By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My NX logo video, explanation for system being called, "Nintendo Infinite", controller ideas, etc.

Gamemaster87 said:
Azelover said:

The DS was called Nitro.

Yes right, but later they used the codename "DS" which became the final name for the product although Nintendo has planned to change it. But because of strong popularity of the name DS they decided to use it for the final product.

We don't know for sure. Usually Nintendo has the final name out by the year's launch E3, and that was the case with the name DS. I think they always planned to use NDS, as a new NES from the 80's.

What they did was take the "Nintendo" brand and "new" brand switch them over so they could start them over again. With a brand new astral body that didn't exist yet.

I don't care if you believe in this or not, I'm simply using theory. The Nintendo console and Gameboy handheld were sacrificed, in order to create a new "Nintendo" like, this time handheld, which would start over the business, and a new Gameboy. Which is simply a new brand with no "Nintendo" on it, that is the Wii, a console. The new Gameboy.

I think they're either going to combine them in some fashion, OR, it's going to continue as it was in the 90's, we're gonna get a new Nintendo handheld not named DS but with Nintendo still on the name, and the NX will be another Wii. Shockingly. If they're gonna drop the Wii they're going to come up with a brand new name.

Around the Network

Look at my NX concept:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=208951&page=1

jonathanalis said:

Look at my NX concept:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=208951&page=1

Well thought out ideas.  From now till E3, it's going to be one very exciting wait!

Azelover said:
Gamemaster87 said:

Yes right, but later they used the codename "DS" which became the final name for the product although Nintendo has planned to change it. But because of strong popularity of the name DS they decided to use it for the final product.

We don't know for sure. Usually Nintendo has the final name out by the year's launch E3, and that was the case with the name DS. I think they always planned to use NDS, as a new NES from the 80's.

What they did was take the "Nintendo" brand and "new" brand switch them over so they could start them over again. With a brand new astral body that didn't exist yet.

I don't care if you believe in this or not, I'm simply using theory. The Nintendo console and Gameboy handheld were sacrificed, in order to create a new "Nintendo" like, this time handheld, which would start over the business, and a new Gameboy. Which is simply a new brand with no "Nintendo" on it, that is the Wii, a console. The new Gameboy.

I think they're either going to combine them in some fashion, OR, it's going to continue as it was in the 90's, we're gonna get a new Nintendo handheld not named DS but with Nintendo still on the name, and the NX will be another Wii. Shockingly. If they're gonna drop the Wii they're going to come up with a brand new name.

What would you like the new system to be called?  (Your top choice if you have one.)

Gamemaster87 said:
Azelover said:

The DS was called Nitro.

Im glad they went with DS in the end.

rolltide101x said:
PaulGaleNetwork said:

$250 was what the Wii came out as and included a really big hit game.  If Nintendo could replicate that debut pack-in game "wow factor" they did in 2006, that'd be pretty awesome.

That is what I am expecting from them. There is 0.0000001% chance of Nintendo replicating the Wii but they can absolutely do a lot better than they have with the Wii U. They need to make it easy for devs to port games from the PS4 and Xbox One to make it cheap and a "no brainer" to port to that way they will get at least solid 3rd party support

Easy third party porting is very important.  I agree.

PaulGaleNetwork said:

http://youtu.be/yXn8VuC7QIU 

If the video didn't embed properly, here's the link to the video in the article I wrote: http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/#article/6971

I came up with a logo for NX several months ago and did share it online, but it wasn't until now that I made a video to further elaborate some of my thoughts behind the concept.  In this video I break down the idea behind the logo, why NX could turn into the Nintendo Infinitie, and share some thoughts on ideas for the system, controller, and even how prices may break down.

In the video I say that NX Home could cost $350 and NX Portable could cost $200, with a two in one SKU costing $500, but I think that more accurately we would see NX Home costing $375 and NX Portable costing $175 (with the two-in-one still being $500).

Anyhow, I'd love to hear your thoughts and thank you in advance for them!  :)

Nintendo already said that Wii U had higher price than they wanted, 3DS also has high price on launch and they had big price cut only 6 months after launch. They also said they want system that is affordable so that everyone can afford it. Nintendo won't release new console in the middle of PS4/Xbox One generation with $50-100 higher price point, they will need to have same or even lower price of PS4/Xbox One prices in that time.

I dont think NX home console will have higher price than $299, actually I think they will aim for $249 price point. Handheld max $199, but Nintendo probably will go for price point around $150.

PaulGaleNetwork said:
rolltide101x said:

I expect the NX to cost 250$ and be roughly on par with the Xbox One in terms of specs.

It will either have VR for all games or another very unique controller/game input

$250 was what the Wii came out as and included a really big hit game.  If Nintendo could replicate that debut pack-in game "wow factor" they did in 2006, that'd be pretty awesome.

Basically, Wii had affordable price, very strong launch titles and very strong "gimmick". Wii U was quite opposite, high price (especially in comparison with PS3/Xbox360), very weak launch titles and very weak gimmick.

With NX Nintendo probably is aiming $249-299 price point, it will have strong launch titles (Zelda U port and Mario 3D game are almost certain), we still don't know certain about gimmick but unified platform with home and handheld could be pretty good "gimmick".

Around the Network
Gamemaster87 said:
superchunk said:
NX is just the code name. Nintendo never uses the code name in the final product.

Though I like your ideas.

And the DS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_codenames#Nintendo_DS

The code name for the DS was not "DS" at first. Only at the very end when they were basically just calling it as it is.

Azelover said:

The name "DS" was the final name. As a project, it's name was Nitro (that's why all DS product codes start with NTR). The developer system and dual screen was just playing with the DS name, pointing out the philosophy behind it as well as the two screens the device had.

Nintendo released DS as a third pillar of their strategy (GBA, GC, NDS), and Iwata said back then, that Nintedo was going to release another handheld after the DS (to replace GBA). But as DS started to spread like wildfire, the second handheld was Gameboy Micro, after which the GB line was buried. It's likely that if the DS had proven unsuccessful, Nintendo had released a handheld that would compete PSP in power race.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
Azelover said:

The name "DS" was the final name. As a project, it's name was Nitro (that's why all DS product codes start with NTR). The developer system and dual screen was just playing with the DS name, pointing out the philosophy behind it as well as the two screens the device had.

Nintendo released DS as a third pillar of their strategy (GBA, GC, NDS), and Iwata said back then, that Nintedo was going to release another handheld after the DS (to replace GBA). But as DS started to spread like wildfire, the second handheld was Gameboy Micro, after which the GB line was buried. It's likely that if the DS had proven unsuccessful, Nintendo had released a handheld that would compete PSP in power race.

If Nintendo goes with Fusion as the final name of the NX, I could see the home console becoming "Nintendo Fusion" and the handheld 

becoming DS Fusion.

Miyamotoo said:
PaulGaleNetwork said:

Basically, Wii had affordable price, very strong launch titles and very strong "gimmick". Wii U was quite opposite, high price (especially in comparison with PS3/Xbox360), very weak launch titles and very weak gimmick.

With NX Nintendo probably is aiming $249-299 price point, it will have strong launch titles (Zelda U port and Mario 3D game are almost certain), we still don't know certain about gimmick but unified platform with home and handheld could be pretty good "gimmick".

If th NX had a $250-$300 price at launch, what level of power do you think it would have?  (Around Xbox One/PS4?)

superchunk said:
Gamemaster87 said:

And the DS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_codenames#Nintendo_DS

The code name for the DS was not "DS" at first. Only at the very end when they were basically just calling it as it is.

DS ended up probably being the best name for the system.  I'm glad they went with it, though I would have bought it all the same had it been named something else.  For the masses though, DS meaning Dual Screens, definitely helped.

At least power of Xbox One, somewhere between Xbox One and PS4 power. But Nintendo without problems could have around PS4 power at end of next year for around $250 price point.

Miyamotoo said:
At least power of Xbox One, somewhere between Xbox One and PS4 power. But Nintendo without problems could have around PS4 power at end of next year for around $250 price point.

If we think in terms of power, processing power that equals PS4 with bottlenecks being fixed with a 250 pricepoint sounds highly profitable and therefore plausible. When considering the pricepoint, you also need to think other features as well. Will it have HDD or SSD has a great impact on the price too, does it have an optical drive or will it use cartridges, what kind or tech is licensed from outside, will it have Wii U-like gamepad.

@PaulGale: Could be. However, it may lead customers into ConFusion.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.