By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony posts $280M profit. PS4 ships 4 million in Q2 & LTD = 29.3 Million

The downplaying is hilarious. PS4 is beasting the competition(and most consoles in history)any way you slice it.

Around the Network
Nintyfan90 said:

Yet the ps4s biggest Japanese game is being shared with 3DS... I could careless about your opinion of trying to treat handhelds as if they aren't apart of the gaming market. At the end of the day its what I expect from Sony fans trying to spin Sony selling less hardware this Gen. No where did I indicate in my post I was referring to home consoles only. This will be my last response to you.

lol

PS4 > PS3 + PSP at the same timeframe.

What a hell you are talking about? Sony IS selling more hardware than last gen... even combined.

bananaking21 said:
FentonCrackshell said:
I have 2 PS4s. Like the thing but don't love it. I'm amazed by these numbers though. What has people flocking to this machine so readily?

all the freaking games available on it. 

and all those freakings games that are coming between next year and 2017.

CosmicSex said:
Its an absolute shame that Microsoft stopped giving shipped numbers. Even Nintendo does this. They are consistent even when they aren't on top and that is worth admiring.

yeah, I wonder why.  could it be because they want to avoid any comparison with ps4 or because the PR statement of "xb1 is ahead of xb360 at the same point in time" won't work anymore in the near future?

3sexty said:
Lawlight said:

Read my post just above yours.

Thanks for pointing that out. If you will excuse my laziness would you mind pointing out which 3 divisions in Sony made more money than playstation?  Be interesting to know..I'm assuming insurance is one of them? That has done well for sony for some time now..

Sure:

Imaging Products & Solutions (Camera, etc)

Devices (whatever that is)

Financial Services

These 2 also made profits:

Home Entertainment & Sound

Music

Around the Network
Nintyfan90 said:

No where in my post did I indicate I was talking about home consoles only. I could careless about the conversation you want to make it. The market includes handheld devices whether Sony does well at them or not.

The overall discussion was about home consoles. Home console and handheld generations are NOT monolithic. However, you tried to add in handhelds because the results do not agree with your preconceptions. Since you don't seem to care about the actual topic of the conversation, you are being completely disingenuous.

Stay on topic or else, no one will take you seriously.

potato_hamster said:

The whole concept of Console generations is compeletely arbitrary and meaningless. Does the PSP belong to The PS2 Generation or the PS3 generation? It game out between both. Ohh well I guess that's arbiratrary. Does the PSV belong to the PS3 generation or the PS4 generation.  It came out in between both. Ohh crap. Looks like that's completely arbitrary too.

You want to lump PS3 and PSP sales together and PS4 and PSV sales together as if that actually means anything, well that's your perogative. However, such things literally only seem to matter to Nintendo fans, mostly because it helps mask how, with the exception of the Wii and DS, Nintendo hardware has sold less than its predecessor on a fairly linear path.

Tachikoma actually touched on this subject some time ago. I don't remember the thread where she talked about this, but basically, home console and handheld generations are not synchronized. You already pointed out with Playstation. I'll provide examples for Nintendo.

The N64 came out on 1996, but the Gameboy Color came out on 1998.
While the Gameboy Advance and Gamecube were released in 2001, the DS came out on 2004 while the Wii came out on 2006.
Nintendo's current handheld and console, were released in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

Aura7541 said:
potato_hamster said:

The whole concept of Console generations is compeletely arbitrary and meaningless. Does the PSP belong to The PS2 Generation or the PS3 generation? It game out between both. Ohh well I guess that's arbiratrary. Does the PSV belong to the PS3 generation or the PS4 generation.  It came out in between both. Ohh crap. Looks like that's completely arbitrary too.

You want to lump PS3 and PSP sales together and PS4 and PSV sales together as if that actually means anything, well that's your perogative. However, such things literally only seem to matter to Nintendo fans, mostly because it helps mask how, with the exception of the Wii and DS, Nintendo hardware has sold less than its predecessor on a fairly linear path.

Tachikoma actually touched on this subject some time ago. I don't remember the thread where she talked about this, but basically, home console and handheld generations are not synchronized. You already pointed out with Playstation. I'll provide examples for Nintendo.

The N64 came out on 1996, but the Gameboy Color came out on 1998.
While the Gameboy Advance and Gamecube were released in 2001, the DS came out on 2004 while the Wii came out on 2006.
Nintendo's current handheld and console, were released in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

Most people who care about generations don't even consider the Gameboy color to be a new generation. Which means the Gameboy was Nintendo's primary handheld during the span of the NES, SNES, and N64. Which generation is it part of? Ohh well that's arbitrary of course.

The most interesenting thing, is remembering the 2012 comments. People were so sure Sony would fail with the PS4.

OP: PS4 to achieve 30M units sold, right When it's about to complete two years in the market. Amazing.

Mummelmann said:
Likely 1 million or so undertracked here then, I find it hard to believe that there are currently almost 3 million PS4's on shelves.

This is my thinking too... 800k-1m undertracked atm.