Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC Gaming vs Console Gaming

What do you prefer

Console 191 67.02%

PC 94 32.98%

Total:285
JNK said:

3. Expierence

3.1 Online

PC didnt use any standard online plattform. Often many different plattforms are needed (steam, uplay, origin, teamspeak, skype, battlenet and more)

Consoles have 1 standard plattform, all friends in one list, on party voice chat. +1 Console

3.2 Gaming

Console games were played with a controller on a couch. You can control the interface with the controller and play the games. PCs are made to be used on a desktop. You can connect them to your TV and hook up an controller, but the controls wont work was good. Its personal preference, if you like to play on an desk or on the couch, but in my opinion lying on the couch is more enjoyable. Tie (personal preference).

3.3 Choice

• Person A wants to play fast shooters / racing games with more than 60 fps. It's possible on PC with a 120 or 144 hz monitor.
  • Person B wants to play games in native 4K, the framerate ain't that important to him. It's possible on PC.
  • Person C wants to play some games in stereoscopic 3D (Ori looks gorgeous in 3D). It's possible on PC.
  • Person D wants to play some games in ultra widescreen (3 monitor setup) for a better immersion. It's possible on PC.
  • Person E wants to play some games/genres with gamepad, some with mouse only and some with a mouse/keyboard-combination. It's possible on PC.
  • Person F wants to play all games with a mouse/keyboard-combination. It's possible on PC.
  • Person G doesn't like motion blur effects (or some other effects) in games. He can turn them off on PC.
  • Person H wants better textures or additional quests or different weather or my-little-pony-dragons or whatever in Skyrim / GTA.... He can install mods that allow that on PC.

3.4 Backwards compatibility

Most older PC games not only run on newer PCs, they run better than ever before. You can replay games like Oblivion, Mass Effect 1 - 3, BioShock 1 + 2, Half-Life 2, The Witcher 1 + 2, GTA IV, Doom 3 on maxed settings in 1080p or higher resolutions and/or with solid 120/144 fps/hz without buying (or waiting for) a "remastered edition". Older PC games like Deus Ex 1, Gothic 2, System Shock 2 and Outcast get massive graphical improvements for free.

Around the Network

I prefer gaming on my PC because:

1.It's cheaper for me in the long run with upgrades.

2.Games are cheaper for me and in the long run in terms of backlog.

3.Ability to mods the majority of my games to the way I see fit.

4.Being able to use almost any peripheral I want to tailor to my experience.

5.Being able to game at 1080p 60fps with the majority of my games and above that in shorter time.

6.Having all my games on one platform and full BC, example of me playing Red Alert 2 recently.

7.Being able to hook my PC up to my TV and monitor at the same time for dual screen uses and then there's more monitors to hook up in the future.

8.Being able to customize my build both visually and physically to how I want it.

9.Being able to tune my games in various ways from multiple options within the game,SweetFX, INI files, NV inspector etc.

10.Then there's the ongoing list of exclusives that PC still has and the list keeps on going.

11.Multiplat titles playing better (most of the time, don't be a jerk and throw in AK to disable this point).

Those are reasons from recent memory that I can come up with but others here have already brought up more points as to why I game on PC. That said I don't just play on PC, I play my 3DS every day and still going for a Wii U now I managed to snag a TV a few weeks back.

In all honesty though I wish we'd stop creating vs threads like this because the poll show it's obvious how big one community is here over the other and I will always get that nagging feeling of one community wanting to completely kill the other off (anything positive for PC on here gets blasted pretty hard and trodden on).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

d21lewis said:
I only glanced at the op. I'm not a pc gamer but--why can't you use a TV as a monitor? I have a PC and a laptop connected to different TVs using VGA cables. They look great!

It's a bit fiddly. PC normally doesn't take overscan areas into account. I lose half of the task bar on my projector as I have it calibrated for TV and the image is not a perfect rectangle. My PC also gets 'confused' when I temporariliy change inputs, switching the desktop to a different resolution when hdmi loses focus which tends to crash certain games.

Besides that it's just not comfortable playing civilization type games on tv. They're not comfortable on console either, yet if you're going to game on PC, why ignore the genres that work best behind a desk.

It can be an extra though, not essential. You can always move your tv onto a desk, or put a desk in front of the tv. (If you live alone...)

Where the both choice ! i like both, depend on what,when & where i want to play.

Saeko said:
Where the both choice ! i like both, depend on what,when & where i want to play.

You're wrong.

One of them HAS to be better than the other!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
JNK said:

So we all know the "pc masterrace" people, right?

I just wanted to check if PC gaming is really advanced compared to console gaming.

Here is my comparison. 

1. Price

1.1 Purchase

Pcs on same performance as consoles are more expensive. You cant really use your tv as a screen and need an monitor as well. =  Console +1

1.2 Games

PC Games in general are cheaper as console games. You can get games on key stores often for half price compared to console games. = PC +1

Console games can be bought used, swapped with friends and you can sell them later. Often not possible on pc. = Console +1

1.3 Gaming in general

Modern consoles need subscrition models for Online gaming. You will get free games, but not everybody want those games. If you want to play online, you have to pay the same price, no matter if you like the game or not. On PC you can decide when you want to get an cheap games (steam sale). Its not forced to get those and online is free. PC +1

PCs get outdated quicker as consoles and need to be updated frequently. The Xbox 360 launched in 2005. No way any 2005 pc could handle games like GTA V or the upcoming Rise of the Tomb Raider, even on lowest settings. Console +1

1.4 Accessories

Good quality accessories (Controller, Mouse, keyboard) have similar prices on both. Both support cheaper third party solutions. Tie

Conclusion: Console 3 / PC 2

Winner: Console. Console Gaming in general is cheaper as pc gaming.

2. Gaming

2.1 Multiplattform games

On strong PC hardware multiplattform games will look better as on consoles. Higher Framerate, better resolution and more details are often possible. Also pcs are able to use mods. PC +1

2.2 Exclusive games

Both plattform have exclusive games, but in general console exclusive have a higher quality. In the Top 100 of metacritic scores are way more console exclusive games as pc exclusives games. Also consoles exclusives game usual have better visuals, scince the budget on pc exclusive games is smaller.

On the other Hand some genres arnt even available on consoles (MMOs, RTS, Free2play). But we also need to keep in mind, games like GTA V were released on consoles eariler (timed exclusives). All in all games like Zelda, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Halo and co have higher quality then pc games (at least in terms of metacritic). Console +1

Gaming: Tie. Both plattforms have their pros and cons. While Multiplattform games often look better on pcs, console exclusives like driveclub, uncharted order order1886 even surpass many multiplattform games in terms of graphics on pc. (1/1)

3. Expierence

3.1 Online

PC didnt use any standard online plattform. Often many different plattforms are needed (steam, uplay, origin, teamspeak, skype, battlenet and more)

Consoles have 1 standard plattform, all friends in one list, on party voice chat. +1 Console

3.2 Gaming

Console games were played with a controller on a couch. You can control the interface with the controller and play the games. PCs are made to be used on a desktop. You can connect them to your TV and hook up an controller, but the controls wont work was good. Its personal preference, if you like to play on an desk or on the couch, but in my opinion lying on the couch is more enjoyable. Tie (personal preference).

Winner: Console. Overall the console expierence is better. You dont need to build your system, bother with drivers and co. Its pretty much plug and play. (1/0)

Conclusion:

I tried to make the comparison as fair as possible. Overall consoles gaming got more points as pc gaming.

Well, even as I do prefer consoles over PC, I still see your comparison a little flawed. Of course you can plug your PC to your TV via HDMI or VGA.

