 Marks, on Traxdata discs with a color copied front cover.

Those were the good old always offline days, though. Some stuck to their guns with X360, again sold modded in legal stores, but most just stayed with PS3/4 taking advantage of sharing loopholes as long as possible.

And to think that there has been a unicorn stored in a box on top of the closet shelf in my home office after all this time.

Would love to play Gran Turismo 3 on PS4.

Do you need to purchase the games again or what? And why do they do this at the side of PSNow? That seems weird.

Puppyroach said:
Do you need to purchase the games again or what? And why do they do this at the side of PSNow? That seems weird.

Why would you have to rebuy them? 

Around the Network

I'm waiting for that Dark Chronicle 2 with trophies.

BasilZero said:
Teeqoz said:

Well you could play PS1 Classic titles on Vita if you bought them on PS3 (and vice versa). Why are people always so quick to assume the worst possible outcome?

Because I dont have a Vita?

Also business wise I dont think they will bring in emulation or b/c considering they have PSNow - has nothing to do with being a worst possible outcome - but a realistic observation ;o.

Them only releasing PS Classics for PSNow is a different scenario altogether than it not being cross-buy with other PS Classics, and thus completely different from what you said, but sure

Either way, it makes no sense to make an emulator for the PS4 only for them to not use it, and instead stream games from some otherplace :-3

I don't know why a ps3 game streaming service that runs on custom ps3s keeps coming up on a thread about PS2 emulation running locally on PS4s. The mind boggles.

This is pretty big news!
There some great improvements here.

If this works, it will be a godsend! I gave away my PS2 (I owned three and two broke) when I got my BC 80gb Ps3 (which also broke) and I have a ton of games with no console to play them on.