By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC Gaming vs Console Gaming

What do you prefer

Console 191 67.02%

PC 94 32.98%

Total:285
Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

It's a bit fiddly. PC normally doesn't take overscan areas into account. I lose half of the task bar on my projector as I have it calibrated for TV and the image is not a perfect rectangle.

For decades AMD and nVidia have had driver settings for Overscan.

I suggest you change your input method and/or set the proper resolution, most people don't realise that many 720P. Aka 1280x720 TV's are actually native 1366x768.

The projector is native 1080p, I have it set to slightly project over the black borders of the screen to fill all the gaps (since it's not a perfect rectangle) and to keep unwanted 'out of screen' info from my cable provider out of view.
And yes my gpu has those settings, but it shrinks the desktop. That's not what I want. I want a safe area for text and buttons to stay inside, while background and games (minus the hud) keep filling the entire screen. There are probably ways around it, yet as I said it's fiddly. (just like this quote system)

Btw the rest of your reply negates itself. Recommending cheap 2nd hand parts (you can buy second hand consoles too of course), yet claiming you never have problems because you buy server grade equipment, while gaming on a triple 1440p setup. That's not cheap...

It doesn't matter how good your stuff is, some problems simply happen more often with PC games. For example I played Elite Dangerous for months. After a certain patch my controller ID wasn't read out correctly anymore, resulting in the game resetting all controller bindings on startup. Actually rewriting the ini file at that point, so backing it up and replacing it didn't work. I still have the 11 screenshots of settings I had to go through every time I started up the game until the next weekly patch fixed it. And every patch reset the graphics settings, joy. Plus the server is UK based so it always went down for daily maintenance during my regular play time. (I wonder how the game is doing now on XBox One. It released last month, haven't heard anything about it.)

Experience varies on PC. I love the games and sometimes it does just work. Jotun (great game from kickstarter) looks very polished for an indie game and works flawlessly from the get go with a ps4 controller. No setup required. Yet I could not get SpinTires to work with the ps4 controller and stuck with keyboard. (great game apart from the random crashes, exit and backup the save game often as it deletes it on load to prevent cheating... if the game exits to desktop your progress is gone)

Yet buying Worms Armageddon for $2 in a Steam sale, a game I played with my father and sister 20 years ago and can now play with my kids, is priceless. And it looks awesome too in 1080p.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
I think people forget about the cost of hassle. The hours spending fixing game issues on PC is priceless to me.

So on which games did you personally spent hours fixing them on your PC?

Conina said:
Lawlight said:
I think people forget about the cost of hassle. The hours spending fixing game issues on PC is priceless to me.

So on which games did you personally spent hours fixing them on your PC?

When I was gaming on PC, so many. I remember Die By The Sword wouldn't even start past the menu. FF7 would randomly slow down to a crawl. More recently (I don't play PC games but I was just trying), Crysis would get a bug where when starting the game, I couldn't move the mouse or the keyboard, I think. I remember finding the issue to be not unique to me online.

BasilZero said:
Lawlight said:

When I was gaming on PC, so many. I remember Die By The Sword wouldn't even start past the menu. FF7 would randomly slow down to a crawl. More recently (I don't play PC games but I was just trying), Crysis would get a bug where when starting the game, I couldn't move the mouse or the keyboard, I think. I remember finding the issue to be not unique to me online.

Sounds like you have a issue with your PC lol. Specifically with FF7 - how can anyone have a slow down for a old ass game like that o.o? I get 60 FPS even while recording with FRAPs which is a hog in terms of the CPU.

Had no issues whatsoever when I played FF7 and Crysis on PC. Never heard of the first game though o.O.

So, every PC that I have is at fault? And maybe because I played FF7 PC in 1999?

As an example, just go to CDProjekt's tech support forums and have a look at the number of issues that people are getting on PC. And that's just one game.

BasilZero said:
Lawlight said:

So, every PC that I have is at fault? And maybe because I played FF7 PC in 1999?

As an example, just go to CDProjekt's tech support forums and have a look at the number of issues that people are getting on PC. And that's just one game.

