By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The End Is In Sight! VGC Let's Play: Tales Of Symphonia!

holmen said:

...aaaaaand I'm back.
Reckon I'm hopelessly last compared to all others, but now I am starting my Tales of Symphonia playthrough.
The reason being this late, is playing Tales of Zestiria first.

Jumping from Zestiria (ps4) to Symphonia (ps3) I expected the game to feel pretty old, but it feels surprisingly fresh.
This is my first playthrough of ToS and it soon becomes obvious that it is indeed a tales of game. I often dislike male protagonists in the series, but this one is not too bad I think.
The game seem to contain a bit more puzzles than the newer games, but the puzzles encountered so far have been easy.
I was slightly surprised at the desert prison, it felt like I had not completed the last puzzle to 100%, but still I got a cutscene and got out of the prison.

Now I am about to enter the Fire temple.

The fights this far have been easy and I have not been grinding at all.
The story, characters and the general feeling of the game is very much tales of and I am enjoying my time.

Glad you are enjoying the game :). I'm playing Zestiria right now by the way, so far I'm really liking it and the OST has been the best part for me so far.

Around the Network
holmen said:

...aaaaaand I'm back.
Reckon I'm hopelessly last compared to all others, but now I am starting my Tales of Symphonia playthrough.

Jumping from Zestiria (ps4) to Symphonia (ps3) I expected the game to feel pretty old, but it feels surprisingly fresh.
This is my first playthrough of ToS and it soon becomes obvious that it is indeed a tales of game. I often dislike male protagonists in the series, but this one is not too bad I think.
The game seem to contain a bit more puzzles than the newer games, but the puzzles encountered so far have been easy.
I was slightly surprised at the desert prison, it felt like I had not completed the last puzzle to 100%, but still I got a cutscene and got out of the prison.

The story, characters and the general feeling of the game is very much tales of and I am enjoying my time.

Good to have you join us in our play thru too. : ) I hope to play Zesty some time too. I wanna play as umbrella girl, haha... I hope you enjoy playing this Tales. I really enjoyed it as a kid, and playing it again, it still holds up pretty well and is pretty fun for me. Looking forward to reading about yout progress.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

holmen said:

...aaaaaand I'm back.

Nice to have you on board! (You must be spammed with all these messages quoting you :p)

It is definitely easy to miss a few chests with that rotating puzzle, but it's nothing serious

As always, feel free to give Ramdom or I a shout if you would like help on something because we played this game a bit too many times ;)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

The Cloud Log Database : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11]

Cloud's Log: Day 12

Another day, another log. Heya all, Cloudman here with the next log. Last time, I wanted to kill dumb children and their dumb cheating games, I snoozed thru a rich, snoby town, saved my half-elf friends, and fought people on a mountain. We stopped outside of MegaTokyo Meltokio, and now we're gonna bust in! Let's do this...!

Willy Wonka's Super Shrinko Sewer Dungeon, Gotta Have Blue Hair, and I'm On A Boat B*tch!

For one reason or another, my twin tailed fox friend warned us this was one of his least favorite dungeons in the game, so I was somewhat fearing this part. What's wrong with it? Well, this one has a unique ring function with it. The sorcerer's ring allows you to SHRINK yourself into a mini bite-size piece. This is used to cross spider webs and walk down narrow paths.

What I find so strange about this, is that Zelos says he uses this to sneak in and out of the town all the time. Does that mean he uses the shrink mechanic to get in and out? Does everyone just carry sorcerer's rings??? And why make a sewer so complicated?!

Anyways... the gimmick here is shrinking, and using a trash crushing machine to make blocks to push into the water. You have many slots to push them in. Push it into the right slot, and you can cross certain paths and activate switches. Push it down the wrong one, and the block just breaks. The strange this is, is when you successfully do the block puzzle, you can't make anymore blocks. So you push a switch, open a door, and kind of have to figure things out on your own.

Going through the sewers, I found it wasn't so bad, but there is one problem with it: backtracking. There is a part of the sewer where you make a block from the trash machine, push it down a long line of pipes, shrink yourself to cross over webs to continue pushing, push the block down a slot, and then go back and walk the new path you opened. The problem is, you cannot push all the blocks into their proper slots until you explore the new paths opened to you. This means you push one block, go down and do something new, go back up and push another block, go back down again and explore another opened path, and go up again. It becomes tedious very fast. Why not let me do all the work in one go, rather than force me to run back and forth. It was a lil annoying.

