By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Zelda U - Clearly female link in image.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Teeqoz said:

Link doesn't have a gender. I mean, I haven't played Zelda, but afaik the reason he's called Link is because he is literally just a link amongst incarnations of heroes. Who's to say Link's gender can't change from one incarnation to another?

Had this been any other character I'd see where you were coming from, but Link isn't one character. "He" is several. So one of those characters could be female.

This is from the NES manual.

A long, long time ago the World was in an age of Chaos. In the middle of this chaos, in a little kingdom in the land of Hyrule, a legend was being banded down from generation to generation, the legend of the "Triforce"; golden triangles possessing mystical powers. One day, an evil army attacked this peaceful little kingdom and stole the Triceforce of Power. This army was led by Gannon, the powerful Prince of Darkness who sought to plunge the World into fear and darkness under his rule. Fearing his wicked rule, Zelda, the princess of this kingdom, split up the Triforce of Wisdom into eight fragments and hid them throughout the realm to save the last remaining Triforce from the cluthes of the evil Gannon. At the same time, she commanded her most trustworthy nursemaid, Impa, to secretly escape into the land and go find a man with enough courage to destroy the evil Gannon. Upon hearing this, Gannon grew angry, imprisoned the princess, and sent out a party in search of Impa. Braving forests and mountains, Impa fled for her life from her pursuers. As she reached the very limit of her energy she found herself surrounded by Gannon's evil henchmen. Cornered! What could she do? ... But wait! All was not lost. A young lad appeared. He skillfully drove off Gannon's henchmen, and saved Impa from a fate worse than death. His name was Link. During his travels he had come across Impa and Gannon's henchmen. Impa told Link the whole story of the princess Zelda and the evil Gannon. Burning with a sense of justice, Link resolved to save Zelda, but Gannon was a powerful opponent. He held the Triforce of Power. And so, in order to fight off Gannon, Link had to bring the scattered eight fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom together to rebuild the mystical Triangle. If he couldn't do this, there would be no chance Link could fight his way into Death Mountain where Gannon lived. Can Link really destroy Gannon and save the Princess Zelda? Only your skill can answer that question. Good luck. Use the Triforce wisely.
His sex is clearly defined and has been from the very start.

Yep. Also Aryll calls you "brother", not "sister".

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Teeqoz said:

Link doesn't have a gender. I mean, I haven't played Zelda, but afaik the reason he's called Link is because he is literally just a link amongst incarnations of heroes. Who's to say Link's gender can't change from one incarnation to another?

Had this been any other character I'd see where you were coming from, but Link isn't one character. "He" is several. So one of those characters could be female.

This is from the NES manual.

A long, long time ago the World was in an age of Chaos. In the middle of this chaos, in a little kingdom in the land of Hyrule, a legend was being banded down from generation to generation, the legend of the "Triforce"; golden triangles possessing mystical powers. One day, an evil army attacked this peaceful little kingdom and stole the Triceforce of Power. This army was led by Gannon, the powerful Prince of Darkness who sought to plunge the World into fear and darkness under his rule. Fearing his wicked rule, Zelda, the princess of this kingdom, split up the Triforce of Wisdom into eight fragments and hid them throughout the realm to save the last remaining Triforce from the cluthes of the evil Gannon. At the same time, she commanded her most trustworthy nursemaid, Impa, to secretly escape into the land and go find a man with enough courage to destroy the evil Gannon. Upon hearing this, Gannon grew angry, imprisoned the princess, and sent out a party in search of Impa. Braving forests and mountains, Impa fled for her life from her pursuers. As she reached the very limit of her energy she found herself surrounded by Gannon's evil henchmen. Cornered! What could she do? ... But wait! All was not lost. A young lad appeared. He skillfully drove off Gannon's henchmen, and saved Impa from a fate worse than death. His name was Link. During his travels he had come across Impa and Gannon's henchmen. Impa told Link the whole story of the princess Zelda and the evil Gannon. Burning with a sense of justice, Link resolved to save Zelda, but Gannon was a powerful opponent. He held the Triforce of Power. And so, in order to fight off Gannon, Link had to bring the scattered eight fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom together to rebuild the mystical Triangle. If he couldn't do this, there would be no chance Link could fight his way into Death Mountain where Gannon lived. Can Link really destroy Gannon and save the Princess Zelda? Only your skill can answer that question. Good luck. Use the Triforce wisely.
His sex is clearly defined and has been from the very start.

Nothing is said there that implies that all incarnations of Link have to be male though. Just that the one featured in that specific game is male, which I'm obviously not contesting.

#LINKLE4SMASH

Its definily not "clear"

And no, Nintendpo wouldnt do it.Not now at least

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I think the new Zelda story will have Link turning Female and Male at the same time.... 

Around the Network

I dont get this fascination with having a female Link!

superchunk said:
Wyrdness said:
Let it go man let it go, it was debunked long ago, he's just feminine looking made more so since this game is more anime inspired and Link is most likely base on Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke.

Compare that face. NOT THE SAME.

That is Linkle in the new Zelda U imagry.

Is this comedy? How can we compare the faces when they're at completely different angles and have different expressions on. 

I don't think so, it looks like the normal Link from E3 2014. Remember he had those long side hair as well as a ponytail.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I think the point of Link is that he is the *ahem* "link" between the player and the game world. This idea is enforced by having link never talk, because there would be a disconnect from the player and the game (rather than in some games where you play as a character and take on their traits, IMO in zelda you are the main character and act like you would in the situation) I think, for a while, the player base was primarily male, so having a male "link" to the game made sense. Now I think that the player base has grown more diverse over the years (perhaps with Legend of Zelda more than most) that a female link would perhaps make more sense. As such I have no qualms with a female link to allow for a more accurate incarnation in the game for half of the player base. It would reinforce the rhetorical value of the name "link".

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

mountaindewslave said:

that seems far from obvious from that picture. Link has looked feminine many times yet remained male