By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR will be priced so Sony doesn't make any profit. What are your price predictions now?

Intrinsic said:

No matter what I see it having a BOM of no higher than $250.  This all doesn't mean they sell it at that price though.

I see Sony selling it for $300 and letting the enthusiasts buy it first and use them to iron out all the kinks.

then when word of mouth grows they drop it to around $200 in 2017.

SO... You skipped the original article stating they are aiming for maximum usebase expansion, while pushing game devs to strongly test out of the gate?

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
bigtakilla said:
Still far to much for a periferal. Will sell Vita levels if lucky, until price gets around $200-$150.

I think Sony would be hugely satisfied with Vita level lifetime sales though... I mean, 12-15 million for the first outing at this sort of peripheral, being sold at breakeven would be a massive success imo.

Oh yeah, Vita level sales would be huge for first gen VR.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Zoombael said:
bigtakilla said:

I like to keep things new. ;)

Point is, it i not a stand alone device, so it is a peripheral.

Hnnno. That was not the point. Your point was, peripherals are supposed to cost not more than a 20.- € PC mouse (for example). I paid 300.- € for my 24" TFT LCD and 1500.- € for the 55" plasma. According to you i paid way too much for those.

You no use 'phalanx' right.

$350-$400, i cant see this doing well

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

$299 whit a free game/tech demon.

Around the Network

I think it will cost around $150 to $250 since they are not trying to make a profit off of the VR hardware.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

BraLoD said:
Aeolus451 said:
I think it will cost around $150 to $250 since they are not trying to make a profit off of the VR hardware.

It's definitely not going to be $150.

Sony said it'll be priced as a new system, so it may be around a Vita price so $250 to $300 would be possible.

Ya never know. VR's console price point is what will largely decide how successful it will be. Sony is trying to get VR into as many gamers' hands as possible. 

mutantsushi said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I'm going to guess that this will be PS4 only. You might be able to get it to work on PC but probably nothing will support it.

Why? Crossplatform (PS4+PC) dev options help make games more viable for devs, and the API can be basically the same on both sides.
Sony said they want maximum playerbase, and leveraging PC market which is proportionately least put off by price, does just that.

It's a nascent market  on PC side, so now is the time to grab market share there and establish Sony's VR platform across both PC/PS4.

And it doesn't cost anything really.

I don't see Sony grabbing PC market share tbh, they cut ties with that market this gen and so far haven't tossed a bone their way like MS has, MS is trying to co-exist with it, not trying to convert the userbase into going to their console like you might think Sony would do with PC gamers. PC already has two VR headsets which are likely to appeal to them like they already have been doing, I see them standing a much better chance at appealing to a market they were developed in than one that comes strictly from a console side that's trying to make use of a userbase they clearly have no ounce of interest in (Also cutting ties when they sold their VAIO division and SOE).

OT: From £300-400.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

$299.99