By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Retro Studios’ Next Game is Something they Proposed to Nintendo, maybe New IP

Trunkin said:

If I wanted a mature mainstream IP I'd just stick with my PC.

Please be a legitimately AAA 3D platformer! It's basically a dead genre, and Retro proved they can handle 2D platforming. It's time they take the next step.

People like you are exactly the reason why they need a game like that. There should never be an instance where the competition have something you don't have.  "If I wanted X, I would buy something else" should never be said when it comes to your platform,  especially when it's what the vast majority of the gaming audience wants.

Around the Network
Platina said:
Paatar said:
As long as it's for the Wii U, I'm good if it's a new IP, Prime 4 or whatever.

I agree with this

I'm 80% sure it's not for the Wii U.

spemanig said:
Platina said:

I agree with this

I'm 80% sure it's not for the Wii U.

There definitely is a high chance it won't be, but it would be great if it was..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I don't think it will be a new IP. I have this feeling they wanted to develop a new game from an existing IP so to get Ninty's interest they pitched some ideas.

Calling it now, it's a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising for the NX Home, but with more elements from the adventure genre mixed in.  Medusa would return somehow again. Maybe she will be on the neutral/good side and fight a greater evil until right at the end where she turns evil again or something.

The story could go in so many directions.

spemanig said:
Trunkin said:

If I wanted a mature mainstream IP I'd just stick with my PC.

Please be a legitimately AAA 3D platformer! It's basically a dead genre, and Retro proved they can handle 2D platforming. It's time they take the next step.

People like you are exactly the reason why they need a game like that. There should never be an instance where the competition have something you don't have.  "If I wanted X, I would buy something else" should never be said when it comes to your platform,  especially when it's what the vast majority of the gaming audience wants.

Hah, that's one way to look at it. I look to Nintendo to give me what I can't find anywhere else, though. I guess if they're really looking to compete with M$ and Sony head to head next gen, what you say makes sense.

Then again, they can always pay a third party to develope a mainstream title for their system. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Nintendo Studio -- hell, it doesn't even have to be exclusive. As long as You CAN play COD/AC/GTA or any other number of mainstream titles on the system, I don't think it's in Nintendo's best interest to pursue that audience with their first party titles. Their bread and butter is, and always will be, the Mario's, Zelda's, and Donkey Kongs. There is still nothing by anyone else out there that can compete with their major franchises in their respective genres, imo -- expecially when it comes to 3D platforming.

IMO it's Nintendo's "disconnect" with the rest of the industry that makes their systems attractive.

Around the Network

Looking forward to what's in store.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

JEMC said:

There isn't much to get from that interview. But this one part made me raise an eyebrow:

"I think they have the potential to work on multiple projects, but I feel like the money isn't there. People don't realize it, but Retro is one of the priciest studios for [Nintendo] to maintain, and I can't see them letting them do two projects at once. As far as I know, they have one NCL producer with them right now, and I couldn't see this person overseeing both of them; I think this person would be doing one."

That doesn't make sense. If Retro is that expensive for Nintendo, then they should be doing more games to make their cost worth it.

Doesn't work that way, Retro are a very small studio in comparison to many out there it's still a question if they're able to handle multiple projects as they're only around 100 people at Retro. Rare had 200 people when under Nintendo for comparison sake and game development back then in the 90s is not in the same ball park as today, a typical power house studio today like Naughty Dog has around 300 people which is 3 times the size of what Retro is, It'd make more sense to have Retro focus on one project and get it on par with everything else they've done.

Rare themselves are an example of too many projects at once which would force Nintendo to have to jump in and hold their hand, they clearly don't want that again with Retro. 

Trunkin said:

Hah, that's one way to look at it. I look to Nintendo to give me what I can't find anywhere else, though. I guess if they're really looking to compete with M$ and Sony head to head next gen, what you say makes sense.

Then again, they can always pay a third party to develope a mainstream title for their system. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Nintendo Studio -- hell, it doesn't even have to be exclusive. As long as You CAN play COD/AC/GTA or any other number of mainstream titles on the system, I don't think it's in Nintendo's best interest to pursue that audience with their first party titles. Their bread and butter is, and always will be, the Mario's, Zelda's, and Donkey Kongs. There is still nothing by anyone else out there that can compete with their major franchises in their respective genres, imo -- expecially when it comes to 3D platforming.

IMO it's Nintendo's "disconnect" with the rest of the industry that makes their systems attractive.

That's the thing though - The sole reason retro studios exists is to appeal to those gamers. That's why they made them in the first place. End it definitely has to be exclusive. They need to give people a reason to buy the NX instead of the competition. That only comes from exclusives. That mainstream audience that dominates the west won't support third-party if there aren't any exclusives of that same ilk to hook them in in the first place. Nintendo just doesn't have the audience for that at the moment.

I'm not saying they should  stop making those other games. They need more though. They need  Way more than just Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon. They need western, mainstream IP as well. And they need exclusive. That's how you cultivate an audience.  And everyone else's opinion, it's Nintendo's "disconnect" that makes them utterly unattractive. That's a serious issue.

I didn't have time to read the whole article but this stood out to me: they spent the remaining 2013 and throughout 2014 pitching ideas until one stuck.... wtf? So they weren't doing shit until just around the end of 2014 early 2015, just pitching ideas all this time? What a fucking massive waste of time.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Metroid Prime 4 or GTFO. lol

This or a 2D to 3D metroid game.  It's the only reason I care about Retro.  Don't even care how amazing a new IP from them might be.  No Metroid, no poon tang.

Exactly. Lets make a t-shirt with the slogan "No Metroid, no poon tang."