By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Was Cloud a good character to appear in Super Smash Bros?

Tagged games:

Was Cloud a good choice for Smash Bros?

I like his inclusion 77 60.63%

There were better choices 35 27.56%

I don't care 15 11.81%

Total:127
Hiku said:
CWegzz said:

All I'm saying is that I don't like the idea of characters who haven't had a very large presence on Nintendo consoles being in smash.  I will feel that Cloud being in smash would be justified if he comes to a game on a Nintendo console.  I've never really liked the idea of snake being in smash as he hasn't had a very large presence on Nintendo consoles, while Ryu kinda has with how big Street Fighter II was on SNES.  Either way this is just my opinion on which characters should be included.  I understand it makes money for the companies, but I would rather have someone relevant to Nintendo instead.

Why though?
It's like you're deliberately shutting out the rest of the gaming world for some reason. And that's not the welcoming attitude Nintendo needs right now, seeing as they barely get any third party love as it is. We see these kind of crossovers all the time. Take Project X Zone for example. There's no .hack, Yakuza, God Eater, etc games for Nintendo consoles. But there they are. Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles (PS3 and PC) and Shizuo from Duarara (anime) were added to an arcade fighting game called Fighting Climax. And so on.
And Cloud has been in games on some Nintendo handhelds at least, like Kingdom hearts and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. If you're old enough to know Ryu from Street Fighter 2, then you surely know Cloud and Final Fantasy 7 as well.

Smash Bros is meant to be a Nintendo themed brawler.  Plus adding third party characters to smash bros really isn't going to do very much to improve relations with third party developers.  They're going to need to do a lot more.  Either way, we're clearly not going to be changing each other's opinions, so there's not much point in arguing over this anymore.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:

It should also be worth noting that Cloud doesn't seem to be the character from the Smash Ballot, as I don't know a single person who ever mentioned wanting Cloud in Smash

Maybe you just haven't spoken to that many people or read the Internet lately. I've seen so many people say they'd love Cloud in Smash, but it was like one of those pipe dream things that people never really expected would happen.

I suspect this is intended as a sign of the direction Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship is headed. Cloud is in many ways symbolic of the moment FF stopped being a Nintendo series and the moment a rift formed between Nintendo and Square (a rift which was pretty powerful for about a decade). Does this mean the FFVII remake could be on NX or another Nintendo console? Maybe. That's hard to say. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's a sign that the two companies intend to keep working a lot more closely in the coming years.

Jeez, all this hollalaboo over lil ol' me. I didn't think me being in the game would cause so much trouble in less than a day.

We are talking about me, Cloud, right? Riight? ; )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Why is Cloud in Smash? Because he got voted in. This whole thing shows us two things.

1: Requirements for getting chosen can be as low as a cameo appearance in the video game equivalent of a variety hour (Theatrhythm)

2: The voting is actually being looked at, and Nintendo is actually considering just about everything.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

BraLoD said:
Cloudman said:
Jeez, all this hollalaboo over lil ol' me. I didn't think me being in the game would cause so much trouble in less than a day.

We are talking about me, Cloud, right? Riight? ; )

Of course we are talking about you, everybody loves talking about you :D

Haha, suddenly I became the hot topic. Though I dunno if people love or hate me... x )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Cloudman said:

Haha, suddenly I became the hot topic. Though I dunno if people love or hate me... x )

Basically everone loves you because you are an iconic character but they hate you because they fell you don´t deserve to be in the game, a lot of mix feeling.

As I said, this is a hint of things to come. I expect this to be the beginning of a healthy and great partnership between SE and Nintendo. We're close to NX, guys. They have started to move :)

BraLoD said:
StarOcean said:
While I do question whether or not FF7R will make it to NX. I do think it's possible for FF7 OG to appear on Wii U and 3DS as a VC title

Not regarding your post, but every time I see a post of yours I spend like 5 minutes watching you sig...

She's rather hypnotic isnt she? v.v XD

Cloudman said:

You made it! Look alive! I'll buy you for sure.

Here's hoping we get Ultrashroomz in the next update.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
pokoko said:
Does Smash Bros. deserve Cloud?

yep this is the real question xD

No.  The question is who needs who more?  If you say Cloud, then you have to argue as to why?

Cloud:  He's the main protagonist of the game.  A game made over 17 years ago.  It was a great game that cemented the great legacy of playstation.  What's he up to today?  He's a marth.  Being pimped around through trivial crossover mediums.  No real direction to go as a character unless it's another  direct to video anime with no real story. 

Nintendo:  Has a pick of franchise to choose from.   This next character could have easily been Lara Croft(aww,...imagine).  Even PaRappa the Rapper as a out of the field choice(it is Sakurai's game).  If they really wanted to go out of their way they would have gotten an Xbox character. Oh yeah, they're Nintendo.  That alone. 

Oh, I get it.  I got trolled.