By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214
Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

If you think I moved the goalposts perhaps you should look up what "moving the goalposts" means again. It appears pretty obvious you are mistaken. My point was and still stands that one game selling 5 million 1) is not indicative that Miis are popular and 2) does not indicate that the game is popular because the game featured Miis. That is the point I've made about TL since it was first mentioned, and that is the point I continue to make. No goalposts have been moved.

Ohh yes, because replacing generic avatars that have balls for hands with other generic avatars with fingers absolutely totally changes the appeal of the game the same as replacing an anthropomorphic squirel with a futuristic military solder. Yep, that's totally the same thing. Wait no. Only a  Hardcore Nintendo fanboy would make such a ridiculous argument that the two aren't actually completely different. The cognitive dissonance is very strong in you.

Again. People do not care about Miis the same way people do not care about Sims avatars. If EA make a Sims game with Wii-style avatars and the game play is exactly the same the vast majority of the fans simply will not care, and enjoy it the same. If you changed the art style from a more cartoony style to a more realistic style, the vast majority of fans simply will not care and enjoy it the same. You might care, but you don't represent the average gamer, you're a Hardcore Nintendo fan that seems to pretty firmly believe that Nintendo can do no wrong. Also what does marketing have to do with anything exactly? Nintendo decided to heavily market the fact that you can import Miis into the game? So what? They also marketed the fact that you can import Miis into Smash Bros Wii U and the Wii U version the the worst selling verion yet, so I guess by your flawed logic your point is disproven (Note: I don't actually believe this, I'm just pointing out the glaring holes in your thought process).

See here's the thing about me having to prove you wrong. It's a logical fallacy to expect anyone to prove a negative. You can't prove that we do not live in the matrix. You cannot prove god doesn't exist. I can't prove that Tomodachi Life's success isn't a result of featuring Miis the same way I can't prove Splatoon's success isn't a result of featuring Squid people. You asserted that the success of Tomodachi Life is based on the popularity of Miis, therefore the onus is on you to prove that is true. And this should go without saying, but marketing campaigns are in no way any type of proof that the success of the game has anything to do with the game featuring Miis and not any other type of generic customizable avatar.

Right now you have no point end of, you're just making noise but not saying anything of relevance as seen in your attempt to side step backing your own views, I can comfortably point to the marketing campaigns and the game's concept to shows Miis are a draw but you have failed to highlight why they're not a draw in any shape or form what so ever and instead are post walls of text that repeat already shot down logic. I've even given you an example of you moving goalposts with your laughable attempts at trying to downplay sales despite the fact that 4m sales in any gen is a higher number of sales then the majority of titles.

Again these are things you have no counter in your argument at all to, whats ironic is that you yourself are guilty of your own accusation with your claims that the games didn't sell because of what ever hence why you've resorted to insults, you've not provided an a reason for TL's success and only want to say it's not because of Miis while fuming. Tomodachi Life isn't even the only game of it's type on 3DS hell even the Sims 3 is on 3DS but only TL sold well adding more evidence of the appeal of Miis.

Here's your situation a game built and designed around Miis like it's predecessor, marketed as well with Miis as a main feature in the adverts and marketing campaign and in regards to the type of game it is the are others of the same genre on the platform but on it has sold 4m (more then the others combined) and is a new IP essentially as well. This contradicts you on Miis especially as you were arguing about their lack of appeal for Miitomo yet a new IP which they were the main feature in the marketing says otherwise. it's a tough pill for you to swallow but that's how it is.

How long have you been learning English?

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:

How long have you been learning English?

Longer then you've been learning about the markets.

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

If you think I moved the goalposts perhaps you should look up what "moving the goalposts" means again. It appears pretty obvious you are mistaken. My point was and still stands that one game selling 5 million 1) is not indicative that Miis are popular and 2) does not indicate that the game is popular because the game featured Miis. That is the point I've made about TL since it was first mentioned, and that is the point I continue to make. No goalposts have been moved.

Ohh yes, because replacing generic avatars that have balls for hands with other generic avatars with fingers absolutely totally changes the appeal of the game the same as replacing an anthropomorphic squirel with a futuristic military solder. Yep, that's totally the same thing. Wait no. Only a  Hardcore Nintendo fanboy would make such a ridiculous argument that the two aren't actually completely different. The cognitive dissonance is very strong in you.

Again. People do not care about Miis the same way people do not care about Sims avatars. If EA make a Sims game with Wii-style avatars and the game play is exactly the same the vast majority of the fans simply will not care, and enjoy it the same. If you changed the art style from a more cartoony style to a more realistic style, the vast majority of fans simply will not care and enjoy it the same. You might care, but you don't represent the average gamer, you're a Hardcore Nintendo fan that seems to pretty firmly believe that Nintendo can do no wrong. Also what does marketing have to do with anything exactly? Nintendo decided to heavily market the fact that you can import Miis into the game? So what? They also marketed the fact that you can import Miis into Smash Bros Wii U and the Wii U version the the worst selling verion yet, so I guess by your flawed logic your point is disproven (Note: I don't actually believe this, I'm just pointing out the glaring holes in your thought process).

See here's the thing about me having to prove you wrong. It's a logical fallacy to expect anyone to prove a negative. You can't prove that we do not live in the matrix. You cannot prove god doesn't exist. I can't prove that Tomodachi Life's success isn't a result of featuring Miis the same way I can't prove Splatoon's success isn't a result of featuring Squid people. You asserted that the success of Tomodachi Life is based on the popularity of Miis, therefore the onus is on you to prove that is true. And this should go without saying, but marketing campaigns are in no way any type of proof that the success of the game has anything to do with the game featuring Miis and not any other type of generic customizable avatar.

Right now you have no point end of, you're just making noise but not saying anything of relevance as seen in your attempt to side step backing your own views, I can comfortably point to the marketing campaigns and the game's concept to shows Miis are a draw but you have failed to highlight why they're not a draw in any shape or form what so ever and instead are post walls of text that repeat already shot down logic. I've even given you an example of you moving goalposts with your laughable attempts at trying to downplay sales despite the fact that 4m sales in any gen is a higher number of sales then the majority of titles.

Again these are things you have no counter in your argument at all to, whats ironic is that you yourself are guilty of your own accusation with your claims that the games didn't sell because of what ever hence why you've resorted to insults, you've not provided an a reason for TL's success and only want to say it's not because of Miis while fuming. Tomodachi Life isn't even the only game of it's type on 3DS hell even the Sims 3 is on 3DS but only TL sold well adding more evidence of the appeal of Miis.

Here's your situation a game built and designed around Miis like it's predecessor, marketed as well with Miis as a main feature in the adverts and marketing campaign and in regards to the type of game it is the are others of the same genre on the platform but on it has sold 4m (more then the others combined) and is a new IP essentially as well. This contradicts you on Miis especially as you were arguing about their lack of appeal for Miitomo yet a new IP which they were the main feature in the marketing says otherwise. it's a tough pill for you to swallow but that's how it is.

This is actually just pathetic at this point. So your logic is: A game was marketed as featuring Miis, the game sold well, therefore the game sold well because it featured Miis. Correct?

So try this logic: Metal Gear Solid V was marketed as featuring a horn sticking out of the main character's forehead, the game sold well, therefore the game sold well because it featured a horn sticking out of the main character's forehead. But the marketing also featured story, drivable vehicles, soldier recruiting, base building, online multiplayer. But let me tell you, it definitely, definitely sold well because it featured that horn. That is definitely the primary reason, because I say so. My proof? The marketing of course, it did feature a main character with a horn sticking out of his head.

Tomodachi Life's success could be due to any number of reasons - fun gameplay, enjoyable story, great sound, entertaining dialog, great minigames, etc. What was the primary reason for it's success? I have absolutely no idea, and neither do you! You have zero evidence that Tomodachi Life sold like it did because it featured Miis more than it sold like it did because the dialog was entertaining. You're simply speculating that the reason behind it is because it featured Miis. The truth of the matter is that Miis are literally no more unique than any other user-created avatar system. There is nothing that makes them inherently better, and there's nothing about their shape or art style that make their inclusion in a game objectively better than a game that features similar but different avatars. None at all.

Why didn't Sims sell well on 3DS and Tomodachi Life did? It could be due to any number of reasons, such as: 99% of third party games sell terribly on Nintendo platforms, whereas games developed and published by Nintendo tend to do very poorly. It could be because the game was poorly made and ran horribly, and Tomodachi Life was made better. It could be because the Sims 3 was released on pretty much every platform out there including the DS, and TD was only available on the 3DS meaning it was the only way to get the TD experience etc. etc. There a dozens of reasons why two similar games can perform dramatically different, and 99.9999% of them do not feature Miis, so why are Miis suddenly the deciding factor between why TD sold well and Sims 3 sold poorly?

PS. Sequels are not new IPs in any way.

If it's coming for free, and can help promote Nintendo brand and their primary business why not, and also this is just their first attempt on mobile industry, so we need to wait and see.

potato_hamster said:

This is actually just pathetic at this point. So your logic is: A game was marketed as featuring Miis, the game sold well, therefore the game sold well because it featured Miis. Correct?

So try this logic: Metal Gear Solid V was marketed as featuring a horn sticking out of the main character's forehead, the game sold well, therefore the game sold well because it featured a horn sticking out of the main character's forehead. But the marketing also featured story, drivable vehicles, soldier recruiting, base building, online multiplayer. But let me tell you, it definitely, definitely sold well because it featured that horn. That is definitely the primary reason, because I say so. My proof? The marketing of course, it did feature a main character with a horn sticking out of his head.

Tomodachi Life's success could be due to any number of reasons - fun gameplay, enjoyable story, great sound, entertaining dialog, great minigames, etc. What was the primary reason for it's success? I have absolutely no idea, and neither do you! You have zero evidence that Tomodachi Life sold like it did because it featured Miis more than it sold like it did because the dialog was entertaining. You're simply speculating that the reason behind it is because it featured Miis. The truth of the matter is that Miis are literally no more unique than any other user-created avatar system. There is nothing that makes them inherently better, and there's nothing about their shape or art style that make their inclusion in a game objectively better than a game that features similar but different avatars. None at all.

Why didn't Sims sell well on 3DS and Tomodachi Life did? It could be due to any number of reasons, such as: 99% of third party games sell terribly on Nintendo platforms, whereas games developed and published by Nintendo tend to do very poorly. It could be because the game was poorly made and ran horribly, and Tomodachi Life was made better. It could be because the Sims 3 was released on pretty much every platform out there including the DS, and TD was only available on the 3DS meaning it was the only way to get the TD experience etc. etc. There a dozens of reasons why two similar games can perform dramatically different, and 99.9999% of them do not feature Miis, so why are Miis suddenly the deciding factor between why TD sold well and Sims 3 sold poorly?

Broken analogy, go and watch the adverts yourself a number of them even go into details of promoting and focusing on the Miis what's pathetic is your refusal to accept this was a draw for the game, MGS' marketing approach didn't dedicate adverts solely to BB, they were more cryptic and utilized suspense as opposed to TL which were more informal with people talking about Miis and the fun of making Miis out of yourself and friends (that is literally all the adverts are). For a reference Mysims on the DS had it's own approach to look close to Miis and sold very well around 3m so Sims 3 not even coming close to it highlights the's an element of appeal that went missing. Marketing Miis would mean the would need to be a draw for customers to them, if the was no draw to the Miis like you claim no one would have bought the game, Miis factored into grabbing people's attention and everything else in the game then took over.

Who said anything about avatars being better then each other? They have their own stylized quirks and charms which can define their appeal to people, they don't have to be better then other avatars they just have to be shown as interesting to the target audience which the TL marketing did for Miis. They're simple, have a quirky cartoon like style and can be given a voice and personality, very easy for consumers to get into them and thus appealing to the target audience. Appeal can be just as crucial as gameplay as the game really connects with the consumer far better then it should, this is why Mario's face and name on something can make it sell because of appeal.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

Broken analogy, go and watch the adverts yourself a number of them even go into details of promoting and focusing on the Miis what's pathetic is your refusal to accept this was a draw for the game, MGS' marketing approach didn't dedicate adverts solely to BB, they were more cryptic and utilized suspense as opposed to TL which were more informal with people talking about Miis and the fun of making Miis out of yourself and friends. For a reference Mysims on the DS had it's own approach to look close to Miis and sold very well around 3m so Sims 3 not even coming close to it highlights the's an element of appeal that went missing. Marketing Miis would mean the would need to be a draw for customers to them, if the was no draw to the Miis like you claim no one would have bought the game, Miis factored into grabbing people's attention and everything else in the game then took over.

Who said anything about avatars being better then each other? They have their own stylized quirks and charms which can define their appeal to people, they don't have to be better then other avatars they just have to be shown as interesting to the target audience which the TL marketing did for Miis. They're simple, have a quirky cartoon like style and can be given a voice and personality, very easy for consumers to get into them and thus appealing to the target audience. Appeal can be just as crucial as gameplay as the game really connects with the consumer far better then it should, this is why Mario's face and name on something can make it sell because of appeal.

Yeah, maybe you should go back and watch those trailers. They feature the fact that they're Miis about the same as Big Boss is featured in any MGS trailer. Seriously. In fact when you think about it, in one MGS trailer they even show the horn grow! Man that must be why that game sold better than MGS4. MGS4 didn't feature a guy with a horn at all. That must be the reason why, of course! It couldn't possibly be anything else. Sound dumb? That's because it is, and that is the same logic you're using to argue that Marketing the inclusion of Miis means that the inclusion of Miis is a main reason why the game was sucessful.

You're saying that the Tomodatchi Life sold as well as it did because it featured Miis. Then of course, by extension that means it would not have sold well if it did not feature Miis. Therefore, there must be something about Miis that make them better for that game than any other generic avatar. In order to say this, you have to demonstrate that there is something special about Miis that make them special, and you'd also have to demonstrate if you introduced similar but different avatars that were equally customizable the game would not be as successful. Otherwise you are quite literally guess as to why the game was successful. Again I'm not saying that the addition of Miis was absolutely not a factor, but it's impossible to say whether ot not Miis made that game 0$,20% or 90% more successful. In fact the game might have been more successful had it not featured Miis. Seriously. You have no way of knowing. None.

It's actually painful how completely irrational you're being while accusing me of the very mistakes you make over and over again.

potato_hamster said:

Yeah, maybe you should go back and watch those trailers. They feature the fact that they're Miis about the same as Big Boss is featured in any MGS trailer. Seriously. In fact when you think about it, in one MGS trailer they even show the horn grow! Man that must be why that game sold better than MGS4. MGS4 didn't feature a guy with a horn at all. That must be the reason why, of course! It couldn't possibly be anything else. Sound dumb? That's because it is, and that is the same logic you're using to argue that Marketing the inclusion of Miis means that the inclusion of Miis is a main reason why the game was sucessful.

You're saying that the Tomodatchi Life sold as well as it did because it featured Miis. Then of course, by extension that means it would not have sold well if it did not feature Miis. Therefore, there must be something about Miis that make them better for that game than any other generic avatar. In order to say this, you have to demonstrate that there is something special about Miis that make them special, and you'd also have to demonstrate if you introduced similar but different avatars that were equally customizable the game would not be as successful. Otherwise you are quite literally guess as to why the game was successful. Again I'm not saying that the addition of Miis was absolutely not a factor, but it's impossible to say whether ot not Miis made that game 0$,20% or 90% more successful. In fact the game might have been more successful had it not featured Miis. Seriously. You have no way of knowing. None.

It's actually painful how completely irrational you're being while accusing me of the very mistakes you make over and over again.

I've watched the trailers of MGS5, they use intrigue to engage people who watch them it's a classic approach especially for something cinematic, you're out of touch argument as far as your MGS4 comparison goes as that analogy is the most irrelevant thing so far. The adverts weren't showing the inclusion of Miis, the marketing campaign flat out highlighted them as the central piece to the games, your argument here is beyond broken as you can't grasp marketing approaches so just came up with any random example in a desperate attempt to try and attack.

Something doesn't have to be vastly superior or better to have more appeal then something else, brands are successful because they market themselves well and connect with their target audience. Nintendo's handhelds themselves have done this for decades against competition with superior hardware and set ups, iPod even did it against MP3 players, this mode of thinking is why you can't grasp the point, Miis don't have to be better then other avatars they just need to seem interesting to appeal to their audience.

It's perfectly rational as I'll give you an example of how powerful appeal is, Fire Emblem, the gameplay and mechanics haven't changed that much over previous games but the approach in Awakening was drastically different. The result is Awakening heavily outsold all the previous games which struggled hard why? Because the appeal was now there for a more people, the gameplay in the series has always been good but the approach was not to everyone's tastes so a different one was utilized in Awakening.

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

I've watched the trailers of MGS5, they use intrigued to engage people who watch them it's a classic approach especially for something cinematic, you're out of touch argument as far as your MGS4 comparison goes as that analogy is the most irrelevant thing so far. The adverts weren't showing the inclusion of Miis, the marketing campaign flat out highlighted them as the central piece to the games, your argument here is beyond broken as you can't grasp marketing approaches so just came up with any random example in a desperate attempt to try and attack.