Biggest problem with the games is, that most are designed consoles first, resulting the PC games ending up being dumbed down. In the same way a year old PC is outdated, so is a year old console - and usually consoles are outdated at launch when you compare it to a high-end PC.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Consoles are mainstream and popular... And charge you to play online, and games are more expensive, and no mods and i could keep on all night :p

I love consoles but lets just face the truth all together ok?

Uabit said:

Consoles are mainstream and popular... And charge you to play online, and games are more expensive, and no mods and i could keep on all night :p

I love consoles but lets just face the truth all together ok?

The truth is that consoles are the best place to play console exclusives.

Unless there's a proper emulator around.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JNK said:

So we all know the "pc masterrace" people, right?

I just wanted to check if PC gaming is really advanced compared to console gaming.

Here is my comparison. 

1. Price

1.1 Purchase

Pcs on same performance as consoles are more expensive. You cant really use your tv as a screen and need an monitor as well. =  Console +1

1.2 Games

PC Games in general are cheaper as console games. You can get games on key stores often for half price compared to console games. = PC +1

Console games can be bought used, swapped with friends and you can sell them later. Often not possible on pc. = Console +1

1.3 Gaming in general

Modern consoles need subscrition models for Online gaming. You will get free games, but not everybody want those games. If you want to play online, you have to pay the same price, no matter if you like the game or not. On PC you can decide when you want to get an cheap games (steam sale). Its not forced to get those and online is free. PC +1

PCs get outdated quicker as consoles and need to be updated frequently. The Xbox 360 launched in 2005. No way any 2005 pc could handle games like GTA V or the upcoming Rise of the Tomb Raider, even on lowest settings. Console +1

1.4 Accessories

Good quality accessories (Controller, Mouse, keyboard) have similar prices on both. Both support cheaper third party solutions. Tie

Conclusion: Console 3 / PC 2

Winner: Console. Console Gaming in general is cheaper as pc gaming.

2. Gaming

2.1 Multiplattform games

On strong PC hardware multiplattform games will look better as on consoles. Higher Framerate, better resolution and more details are often possible. Also pcs are able to use mods. PC +1

2.2 Exclusive games

Both plattform have exclusive games, but in general console exclusive have a higher quality. In the Top 100 of metacritic scores are way more console exclusive games as pc exclusives games. Also consoles exclusives game usual have better visuals, scince the budget on pc exclusive games is smaller.

On the other Hand some genres arnt even available on consoles (MMOs, RTS, Free2play). But we also need to keep in mind, games like GTA V were released on consoles eariler (timed exclusives). All in all games like Zelda, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Halo and co have higher quality then pc games (at least in terms of metacritic). Console +1

Gaming: Tie. Both plattforms have their pros and cons. While Multiplattform games often look better on pcs, console exclusives like driveclub, uncharted order order1886 even surpass many multiplattform games in terms of graphics on pc. (1/1)

3. Expierence

3.1 Online

3.2 Gaming

Winner: Console. Overall the console expierence is better. You dont need to build your system, bother with drivers and co. Its pretty much plug and play. (1/0)

Conclusion:

I tried to make the comparison as fair as possible. Overall consoles gaming got more points as pc gaming.

1.1You get much more out of a pc and do not have to pay for online subscriptions for most multiplayer. You can use any recent tv with a computer i currently have a 32 inch lcd hooked up to mine. Tie

1.2 Tie

1.3 you eventually have to bu new consoles.My rig that I used during that gen had no problems running anything that came on those platforms. Tie

1.4 Tie

Conclusion . Tie you are not well versed in pc gaming.

Gaming

2.1 pc+1

2.2 +1 console debatable.

2.3 +1 pc due to pc having having an extrordinary amount of legacy content and emulation and rom hack community

3 experience

3.1 pc more complicated but free, can do everything the others do. tie

3.2 Anything the console can do the pc can as well in this sense. tie

Conclusion Pc 2 console 1.

For me its consoles.
I do have a 1600 euro gaming pc but only use it for eve online.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil