By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-on With PS4's PS2 Emulation (Confirmed)

hhmm... neat, it would be cool if they allowed us to put out discs in the PS4 and play that way, but I've even take just being able to buy PS1/2 games on the PS4. Mostly, Battlefront 2, and GT4.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Holy shit... did anyone actually watch the video?
Better resolution, 60 fps, better post processing to eliminate jaggies....
and trophy support!

That is impressive stuff. As long as they are fairly generous to those who had the games already.
Cant wait to play..... everything!

GribbleGrunger said:

I cannot see how Sony can give PS2 owners a shortcut here. As much as it would be great for PS2 owners (who happen to still own copies of their beloved games) to be able to just stick in a disc and play, I don't see it as a feasible solution. Perhaps I'm wrong on that, I don't know, but IF this IS TRUE emulation and not only on a game by game basis, we could be looking at a treasure trove of memories that would resonate with the older demographic ... ME!

I shouldn't be like this. I should be watching news at 10, complaining at the neighbour's kids or telling people how 'things have changed since my day' but I'm not ... I'm still a kid in a 57 year old body enjoying the memories. Life can be fun. Video games prove that.

they could easily make every game run at least in 480p and then slap trophy support and higher resolution etc. for the digital avaible games in the store. 480p is a huge improvement over 480i because its progressive 

Ruler said:

lol and people still doubt this feature as insignificant, just keep your PS2 they say...
They need to make an universal emulator, it would be a huge boon for PlayStation if every ps2 game could even run half like this and of course CD based too.

PS2 game going from 480i 30fps to 1292x896 60fps, this is a huge imrpovement 

It probably would be. While it would make a lot of people happy, and i think we should encourage Sony to introduce such features, i doubt we'd suddenly see a significant rise in sales because of it. That's what people mean when they call such things 'insignificant'.

Bryank75 said:
and trophy support!

That is impressive stuff. As long as they are fairly generous to those who had the games already.

I wouldn't count on all games getting trophy support They have to actually make the trophies to get that

Possibly for first party titles, but no way all third party games will get trophies. In fact I'd wager nearly no 3rd party games will get trophy support

Around the Network
Bryank75 said:
and trophy support!

I think people watched it. Those that are OLD PS fans are 'hopeful' and those that are not are 'Cynical'. I'm in the 'I haven't got a clue but this would be incredible' group. Why do you think I putt 'Yeah, me too' in the thread title?

The PS5 Exists. 

Personally I've got no problems buying PS2 games digitally, regardless of whether I own them already or can pick them up for peanuts second hand. Provided they are upscaled to a degree like in the videos, support trophies etc I don't mind buying them. So long as each game is under £10 or so, I think its a fair price. In fact, it would absolutely skint me even still when I think of all the PS2 games I'd go through again!

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Well, this is great news. Although I really don't care for disc emulation, all my PS2 games were pirated anyway, and I sold them all with my console sometime in 2008/9.

I'm already making a list of games to play (with a whole lot of wishful thinking) - Bully is at #1

GribbleGrunger said:
aLkaLiNE said:
Here's to hoping that we get disc based emulation that supports >95% of titles at launch... similar to PS3's PS2 emulation (albeit through brute force this time as opposed to hardware emulation).

Very, very unlikely.

Not as unlikely as it sounds really. PS2 games are formatted on a DVD disc which the PS4 is capable of reading.  I'm sure they've had an x86 based software emulator for PS2 for quite some time now, there's been rumors floating around for years about trophy support coming to the 'Classics' part of PSN (PS2 games mostly), as demonstrated in the video, the PS4 actually plays PS2 games BETTER than a PS2....

The only reason I could see them shying away from allowing disc support would be for the loss of revenue.  However, and I don't know the statistics behind this so it's all conjecture, but how many people really still have PS2 discs laying around? Okay, now how many of them have a PS4? I could see Sony rewarding these people for being a part of the family for so long. The loss of profit is not as big of a factor as it sounds because these are the same people that have been bying into the ecosystem all these years anyway - the same people that have already bought the hardware, both times over, invested themselves into software new and old, etc.  Go look around Craigslist and see how often you'll find people trying to sell PS2 hardware/software... it's not that often.  The only ones left that have discs in useable condition probably wouldn't try to sell them anytime soon anyway.

And after how badly MS fucked up their 'backwards compatibility', this would make for some significant PR.  

Hankoney said:
Well, this is great news. Although I really don't care for disc emulation, all my PS2 games were pirated anyway, and I sold them all with my console sometime in 2008/9.

I'm already making a list of games to play (with a whole lot of wishful thinking) - Bully is at #1

I admire your honesty and despise your integrity.

The PS5 Exists.