By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Zelda U - Clearly female link in image.

Teeqoz said:

Am I wrong? Tbh, most of my knowledge about the Zelda franchise is from Game Theory, so I might've missed something xD

No, you're in the right. With the exception of direct sequels like Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass, most Zelda games feature an entirely new hero. Heck, Link is only the default name; almost every title gives you the option to name your hero. Anyone who believes there is only one Link honestly doesn't have much familiarity with the franchise.

That being said, I really don't expect this version of Link to be female, just because I doubt Nintendo is looking to make any big changes to one of their oldest game formulas. Though I honestly don't see a problem with it either. 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Shiken said:
If Link is female, I clearly will sit this entry out.

That bad, huh?

Yep, can't stand playing as a female character.  Takes from the role play experience from me as I have no desire to portray a woman.  Not anything wrong with it, just not for me.

Also they would be butchering a franchise tradition by changing an established icons gender.  It would be just as bad as making Samus a male for some reason.  Now if they made the game with ZELDA as the lead, I could give it a shot.  I wouldn't enjoy it as much, but at least they would not be changing any exsisting icons.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Have you just forgotten that they've already shown us Link or something?

It's clearly the same one we've already seen. Who is a fairly effeminate boy, quite clearly.

I honestly thought that too as soon as Linkle was revealed. There is a similarity between her and the Link in Zelda U for sure. Also Link looked more female than before in this new footage I thought. I agree with those saying maybe they will let us choose male or female for the game. Could see that being the case and explain why he has looked more masculine in some footage than others.

Also why make this Linkle character at all for Warriors if she wasn't going to factor into a future Zelda game? Seems awfully suspicious to me.

SpokenTruth said:
Shiken said:
SpokenTruth said:

That bad, huh?

Yep, can't stand playing as a female character.  Takes from the role play experience from me as I have no desire to portray a woman.  Not anything wrong with it, just not for me.

Gee, I wonder how women feel being forced to play as a man then?

Wouldn't blame them for feeling the same as me.  However if you quoted the entire post instead of just one sentence, you would know that it isn't just about that in this case.  Nice try though.  ;)

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

There is nothing clear about that image

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I started to get the feeling that future Zelda games are going to offer male and female character choice like Pokemon.

Teeqoz said:

Nothing is said there that implies that all incarnations of Link have to be male though. Just that the one featured in that specific game is male, which I'm obviously not contesting.

Nothing implies that Mario has to be a man either but that's what we expect. Nothing implies that Samus has to be a woman, but again, that's what she is and what we want her to be. Link is a boy/man. If Nintendo wants another female protagonist then they should make a new IP and feature one. 

SpokenTruth said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Teeqoz said:

Nothing is said there that implies that all incarnations of Link have to be male though. Just that the one featured in that specific game is male, which I'm obviously not contesting.

Nothing implies that Mario has to be a man either but that's what we expect. Nothing implies that Samus has to be a woman, but again, that's what she is and what we want her to be. Link is a boy/man. If Nintendo wants another female protagonist then they should make a new IP and feature one. 

Mario is the same person from his first game to his last game.

Link is actually a different physical person in most of the games. 

Link, Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Samus, Master Chief and Megaman are all fictional characters created by the imagination of the human mind. They can be whatever the creators of their next games want them to be. There are no "rules" with make believe. Technically, Mario can be a lizard in his next game. But the question is... should he be? I don't believe he should be because I believe when you create a character or legend and it becomes iconic and a part of our world, then it takes on a life outside of the creators mind. At that point, it's as much the worlds property as it is theirs.

Link has always been a boy or young man. For 30 years, that's what he's always been. Forcing a sex change on this character at this point is wrong because it's figuratively no longer just Nintendo's alone. Link belongs to us too and the vast, vast.... VAST majority would not stand for him to be anything other than a "him".

Ah yeah, you can't really tell from that pixely face, but when fully seen from a far you can notice it is a guy :v Specially since from Linkle we now know how awful a FemLink would look, and the one in trailer doesn't look similar at all. The only thing you could relate is the ponytail, and if that was added to the classical Link design you can be sure it will be used as a plot point, specially seeing how he looks as an outlaw, and in Japan it is a samurai tradition to cut your hair when you decide to change to better, so expect that too happen once Link begans his journey to become the hero Hyrule needs.

And if by any chance that is actually a woman, the only possibility is Hylia. The backstory of SS has always seemed a bit weird, unless Hylia is also one of the Spirits of Good, since that would explain why Demise could cause such damage she knew it would take ages for her to recover and wouldn't be enoug to maintain the seal. The only other possibility is that Hylia was no real goddess, instead she was a mortal that obtained godly powers, which explains a lot of things:

- Hylia's "godly powers" doesn't exactly look like what a goddess could do, they do not look natural, all of her creations look mechanical, from Fi to the Gates of Time. Aside that she needed to use Timeshift Stones to make the Gates and not just use her powers.

- Hylia's wings, they are incosistent. All of her statues show her with wings, but then, comes the backstory and the mysterious paintings in the Sealed Grounds that show her wingless, which would mean she didn't had any wings, since thoe paintings were mot surely done by Impa, and she should know. This would mean her wings represent either her connection to the Loftwings or... the sacred feets that permit you to cross the valley of the dead... the Hover Boots.

- Her out of place weakness, for a Goddess that has protected the Triforce for ages, she falled surprisingly easy to the hands of Demise, only being able to seal him and not forever.

This must comes from somewhere, and the possibility is that she is human. Now how she survived so long? It is noticeable she has amazing crafting skills if she is indeed the person in the trailer, if she culd forge such a powerful arrow, this would easily permit her to craft the Gates of Time and a Timeshift necklace to give her immortality, a necklace we have already seen in use in another person... Old Impa.

Of course, looking what we have seen of Zelda U, the game can only fit in one place of the timeline... Pre-SS. That being the case, the playable characters could only be Link(The chosen hero mentionedi n the Wing Ceremony) or Hylia. So if you insist the character is a woman, then the term you are looking for is Hylia, not Female Link.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst