By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 900p okay? Is Xbox One a worthy 8th gen console now?

H3ADShOt3 said:
This whole generation is under powered, 1080p 60fps should've been the minimal for these machines and they also should've been capable of 4K resolution. I wasn't too happy when I saw the performance of these consoles at first but I've learned to accept it to stay a console gamer.

You obviously have no idea how much 4k gaming costs.

Anyway onto your other point, saying 1080p/60fps means almost nothing about the games visuals, every game this gen could be 1080p 60fps if the developers wanted it to be, they would just have to scale back the visuals it's literally up to them so if they want to do it they can like metal gear and the COD games etc.

If ps4 was 2x more powerful I can almost bet it would still have 1080p 30fps games because everything would be put on visuals. But it wouldn't sell nearly aswell because it would cost so much.

Selling $600/$700 consoles kind of ruins the point of them.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

As an Xbox One gamer that has taken a stance against sub-1080p games, I have a lot of free time now.

Instead of playing H5's 25 minute campaign I'm now out in the real world doing things that actually matter.

All I can say is Thanks M$! I saved a Steak dinner from instagramers today.

I think 900p is okay if you are playing on a console. These are budget gaming systems that released in 2013. I think Sony and MS could've added a little bit more with a little bit of a loss, but I don't think the marginal benefit would outweigh the marginal cost in that circumstance. I think everyone had their expectations higher because Sony and MS have been over-promising/falsely marketing 1080p for years now. So it seemed only natural that in this generation they would finally have it.

ArchangelMadzz said:
H3ADShOt3 said:
This whole generation is under powered, 1080p 60fps should've been the minimal for these machines and they also should've been capable of 4K resolution. I wasn't too happy when I saw the performance of these consoles at first but I've learned to accept it to stay a console gamer.

You obviously have no idea how much 4k gaming costs.

Anyway onto your other point, saying 1080p/60fps means almost nothing about the games visuals, every game this gen could be 1080p 60fps if the developers wanted it to be, they would just have to scale back the visuals it's literally up to them so if they want to do it they can like metal gear and the COD games etc.

If ps4 was 2x more powerful I can almost bet it would still have 1080p 30fps games because everything would be put on visuals. But it wouldn't sell nearly aswell because it would cost so much.

Selling $600/$700 consoles kind of ruins the point of them.

So then if making these consoles more powerfull than a pc when it first releases it will automaticly make it cost 700$/600$? How did mircosoft manage to make the 360 pretty much more powerful than a pc at the time for 400$ in 2005? My knowlage ain't huge on this but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be impossible to get it under sub 500$ at launch if they were more powerful..

Roronaa_chan said:
Goatseye said:

however, for the last couple of months, games that focused on satisfying gamers' 1080p lust, have fallen from grace especially, due to their lack of content or gameplay depth.

Like?

I'd like to know what games are being talked about as well. The only real disappointment I can think of is Tony Hawk, maybe Godzilla.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Well last gen every console gamer played games at 480p-720hd so not really.

I can only think of 9 Xbox One games that run at 720p-792p. Some of which are simply due to poor optimization. However, all of them trounce the last gen in presenation and frame rate. Xbox One has about 300 games. So that means people are getting worked up about 3% of the library. Bottom line, those 720p games generally still look great on X1. Much better than last gen could achieve at any resolution. So that argument is moot.

If you have a gaming PC, by playing with the resolution you can see 900p is considerably more crisp than 720p. That's a 37% more pixels on top of better graphics.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

H3ADShOt3 said:

So then if making these consoles more powerfull than a pc when it first releases it will automaticly make it cost 700$/600$? How did mircosoft manage to make the 360 pretty much more powerful than a pc at the time for 400$ in 2005? My knowlage ain't huge on this but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be impossible to get it under sub 500$ at launch if they were more powerful..

You can't have a console more powerful than a PC. It's never happened and never will.

The proof is in the games, PC games always look better. Always.

Most consoles use PC derived parts anyway, the Xbox 360 for instance used a Radeon x19xx/2900 series semi-custom hybrid GPU, it wasn't more powerful than what PC gamers had at the time.
PC Gamers also have the option of multiple cards.

The fact of the matter is... AMD's Graphics Core Next GPU/architecture is old.
That particular GPU architecture was already a few years old when the current consoles launched, it was already past it's use-by-date.

AMD has done some re-organizing and refocusing recently to try and become competitive again, hopefully that means a new GPU architecture more often, having the same cards on the market for 5~ years has been unprecedented.

The consoles *could* have been faster if AMD spent more money in R&D, but AMD is doing it tough I am afraid.
Ironically even PC gamers are turning away from them which has impacted AMD's bottom line and ability to compete.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I want solid frame rate. 30 fps or 60 fps doesn't matter. And I want complete game at launch. Not broken game to be patched later. Resolution was never a concern for me.

I'm still playing my PS3 games.

The resolution wars was fun (and stupid) and all I think don't have time to care about that. So as long as the frame-rate is steady, then it's okay.