It is a possibility @ bolded

Well there's your issue! You played an ancient version of FF7 during a time where gaming PCs were in bad shape (and optimization was pretty bad). I'm playing the re-released steam version and had no issues with the frame rate.

I've never had issues with any of the games I played and no need to go to the devs of The Witcher series - plan to play 1 and 2 on Steam in the future and will get 3 after I build myself a new rig next year.

The only issue I've ever had with a PC game was Max Payne 1 but finding a resolution only took me 1 minute on google search - had to change the compatability for the game to Windows 98 since it was a late 1990s port and not a new port like FF7. Didnt have any issues at all after that and that was like 3 years ago.

I guess you're just plain lucky then. That simple.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Every PC I have owned for the last several decades has been fault-free for me.

I did see a statistic a few years ago which pegged something like 70% of all computer problems were the cause of the end user, which wouldn't surprise me as I have worked in the field of electronic repairs.

I actually had one moron try to get rid of ants out of their computer using insect spray whilst it was turned on, I wish I was kidding.

Lawlight said:

Of course I need to know what games - not all games are equal. So, for the past 6 weeks, Red Alert 2 has been the free game. As for F2P, well they're F2P.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851573

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-free-games-play-right-now/

http://www.mmofront.com/games/free-to-play

https://www.gog.com/mix/free_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freeware_video_games

You have HUNDREDS of free games on PC

For the price of your Xbox Live! Gold or PSN+ subscription you could have another several hundred via Humble Bundle.

Bundlestars has also given away free games on the odd occassion too.

Some of the *best* games of all time are free and only on PC and have monolithic sized communities, do keep that in mind.

Lawlight said:
Sales happen for console games as well, not to mention PS+, which means that I haven't actually had to buy a game in years.

I have seen those sales. I have laughed at those sales. Those sales are pathetic in comparison.

Whilst you might get a few dozen games "discounted" on say.. Steam. You could have over 3,000+ titles discounted.
I have also witnessed multiple times in the past where the console discounted games was still more expensive than a PC non-discounted game.

The PC also has more store fronts so you can shop around.

You have a plethora of key sites like cdkeys.com, gog.com, Origin, Steam, uPlay, Gamersgate, Green man gaming, Desura, Amazon, Humble Store, G2A, Gamestop and many many many more.

PC games tend to have more competition between vendors, so discounts, member benefits are far more common thanks to capitalism and competition.

SvennoJ said:

Btw the rest of your reply negates itself. Recommending cheap 2nd hand parts (you can buy second hand consoles too of course), yet claiming you never have problems because you buy server grade equipment, while gaming on a triple 1440p setup. That's not cheap...

I have an old 8-9 year old Core 2 Quad PC, Phenom 2 x4 and a Phenom 2 x6, AMD FX 8120 and 8320, i7 3930K, i7 5960X. That has all been faultless since I built them.

Yes my primary rig is expensive and so was my 3930K rig, they use server grade hardware for various reasons, but not all my systems are.

You have choice. Don't want to spend allot of money, maybe $100 tops? Then don't spend allot of money. Have a ton of cash to burn? You could drop $10,000 easy.

You could probably pick up a Core 2 Quad or Nahelem based rig for like $50 second hand, Sandy Bridge for about $100. Drop in a new GPU... And Bobs your uncle, cheap gaming.

In the end it is all irrellevant. People will choose what they want.
At the moment PC gaming is growing, maybe even at the expense of console gaming if steams 125+ million active users (Probably hundreds of millions more accounts) is anything to go by and the slow down in total console sales.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

All you need for gaming is a PC and the current Nintendo console.

Always and forever Console!!!

Pemalite said:

"Uh. No. I do not condone the act of piracy.

You do get free games on PC, which are not hidden by a paywall."

You talk about the PC having access to the complete librarys of older consoles, this is piracy you are talking about. Doesn't matter if the games are old you still have zero rights to access them while they might become available on things like the e-shop or psn/xbla.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Why do people ALWAYS pretend you absolutely need to buy a monitor for playing PC games?, I run HDMI to my TV and just sit in front of it with a wireless controller and play happily via Steam Big-screen, the notion that you 100% need a monitor to be a pc gamer is super dated and innaccurate.