By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony posts $280M profit. PS4 ships 4 million in Q2 & LTD = 29.3 Million

Not unexpected...
Great, astronomical, I would say, price cut wasn't needed, imagine now with it, unless there is huge stock of ps4 on the shelves and it behooved to cut the price to push them, otherwise there is no competition to justify the price drop (well except the UK and the USA)!

P.s They are also now hiding ps3 shipments not just psv(since psp is discontinued and they don't something to combine them)...
That's means either that is slowed down a lot (It was down by 60% in 2014, as I have predicted) or that is very close to its death.
That's sad, because we might not ever learn the LT sales of ps3, unless it escapes from the lips of a sony executive like it happened with psp...

Around the Network

From gaf:

That's the 8th quarter with PS4 results. Others sales at the end of 8th quarter.

Wii- 34.55m
PS4- 29.30m
PS2- 24.99m
PS3- 16.60m
360- 13.40m

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183355520&postcount=58

PS4 did amazing!

tak13 said:

Not unexpected...
Great, astronomical, I would say, price cut wasn't needed, imagine now with it, unless there is huge stock of ps4 on the shelves and it behooved to cut the price to push them, otherwise there is no competition to justify the price drop (well except the UK and the USA)!

P.s They are also now hiding ps3 shipments not just psv(since psp is discontinued and they don't something to combine them)...
That's means either that is slowed down a lot (It was down by 60% in 2014, as I have predicted) or that is very close to its death.
That's sad, because we might not ever learn the LT sales of ps3, unless it escapes from the lips of a sony executive like it happened with psp...

They stopped posting PS3 and PSV numbers in Q1. Really unfortunate

NewGuy said:
SWORDF1SH said:

How does this relate to VGC's numbers?

Sony shipped 29.3M PS4s as of Sep 30th. VGC says PS4 sold 26.5M to consumes as of Oct 3rd. 

Either there are 2.8M PS4s out in the wild now or PS4 is undertracked by about 1.8M.

Looks like machina will have a job on his hands to adjust everything.

NewGuy said:
SWORDF1SH said:

How does this relate to VGC's numbers?

Sony shipped 29.3M PS4s as of Sep 30th. VGC says PS4 sold 26.5M to consumes as of Oct 3rd. 

Either there are 2.8M PS4s out in the wild now or PS4 is undertracked by about 1.8M.

My dear Newguy you should first think the selling pace of a console to assume how much is the stock of it... 

It would be weird for 2.8m on the shelves (you never know) , I agree, but for 2m isn't irrational, and sometimes companies overstuffing the channels! :P XBOX360 was used to have 2m on the shelves, that is proven!

You're implying that there are 1m on the shelves, that's way  low for a console that sells like ps4, this  is what 3DS has in its fourth year and ps4 ships the triple numbers...

Around the Network

Isnt it the biggest undertracking in vg chartz history ?

29,3M shipped while vgc says 26,5M sold, a difference of almost 3M betweel sold and shipped, it cant be

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

tak13 said:
NewGuy said:

My dear Newguy you should first think the selling pace of a console to assume how much is the stock of it... 

It would be weird for 2.8m on the shelves (you never know) , I agree, but for 2m isn't irrational, and sometimes companies overstuffing the channels! :P XBOX360 was used to have 2m on the shelves, that is proven!

You're implying that there are 1m on the shelves, that's way  low for a console that sells like ps4, this  is what 3DS has in its fourth year and ps4 ships the triple numbers...

Saw your post on the other thread as well....let's agree to disagree here, you really think Sony is stuffing the channel with PS4s? lol

Aerys said:
Isnt it the biggest undertracking in vg chartz history ?

29,3M shipped while vgc says 26,5M sold, a difference of almost 3M betweel sold and shipped, it cant be

It's not that bad, they're only off by around 1-1.5 million, you gotta think there's likely around a million units on the shelves as well.

I's say the sold through numbers is probably around 28 million as of end of september. Likely at 29 million by now though.

NewGuy said:
tak13 said:

Saw your post on the other thread as well....let's agree to disagree here, you really think Sony is stuffing the channel with PS4s? lol

I didn't say that ... I put it as a possibility.

However, 1m stock for a console that probably sells  200k a week, it doesn't add up dear...

Sony probably shipped a lot of ps4 in september in anticipation of the price cut this month so 26.5M as of Oct 3rd. is possible.

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan