By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Zelda U - Clearly female link in image.

Fight-the-Streets said:
I would hat it, if you can choose between male or female. It makes sense for Splatoon but not for iconic franchises with a defined (yet changeable) iconic hero. I always loved that Nintendo had strong characters where there wasn't a need for a "choose your character" in the title screen. Maro, Link, Samus Aran, Kirby, Yoshi, etc. are strong enough, there's no need for a selection.

This. I don't understand people's obsession to change Link from male to female. There's nothing wrong with keeping him as a male.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

If it's a female link, I'm done. Mario is a guy, Samus is a girl, Link is a guy... you don't just fuck with something as substantial as the sex of a character. That's just all kinds of wrong imho.

AlfredoTurkey said:
If it's a female link, I'm done. Mario is a guy, Samus is a girl, Link is a guy... you don't just fuck with something as substantial as the sex of a character. That's just all kinds of wrong imho.

Semus to be the male Metroid guy right?

AlfredoTurkey said:

Link doesn't have a gender. I mean, I haven't played Zelda, but afaik the reason he's called Link is because he is literally just a link amongst incarnations of heroes. Who's to say Link's gender can't change from one incarnation to another?

Had this been any other character I'd see where you were coming from, but Link isn't one character. "He" is several. So one of those characters could be female.

Teeqoz said:

Link doesn't have a gender.

Your wrong on that count.

Around the Network

We've already seen Link, it's a guy, stop this.

Teeqoz said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Link doesn't have a gender. I mean, I haven't played Zelda, but afaik the reason he's called Link is because he is literally just a link amongst incarnations of heroes. Who's to say Link's gender can't change from one incarnation to another?

Had this been any other character I'd see where you were coming from, but Link isn't one character. "He" is several. So one of those characters could be female.

Exactly. He is a boy in green in most games.

I got to admit that the video leaves room for doubt; this particular "image" isn't exactly clear and having Linkle as a character in Hyrule Warriors and Aonuma's joke about the sex of the character... suspicious...

Like Darwin mentioned in the first page, there could be a way to have both and i honestly wouldn't mind.
It would be one of those convention changes that Aonuma spoke about in 2013.

Teeqoz said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

This is from the NES manual.

A long, long time ago the World was in an age of Chaos. In the middle of this chaos, in a little kingdom in the land of Hyrule, a legend was being banded down from generation to generation, the legend of the "Triforce"; golden triangles possessing mystical powers. One day, an evil army attacked this peaceful little kingdom and stole the Triceforce of Power. This army was led by Gannon, the powerful Prince of Darkness who sought to plunge the World into fear and darkness under his rule. Fearing his wicked rule, Zelda, the princess of this kingdom, split up the Triforce of Wisdom into eight fragments and hid them throughout the realm to save the last remaining Triforce from the cluthes of the evil Gannon. At the same time, she commanded her most trustworthy nursemaid, Impa, to secretly escape into the land and go find a man with enough courage to destroy the evil Gannon. Upon hearing this, Gannon grew angry, imprisoned the princess, and sent out a party in search of Impa. Braving forests and mountains, Impa fled for her life from her pursuers. As she reached the very limit of her energy she found herself surrounded by Gannon's evil henchmen. Cornered! What could she do? ... But wait! All was not lost. A young lad appeared. He skillfully drove off Gannon's henchmen, and saved Impa from a fate worse than death. His name was Link. During his travels he had come across Impa and Gannon's henchmen. Impa told Link the whole story of the princess Zelda and the evil Gannon. Burning with a sense of justice, Link resolved to save Zelda, but Gannon was a powerful opponent. He held the Triforce of Power. And so, in order to fight off Gannon, Link had to bring the scattered eight fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom together to rebuild the mystical Triangle. If he couldn't do this, there would be no chance Link could fight his way into Death Mountain where Gannon lived. Can Link really destroy Gannon and save the Princess Zelda? Only your skill can answer that question. Good luck. Use the Triforce wisely.
His sex is clearly defined and has been from the very start.

Wyrdness said:
Teeqoz said:

Link doesn't have a gender.

Your wrong on that count.

I didn't mean that the Link that has featured in previous LoZ games doesn't have a gender (Cause he's very clearly male in previous games), I meant that Link, as in the hero that gets reincarnated doesn't have a determined gender (male) and that thus one incarnation of Link could very well be female, and it'd make just as much sense canonically as Link being male again.

Am I wrong? Tbh, most of my knowledge about the Zelda franchise is from Game Theory, so I might've missed something xD