By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now that Fallout 4 has dropped the GOTY conversation can actually start

Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are my picks to win most awards. With that said, I didn't like witcher 3 at all.

Around the Network

Xenoblade isn't out yet, that could be another contender.

Really, though, unless it's a 3D Mario game or Zelda title, Nintendo exclusives don't usually get a ton of consideration for GOTY. Splatoon and Xenoblade might snap up one or two (there's a pretty good chance that Eurogamer will give theirs to Splatoon) but I'm expecting most of the awards to probably go to Witcher 3 this year. Which I find rather depressing.

So that's my guess. Witcher 3 getting the largest chunk of awards. Bloodborne, MGSV, Battlefront, Fallout 4, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Pillars of Eternity, Kerbal Space Program and Crypt of the Necrodancer maybe having a shot at an award here or there.

Given most GOTY's are handed out by people who's reviews contribute to meta-scores it would surprise me if FO4 won most GOTYs. Across all 3 platforms the metascores are in the 80s, while The Witcher has across the board metascores in the 90s and Bloodborne's meta is 92. So while some reviewers / gaming websites will no doubt prefer FO4 over anything else the stats suggest the GOTY spoils will be pretty evenly shared around between a number of games.

I personally haven't played any of the real contenders for GOTY this year. I've played Arkham Knight and I would be surprised if it won any GOTYs.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

arkham knight

I havent played MGS5 yet so the witcher 3 so far

Around the Network

Will not pass judgement until Xenoblade Chronicles X drops.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

What is everyone on about? Xenoblade will be lucky to be in the top 5 nominees. Out of 100 GOTYs it will maybe get 2.

Boob slider.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm already more invested in Fallout 4 than I was in all of my play through in The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 should get an award for story telling yet Bethesda knows how to make a compelling open world sand box.
I have not played Bloodborne yet nor MGS5 or Life is strange. Mario maker deserves a nomination and I'm looking forward to playing Xenoblade as well.

No poll?

Anyway, Witcher 3 for me. It really set a new standard for storytelling and the quality of side quests is amazing for such a large world.

Fallout 4 is incredible so far, but I won't make a judgement until I've played more of it, and Metal Gear Solid V was also brilliant. It's been a good year for games imo.

TheVoraciousFox said:

Xenoblade isn't actually out yet so you may want to hold off. :/

This, but Splatoon is my game of the year so far, followed by Until Dawn and Mario Maker.