One cool thing about this dungeon? Fighting giant rats! Now that was awesome...!

Anyways, we reach the end, and get jumped by hobos. They were hired by the pope to kill us and take Colette. SInce they are hobos, and we are strong warriors, we beat them up, but suddenly, a blue long haired man shows up and brings Zelos down to the ground with his feet. He threatens to kill Zelos, but then sees Presea, who seems to know her and wants to talk. However, she attacks the blue haired man, as do we. They decide to run away.

So we make it out of the dungeon, and make our way to the research institute place. Oh yeah! Sheena joined us again. I think she came outside of Meltokio? I don't remember. Anyways, we learn that Sheena is friends with them, and her friends hook us up with a plan to cross the ocean: with a boat of course! A cargo boat of course! Zelos is offended to be compared to cargon, and Raine hates the sound of riding a boat again. Either way, we gotta do it, but for some reason, our team decided to crash at Zelos's house... This just allows you to talk to your party members. Really, this is just worth seeing Genis embarrassingly trying to talk to Presea, since he has a huge crush on her. And she acts like a robot, so it is kinda awkward.

The next day rolls by, and we head to the closed bridge to get our brand new car! new boat. The boat is like a Dragon Ball Z capsole corp item, allowing the boat to poof in and out of existance whenever we are by docks. How convenient... So with our new boat, we cross the sea and reach the other side, yaay.

We crossed the ocean, yaay!

The plan is to go to the forest, but first, we need to go to Sybak. At the entrance, we meet Kratos, that jerk. He comes to tell us we are still weak (even though I beat him in my file), and that he likes Colette as a zombie more, haha... Anyways, we go back to the jail cell with the half elves and learn about Presea's condition. We learn that exspheres are parasitic and that Presea will die. So we decide that we will help her, and take her home, since we have been trying to do that for the last few play thrus, haha... And with that done, we head to a forest, said to be maze like and dangerous. That will be fun... But we'll save that for next time, cuz...

That's the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend... of this play thru!

See ya next time when we go into this forest x ) Thanks for readin'!

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Platina said:
holmen said:

...aaaaaand I'm back.

Nice to have you on board! (You must be spammed with all these messages quoting you :p)

It is definitely easy to miss a few chests with that rotating puzzle, but it's nothing serious

As always, feel free to give Ramdom or I a shout if you would like help on something because we played this game a bit too many times ;)

Thanks! Felling somewhat spammed yes, but in a good way :)

And thanks a lot for that info!

I was thinking if I maybe missed something important there and actually debated with myself if I should load a save or not to check what I missed. But then I will not do that

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:
holmen said:

...aaaaaand I'm back.

Glad you are enjoying the game :). I'm playing Zestiria right now by the way, so far I'm really liking it and the OST has been the best part for me so far.

Yes, the OST is really is nice in Zestiria. Its one of the best in the Tales series in my book.

Cloudman said:
holmen said:

...aaaaaand I'm back.

Good to have you join us in our play thru too. : ) I hope to play Zesty some time too. I wanna play as umbrella girl, haha... I hope you enjoy playing this Tales. I really enjoyed it as a kid, and playing it again, it still holds up pretty well and is pretty fun for me. Looking forward to reading about yout progress.

umbrella girl, yeah she is a lot of fun :)

Actually I find many of the female characters in the tales games to be fun and/or interesting.

The Cloud Log Database : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]

Heya all, it's Cloudman here again with another new log to post! We ventured through crazy sewers and got a new boat earlier, and now we are continuing our quest to return Presea to her home, along with other new tasks. Too bad Presea couldn't have gotten red slippers and wished to go home that way. Anyways, let's get going!

Into the Dark Black Forest, Blue Hair Returns, and the Not So Secret Shinobi Village

Since we are wanted criminals, it's best we make like a banana and split into the forest of no return, but low and behold, at the entrance of the forest, we are already spotted by Papal Knights, who want us dead. We're the heroes though, so they lose right away to us. With them taken out, we enter the dark black forest. In there, we find a new mechanic for the sorcerer's ring: a... flash light? It's used to kill plants that block my path, as well as hide some treasure. Now, I didn't really like this area at all. It is maze-like, with many paths to go, and some of them being never ending loops. Since I am crazy about owning all the treasure in a dungeon, you know this is one that will drive me crazy to find them all.