Something doesn't have to be vastly superior or better to have more appeal then something else, brands are successful because they market themselves well and connect with their target audience. Nintendo's handhelds themselves have done this for decades against competition with superior hardware and set ups, iPod even did it against MP3 players, this mode of thinking is why you can't grasp the point, Miis don't have to be better then other avatars they just need to seem interesting to appeal to their audience.

It's perfectly rational as I'll give you an example of how powerful appeal is, Fire Emblem, the gameplay and mechanics haven't changed that much over previous games but the approach in Awakening was drastically different. The result is Awakening heavily outsold all the previous games which struggled hard why? Because the appeal was now there for a more people, the gameplay in the series has always been good but the approach was not to everyone's tastes so a different one was utilized in Awakening.

So Big Boss isn't highlighted as a central part to MGS5 in the trailers? Ohh right, he is. He is the main character after all. He is just as central, if not more central to the game as Miis are to Tomodatchi Life,so please spare me on how its a bad analogy. Prove that the physical appearance of big Boss in MGS5 is not the primary reason that MGS outsold MGS4. That's essentially what you're asking me to prove. But you can't prove a negative., can you? You don't like it because it shows how wrong you are and your elitist attitude of "you can't grasp marketing approaches" is furthering the point that you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Again, your assertion requires you to prove that Miis are more appealing or more interesting to their audience than any other similar, generic avatar. Good luck with that.

Fire Emblem: Awakening could have sold beffer because of dozens of different reasons (like being bundled with a custom 3DS, or it being the highest rated fire emblem game ever). narrowing it down to "the approach" (whatever that means) as the primary reason without any evidence to support that is impossible. For example, prove that Fire Emblem: Awakening being bundled with a custom 3DS, or the fact that it is the highest rated fire emblem game ever was less of a factor in its sales success than "the approach". Seriously. Prove it.

This app is too late, had they had it during last gen for the Wii, even the tail end it would've been great because as it seems now Miitomo seems, at least to me, more likely to connect with the existing fanbases on Wii U, and possibly 3DS, which has diminished significantly.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

potato_hamster said:

So Big Boss isn't highlighted as a central part to MGS5 in the trailers? Ohh right, he is. He is the main character after all. He is just as central, if not more central to the game as Miis are to Tomodatchi Life,so please spare me on how its a bad analogy. Prove that the physical appearance of big Boss in MGS5 is not the primary reason that MGS outsold MGS4. That's essentially what you're asking me to prove. But you can't prove a negative., can you? You don't like it because it shows how wrong you are and your elitist attitude of "you can't grasp marketing approaches" is furthering the point that you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Again, your assertion requires you to prove that Miis are more appealing or more interesting to their audience than any other similar, generic avatar. Good luck with that.

Fire Emblem: Awakening could have sold beffer because of dozens of different reasons (like being bundled with a custom 3DS, or it being the highest rated fire emblem game ever). narrowing it down to "the approach" (whatever that means) as the primary reason without any evidence to support that is impossible. For example, prove that Fire Emblem: Awakening being bundled with a custom 3DS, or the fact that it is the highest rated fire emblem game ever was less of a factor in its sales success than "the approach". Seriously. Prove it.

It is a bad analogy because the are many flaws in that argument from the type of marketing approach to how the adverts are conducted to even the context, MGS is marketed as a cinematic experience much in the same way all the preious games have with trailers showing select bits of action and sometimes cryptic messages, TL on the other hand are are informal adds with people saying how they are creating Miis for fun. The two approaches are so different it makes your attempt at an argument here comical, a negative can proven that comment alone highlights your constant sidestepping, a poor argument like what you're pushing with all these flawed logics and broken analogies is what can't be proven.

That's easy for me I can just highlight sales of their games to show their style and approach connects better with consumers.

Desperation at it's finest, Awakening sold and was recieved better because of the new approach, the's plenty of evidence to support it like how all the other games are good and recieved well critically and their critical average is not even that far from Awakening either with the GBA game hitting around 90% average, TSS and POR hovering in the high 80s and such, quality was never an issue for the series. Custom 3DS' are limited edition and numerous games have those, what changed in Awakening was the approach and what further proves my point is how Fates has sold just as well in Japan following up on the same approach no bundle there either. The previous titles had the same approach and sold poorly while the two new games utilized a new approach and have so far had consistently good sales, evidence is there even if you try hard to not see it.