By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony posts $280M profit. PS4 ships 4 million in Q2 & LTD = 29.3 Million

SWORDF1SH said:
That a lot of PS4's sold without official price cut.

That's shipped, and some of it will be building up stock in preparation for the no doubt already planned price cut. Still, I was expecting 29 max based on VGC estimates, VGC may be short a few hundred K. I don't really expect PS4 to have more than 2 million in the retail channels even now. 2.5 million at a stretch, but not 2.8 million.

Great result for both PS4 and for Sony over all.

Game had the highest revenue of all divisions. Financial was most profitable. Mobile's ongoing loss is not good, but at least it was relatively small. And revenue was reasonable. Sony pictures is actually the biggest disappointment. The biggest loss of all the revenue earning divisions. Spectre can't come soon enough, that and that alone is likely to give Pictures a profitable full year.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Nintyfan90 said:
fluky-nintendy said:
So impressive performances from Sony overall. Majestic performance from PS4. The World needs a console market led by a Playstation console...

What in the world brought you to this conclusion? Besides your fandom ofcourse.

3rd party developers tend to do well in Playstation dominated generations, which means greater willingness to take risks and create new IP. Clearly a PS dominated generation is not better for MS of Nintendo, so it's not an across the board thing. But for the most part its ONLY MS and Nintendo who suffer, while hopefully there will be more 3rd party start ups, and fewer 3rd party closures over the next few years. 7th generation seemed to put a lot of historically pretty decent devs in the ground. Which left us with the behemoths and the minnows and very few inbetweener developers.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Intrinsic said:
to think a lot here predicted ~32M by january 2016. not even 3Q yet and it's pushing 29M.

consoles are dead they said.
front loaded they said
reached its peak they said.

Some people actually predicted it would only sell "30 mill by the end of this year" lol

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=206485

Nintyfan90 said:
Good numbers no doubt but now its time to be critical.
PS4 at the very beginning was outpacing Wii and PS2 easily and now just like that its 5 million behind Wii. PS2 is probably tied with it launch aligned. So its pace has slowed quite a bit. 110M is gonna be hard to pull off if you first have to make the gap up outside of your peak years. I hope that post earlier comparing Ninty and Sonys financials is a misread because if not thats terribly sad for Sony.

PS4 is gonna outsold Wii  life time but not the ps2.

PS2 sold 150 millions lifetime so 100m for ps4 is still possible

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

walsufnir said:
Aerys said:
walsufnir said:

Of course not. Who said this?

I think he meant in America, a lot still think Xbox has a chance there with Halo, whereas it has not.

A chance to what? Win? No. Staying competitive? I think it will. At least the gap won't be as wide as in Europe (without UK).

Around the Network

Holy crap, this is a great number!!!

Ali_16x said:

So almost 30 million in less than 2 years and without a pricecut. That's pretty amazing.

35 million by the end of 2015 seems extremely likely.

From NeoGAF

That's the 8th quarter with PS4 results. Others sales at the end of 8th quarter.

Wii- 34.55m
PS4- 29.30m
PS2- 24.99m
PS3- 16.60m
360- 13.40m

so practically doubling its predecessor.  it's even outpacing the mighty PS2 and with PS home console's traditional lifecycle it will far outpace the Wii by the end.

I am Iron Man

Bail said:
Nintyfan90 said:

What in the world brought you to this conclusion? Besides your fandom ofcourse.

Maybe because when market was led by Playstation consoles (PS1/PS2 eras), those ended up being some of the best consoles ever ?
PS1 & PS2 game libraries are just golden.

plus online wasn't their focus like it was on Xbox.  Playstation has always been about those rich SP experiences even if they've adapted to the modern market lately.  They are still commited through titles like Detroit

I am Iron Man

Zekkyou said:

From what i can tell here http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q2_sonypre.pdf - for Sony's G&NS (Game & Networking Services) division it's:

Q2 2015:
Sales: $3~ billion
Operating Income: $200~ million

Q1 + Q2 2015:
Sales: $5.4~ billion
Operating Income: $360~ million

Maybe it's me misreading something though. I'm really not very good at these threads :p

Yeah I got my Yens and US$ mixed up ignore my post :(

Anyone looking to make a quick buck and has at least $2,000 in the bank, invest that in Sonys stock this morning literally as soon as the market opens up and sell within 15 minutes.

Stock market opens 9:30AM eastern time or 6:30AM pacific.

*Do so at your own discretion

**Sony stock is on the upswing anyway. Off the back of an assuredly strong holiday, you'll probably make money even as a long term investment.