Another painful thing about this area is the ring's function. The idea is you use your flash light to burn plants away. It works... some of the times. Some of them burned, and some of them... did not. I thought maybe I needed a different function from the ring? No, they are all burnable. I learned from my twin-tailed fox friend that some of the plants are very picky, demanding you hit a small sweet spot. Before, I skipped ones I couldn't burn, but I went back and tried again. I would position myself several times, flashing the light, finding the spot to burn the plants. And this thing can run out of battery power. To charge it, you have to stand by some flowers in a glowy light. So I had to try several times, hoping I wouldn't lose any power. It was tiring and annoying, but I eventually burned all the plants I could, and got all the treasures my patience allowed me to find.

Eventually I reached the end, where blue boy prisoner shows up. He does not wish to fight and only wishes to speak to Pinky Presea, but he did try to kill us and Presea pushes him away. For a robot with no feelings, Presea sure doesn't like the blue guy. And we fight!...for some reason. The man just said he didn't want to fight... Well, you know what they say "If it is fate, then there is no choice but to fight..!"

So we beat him up, and decide to take him prisoner, even thought he tried to kill us once... Okay then. (There is a funny cutscene here as well, but I will not spoil it ; D ) Also, Colette hears footsteps coming from the east side, miles away. Sooooo, we go the other way, to the south. Sheena decides we should hide in her ninja village, even thought it is secret and outsiders are not allowed. And when we go there, the ninja at the entrance says that exact thing. This game has a lot of odd things happen in them... Sheena gets called by the village chief, and we are allowed to explore all of the village's... 2 houses. I guess Ninjas don't mind bunking with each other.

After that is all done, we go to see the chief, where he asks what our goals are in all this. Lloyd says some really inspiring things, like bring the 2 worlds together and ending the fight between the 2 worlds for mana, and the chief is pleased with this, so much that he decided to help us with information and let Sheena come with us. Wow, he sure is easy to win over... I figured ninjas would be more suspicious. Well, with that done, we are allowed to go to the other path in the forest, since the guards that were coming are now gone!

The Forest Village, Presea and the Purple Man, and the Other Dwarf!

And so we return to the forest and try the path not taken! I find new lands, with a village only a few steps away. It is here I find the forest village, Ozette. It's a cool village with neat music (not this creepy one I picked...) I do some shopping here, and then proceed to Presea, who is talking to a purple man from Five Nights At Freddy's who looks quite suspicious. We also learn he is a half elf. Presea bids us good bye, goes into her house, and the purple haired man tells us a few words before leaving. We enter Presea's house to see she is caring for someone in a bed. However, Raine looks at the person in the bed and is shocked at what she sees. We don't get to look, but I'm sure anyone can guess the person in the bed is long dead. Even the party comments on the bad smell. Unfortunately, Presea is oblivious to this, on acount of being a lifeless zombie now. We decide the best thing to do it to try to give her a key crest as soon as possible to return her to normal.

We learn of a dwarf named Altessa south of the village, and since dwarves can do that key crest stuff, we decide to give him a visit. Unfortunately, when we meet him, he refuses to see us, saying he wants nothing to do with that child. The dwarf does have a cute assitant with green hair and a cute dress to talk to us, although she speaks like a robot. She tells us we can help Presea if we get some inhibitor ore and make the crest that way. So we leave the house and set off to find some! ...Next time at least, because...

That's the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend... of this play through! Sorry to write so much, and two logs in one day even. Thanks to all who are following us! See you next time with the next log!

Dance my pretties!

The Cloud Log Database : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13]

Cloud's Log: Day 14

I realized looking back at my last log, I forgot to put the day! Whoops! Well, I'll try to be on top it of from now on. So, let's get going...

The Silly Mine Adventures: The Wicked Step Door, I Am Ironman Bomberman, and the Dreaded Flipping Stone.

The next part in this play through is a mine, where we will get inhibitor ore for Presea. This area is pretty silly, enough to take up a whole segment for itself.

Upon entering the mines, we find a futuristic door with cool gears and tech on it, but it won't open. Turns out someone tampered with the secutiry system, and we can't get in. So how do we get in? Why, by FIGHTING IT OF COURSE. Yes, you fight the door, and it fights back, with machines and other weird things. You are ATTACKING A DOOR! >_>; So the door goes down quietly, and we go inside.

In the mines, we find giant boulders that block many paths. At first, we have no way to get around them. Regal, our 'gotta have blue hair!' friend, tells us there is a way to do it, but is being cryptic about it. So we fiddle with what we can, and find a machine that we can get on, and it takes us places. We also have to shoot fire and hit a switch to change its course. We go to another part of the mine where we get a new function for the sorcerer's ring: Bombs! We can drop bombs like Bomberman, except they don't explode in a plus formation. It sort of just makes glitter come out. But it can hurt. So we can now use these bombs to break the boulders, and there are a lot to break... Maybe too many... So you use the bombs to clear all the boulders, finding treasure, and even... a weird, very rude gnome. He asks us for a drink or something. Thanks to our twin-tailed fox friend, we have a Palmapotion, which I can give him. So I do, and he EATS THE BOTTLE. He doesn't like it or something, and... goes away, I guess...? That was weird. I guess it did something...?

So we continue further, when sudden, I hit a switch and trigger a trap in the mine! The mine be all like...

Mine: You just triggered my trap, you fool! (The mine is also Yugi Moto. Just trust me on this one)

The, in the spirit of Indiana Jones, a giant boulder comes rolling my way! Luckily, I am able to avoid it, and take no damage. I am also able to turn off the trap as well. However, a few more steps forward and I find another thing blocking my way, this.. weird block that spins at me. I can't hurt it, and it guards the path ahead. It also gives me 1000 slaps if I get too close to it. So I can't get passed it. What do I do? Well, use the giant boulder to crush it of course! So I turn the trap back on, lure the spinning block, and... mess up. I messed up in trying to avoid the boulder, and got hit myself! This helps me out though, as I fall down, and can get a treasure I missed. Slip up for the win!

After that slip up, I try again and squash the block. I can now reach the end. I can blow up boxes to find the inhibitor ore, but first, I fight an enemy, which is the same spinny block! You can only do 1 damage per attack, and this includes magic too, which I am sure Raine made the comment that only MAGIC can hurt it? Maybe I heard it wrong? Anyway, after awhile, the block just.. disappears, and the battle ends with no exp. Okay...

So I have the ore, and we can leave. But at the entrance, we run into shady guys, who run off. I forgot who they were. Oh well, onward to Ozette!

To Ozette: Colette Gets Captured While We Watch, Presea is Normal Again, and To the Lightning Temple!

Upon arriving at Ozette, we are greeted by more Papal Knights, who attack us. They didn't learn their lesson before, so we crush them again. After the fight, Colette falls over, screaming ouches in pain, and suddenly she has a fever. Presea offers to help, by swinging her axe at her! Must be an Ozette way of curing fever.

Now this next part is so odd. From the sky comes wyverns, along with the purple haired man, he takes Colette, and runs off with her, and we stand there and watch it happen...! Our party could have done so many things here. Maybe fight the purple man? Or at least attack the wyverns? But no, he gets away, and all we can do is scream. Oh, and Kratos shows up too. Lloyd tries to fight him, but Kratos instead offers us help, guiding us on the next task. I dunno if he is friend or foe honestly.

After he leaves, we make a key crest for Presea, and she is normal again! Yay! She is being human again. Having feelings again, she feels really bad for what she has done, and offers her services. But before we move on, we check up on the dead person in the bed. She realizes what happened, gives an odd scream, and feels saddened by this. She buries her father and makes her peace. We then get word that the ninjas of Mizuho have information on the flying machines we have been looking for. So we head to Mizuho and learn that the chief knows where they are, but first, Sheena must first complete a task: make a pact with Volt, the lighting spirit. Sheena is shocked by this, and runs away. It turns out she tried to make a pact before, but failed, causing the last chief to get into a coma. She is a afraid to mess up again.

Suddenly, my party is split up around the town, and I am the only one left. I can talk to them, but then all mention I should talk to Sheena and cheer her up. Why does it have to be me though? Anyone can do it, and Lloyd is dumb too. Well, Lloyd goes to talk to her, and gives her encouraging words, to do her best, and we will support her. She reluctantly accepts, and we set off for the Lightning temple.

Detour: The Unbeatable Skull Dancer - Round 2, and a Monolith Rock

In this log, I did a little exploring on the way to the mines, and to the lightning temple. I found some cool things, like a hot spring and a house of guidance. I also found an optional boss, the skull dancer, but I couldn't beat him. I am too weak... I also find a rock on an alternate path in the forest, which allows me to ride on Noiche in this area, which gives me a better camera angle. I think I found some conversations as well? Anyways, this was a small detour. Nothing too exciting.

And... that does it for this play through. Thanks for reading. See you next time! : )

Dance my pretties!

So Cloud, where was the second Skull Dancer? I must have missed it entirely.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.