By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Retro Studios’ Next Game is Something they Proposed to Nintendo, maybe New IP

Retro Studios’ Next Game is Something they Proposed to Nintendo, and it Could be a New IP

In yesterday's feature from the podcast, Robertson told us that Retro Studios typically gets three chances to pitch a project to Nintendo, and if the concept isn't greenlit by Nintendo after the third attempt, they'll be assigned a project that NCL deems more likely to sell well.

I asked him later on whether Retro Studios' current project is something they pitched to Nintendo, or whether it was a project Nintendo had deemed "safe."

"I don't actually know what the project is, exactly, but I know that it is something that Retro themselves pitched. … They came off of Tropical Freeze in very late 2013, I think it was, and they continued throughout 2014 pitching new projects. … And then they eventually pitched a project that went through, and NCL greenlit, and I assume that's what they're doing now—by all accounts, it is." — Liam Robertson

We joked for a moment before he more seriously said that based on his discussions with sources at Nintendo, he doubts that Retro is working on Metroid Prime 4.

"I don't think Retro wants to do [Metroid Prime 4]. … I'd be surprised if Retro themselves pitched [that]. I think they've had their fill of Metroid. … And if it is Metroid, then it will be something different—like maybe a 2D one, or something—different from Prime." — Liam Robertson

I then asked him whether they could be working on multiple projects at once—a question many Nintendo fans have been speculating for a while—and whether their new project could be a new IP or one of Nintendo's storied franchises.

"I think they have the potential to work on multiple projects, but I feel like the money isn't there. People don't realize it, but Retro is one of the priciest studios for [Nintendo] to maintain, and I can't see them letting them do two projects at once. As far as I know, they have one NCL producer with them right now, and I couldn't see this person overseeing both of them; I think this person would be doing one.

… And you were saying, 'could it be an original property?' I think, actually, the time is now for Retro to do an original property. They've done two established Nintendo franchises, they've done Metroid and Donkey Kong, and I think now is the time to let them take hold of the reins a bit more for themselves and do that. And I think if it is something that they pitched themselves, then that does make it more likely that they pitched something original." — Liam Robertson

We then questioned whether Retro Studios would be making a game more in-tune with Nintendo's current offerings, like they did with their latest two Donkey Kong Country games, or whether they'd do something more Westernized, like a Witcher or Uncharted-type game more akin to their direction with Metroid Prime. Robertson explains that a Westernized type of project is probably a safe bet, considering their work on Metroid Prime, as well as several projects they developed for Nintendo before settling on Prime, which included a vehicular combat game, an outer space combat game, and an American Football game.

http://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/retro-studios-next-game-is-something-they-proposed-to-nintendo-and-it-could

In yesterday's feature from the podcast, Robertson told us that Retro Studios typically gets three chances to pitch a project to Nintendo, and if the concept isn't greenlit by Nintendo after the third attempt, they'll be assigned a project that NCL deems more likely to sell well.

I asked him later on whether Retro Studios' current project is something they pitched to Nintendo, or whether it was a project Nintendo had deemed "safe."

"I don't actually know what the project is, exactly, but I know that it is something that Retro themselves pitched. … They came off of Tropical Freeze in very late 2013, I think it was, and they continued throughout 2014 pitching new projects. … And then they eventually pitched a project that went through, and NCL greenlit, and I assume that's what they're doing now—by all accounts, it is." — Liam Robertson

We joked for a moment before he more seriously said that based on his discussions with sources at Nintendo, he doubts that Retro is working on Metroid Prime 4.

"I don't think Retro wants to do [Metroid Prime 4]. … I'd be surprised if Retro themselves pitched [that]. I think they've had their fill of Metroid. … And if it is Metroid, then it will be something different—like maybe a 2D one, or something—different from Prime." — Liam Robertson

I then asked him whether they could be working on multiple projects at once—a question many Nintendo fans have been speculating for a while—and whether their new project could be a new IP or one of Nintendo's storied franchises.

"I think they have the potential to work on multiple projects, but I feel like the money isn't there. People don't realize it, but Retro is one of the priciest studios for [Nintendo] to maintain, and I can't see them letting them do two projects at once. As far as I know, they have one NCL producer with them right now, and I couldn't see this person overseeing both of them; I think this person would be doing one.

… And you were saying, 'could it be an original property?' I think, actually, the time is now for Retro to do an original property. They've done two established Nintendo franchises, they've done Metroid and Donkey Kong, and I think now is the time to let them take hold of the reins a bit more for themselves and do that. And I think if it is something that they pitched themselves, then that does make it more likely that they pitched something original." — Liam Robertson

We then questioned whether Retro Studios would be making a game more in-tune with Nintendo's current offerings, like they did with their latest two Donkey Kong Country games, or whether they'd do something more Westernized, like a Witcher or Uncharted-type game more akin to their direction with Metroid Prime. Robertson explains that a Westernized type of project is probably a safe bet, considering their work on Metroid Prime, as well as several projects they developed for Nintendo before settling on Prime, which included a vehicular combat game, an outer space combat game, and an American Football game.

- See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/retro-studios-next-game-is-something-they-proposed-to-nintendo-and-it-could#sthash.GzCpbh8n.dpuf

Around the Network

Oooh, I hope it's a new IP from Retro. Would be interesting what they would choose to make.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yeah, everyone expecting Metroid From Retro is gonna be upset. It has been said several times that they don't want to do a Prime game, at least in the traditional sense. Prime Hunters seemed like it is where they wanted to go with the series before Prime Hunters was announced.

Hopefully it's a more serious incredible game, like the Prime Series. Something groundbreaking.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Metroid Prime 4 or GTFO. lol

Around the Network

There isn't much to get from that interview. But this one part made me raise an eyebrow:

"I think they have the potential to work on multiple projects, but I feel like the money isn't there. People don't realize it, but Retro is one of the priciest studios for [Nintendo] to maintain, and I can't see them letting them do two projects at once. As far as I know, they have one NCL producer with them right now, and I couldn't see this person overseeing both of them; I think this person would be doing one."

That doesn't make sense. If Retro is that expensive for Nintendo, then they should be doing more games to make their cost worth it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

As long as it's for the Wii U, I'm good if it's a new IP, Prime 4 or whatever.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

very interested in this project. Hopefully next E3 will show it

JEMC said:

There isn't much to get from that interview. But this one part made me raise an eyebrow:

"I think they have the potential to work on multiple projects, but I feel like the money isn't there. People don't realize it, but Retro is one of the priciest studios for [Nintendo] to maintain, and I can't see them letting them do two projects at once. As far as I know, they have one NCL producer with them right now, and I couldn't see this person overseeing both of them; I think this person would be doing one."

That doesn't make sense. If Retro is that expensive for Nintendo, then they should be doing more games to make their cost worth it.

I agree. The only game they've done this gen is Tropical Freeze. If Retro is so pricey, I would think Nintendo would want them to work on something more significant than that. Or maybe they just really overestimated how much people care about DK games...

BRING RAVEN BLADE BACK!... Or any of their canceled games really. They all looked cool.