By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RUMOR: Halo 5 sold 1.4-1.5 Million in US

ethomaz said:
hudsoniscool said:

ya u don't know that. Hate when people state opinion as facts. Anyway 20% digital would bring the game to 2.75 million fw worldwide. 2.75 million on 15 million consoles sounds kick ass to me. The only game that doesn't compare well to is halo 3, and that game was a beast that had a marketing budget that was likely 3-5 times the size of guardians.

2.75m for Halo WW is terrible... it is Halo in a big declive.

BTW the digital data come from companies quarters results... let's me show you the facts.

Witcher 3: 25% of total sales http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116442 (includes PC that are almost 100% digital)
Ubisoft in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852745
EA in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10-15% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860335
EA 2015 with Battlefield Hardline PS4/XB1 (similar game to Halo): 20% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041340 (this includes 20% of PC sales that are almot all digital)

Thanks Nirolak for the data.

Destiny is a online only game and the digital sales are not bigger than 20% too.

Well I'm happy with 2.75. That's only 750k less than 'it should' have done. Small install base, small marketing budget, missing content at launch. To call 2.75 terrible is crazy and down playing

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network
hudsoniscool said:

Well I'm happy with 2.75. That's only 750k less than 'it should' have done. Small install base, small marketing budget, missing content at launch. To call 2.75 terrible is crazy and down playing

It is almost half of previous entries... Halo main games do over 4 million first week.

ethomaz said:
hudsoniscool said:

It is almost half of previous entries... Halo main games do over 4 million first week.

Actually if it did 1.5 npd, that would put it at least 1.6 million(npd ended on a Saturday). Using 1.6 to estimate overseas and digital would put it at around 2.9 million. And excuse me if I'm wrong but I thought previous halo were doing about 3.5-3.9 worldwide. That would make 5 more like 75% of previous games. And to expect it to sell as much as halo 3 or 4 fw would be crazy. 

Anyway we should wait for npd to crunch the numbers.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

hudsoniscool said:

Actually if it did 1.5 npd, that would put it at least 1.6 million(npd ended on a Saturday). Using 1.6 to estimate overseas and digital would put it at around 2.9 million. And excuse me if I'm wrong but I thought previous halo were doing about 3.5-3.9 worldwide. That would make 5 more like 75% of previous games. And to expect it to sell as much as halo 3 or 4 fw would be crazy. 

Previous Halos did over 3.5m in US including bundles without digital.

Halo 3 for example did near 5m WW first week.

1.5m means over 50% declive in US sales.

Halo 3 sales breakdown:

NPD: 3.3m US without bundles (first month)
UK: 340k (first week)
DE: ~100k (first month)
AUS: ~50k (first week)

Add the others counties and you will see it sold over 1m in EU/Others and over 3.5m in US.

hudsoniscool said:
ethomaz said:
hudsoniscool said:

Anyway we should wait for npd to crunch the numbers.

Halo 5 should only be about a million behind Halo 4 in first week sales. Thats pretty good considering Halo 4 launched on 360 late life cycle with 80 million player fanbase. Halo 6 should do way better when it releases than Halo 5.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
hudsoniscool said:

Why is the issue of Halo sales so important to you? :)

Puppyroach said:

Why is the issue of Halo sales so important to you? :)

Wut?

These are great sales. This dude doesn't know the full total AT ALL. He's only guessing and as you can tell he's going to say the game sold bad regardless. Ignore time for me. Know who to debate with guys.

Halo isn't big in continental Europe.Don't ask me why, i love it.
Install base in Europe again is way smaller than it was for the 360. And Halos attach rate in EU was way smaller than in the US.
Halo 4 had 9% attach rate in Europe and 15% in the US.

Let's say that Xbox One owners in Europe are more core MS fans and Halo 5 has the same attach rate as in the US at best.That'd be 700K Halo for Europe at best.
Now if the attach rate is as low as with other Halos it's more in the 400-450K range.

Rest of world would be more or less half of european sales so between 200 and 350K.

That's 600K-1.1M at the very best, expecting a higher attach rate outside the US than every other Halo had.

Now the US sales plus 20% digital and we get from 2.4M-3.1M, though i'd really expect something around 2.5 million.

Looking at the last Halo releases that would be roughly 33% of Halos lifetime sales, so it might end somewhere between 7 and 9.5 million.

That is effectively a major decline over Halo 3 but a not so big decline compared to Reach and 4.

ethomaz said:
hudsoniscool said:

Which Halo game did over 4 million? The biggest I've seen is just over 3.8. So 2.75 isn't half.

Also, the series is 14 years and still bigger then most 1st party IPs. I'm content with that as a fan of the series.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)