By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 American Nightmare

I was just looking at the combined US/JAP chart and it seems that the PS3 is actually doing worse then GC and Xbox360 is only doing a little better. On the other hand the PS3 is STILL doing better then The Dreamcast and that HAS to count for something!

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

As this point, I think Sony should hope the PS3 is similar to the N64. The N64 had some of the best titles of it's generation even though it didn't win. Not only that, it had titles that redefined gameplay: Goldeneye 007, Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, just to name a few. If the PS3 does things like that, I wouldn't turn away the console. I loved the N64 and put so many hours into quite a few titles during that generation.

Little Big Planet looks like a title that could make a difference in next-gen 4 player co-op/user created content.

The PS3 may contain some serious gems that you just won't see on other systems.

I've said it in a few other threads, and I'll say it here, I'm on pins and needles wondering what Team ICO has to show us. After ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, imagine what they could do with all that power. 

I was just reading on another board that for PS3, Japan + US + Canada numbers for April are less than 100k combined. The 360 is actually pulling further away from the PS3 now.

Cipherr said:
I was just reading on another board that for PS3, Japan + US + Canada numbers for April are less than 100k combined. The 360 is actually pulling further away from the PS3 now.

Link please! 

I doubt that, Cipherr. PS3 sales in Japan have been at *least* 10K/week. Just 40K plus the 82 that NPD is reporting goes over 120K, and the Japanese number for the month is probably closer to the 50-60K range. I mean, there are a lot of ways to make fun of the PS3 numbers (PS3 US monthly numbers are lower than Wii Japan weekly numbers), but less than 100K worldwide is just off.

Around the Network

At this rate it's still going to take the 360 2 months to crack 10 million. With Wii selling almost 1 million a month World Wide at the moment I think John Lucas' prediction that Wii will overtake 360 by the end of July will come true... quite honestly it could possibly happen sooner than that... 3 months the Wii has and it's less than 3 million behind at the moment... if it keeps up (and it is likely too even go UP) I can't see much doubt in this prediction. You know what, I'm going to go along with Lucas on this one... Wii has caught 360 so fast!!!

I remember another quote. Something along the lines of "We will sell 5 million quick. People will buy it even if it doesnt haven any games." One of my favorites, next to "If you find a PS3 on shelves that has been sitting there for more than [Dont remember, but not more than a day], I will pay you $1,200".

It *can't* happen before July. Even assuming the current VGChartz numbers don't include any of May (which they do), Wii has an absolute maximum of 2.5 million units before July starts (given 1.2 million/month production, and allowing for 100K of fudge room). Assuming Microsoft sells *no* units, and *everything* goes *completely* in Nintendo's favor, they're still about 100K units shy of MS. Now, factor in reality and the fact that the 360 will likely reach 10 million before the start of July, and you have Nintendo probably half a million shy of Microsoft as of July 1st. Which is well within grasping range for the month of July when you consider that Japan alone will probably just about close that gap in a month.

shams said:
Its till early days guys. Wait until a couple of "big" titles come out (Lair, Heavenly Sword, etc..) - then see how the PS3 sales perform. Its no surprise that hardware is not moving when there are no games available. What this is doing though - is sending a clear message to PS3 developers... be wary. Sony should have launched 6-12 months later, with a heap of quality games, cheaper price and more PS3 units.

Kotaku's recent hands on indicates both games will likely not live up to the hype

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Dolla Dolla said:

As this point, I think Sony should hope the PS3 is similar to the N64. The N64 had some of the best titles of it's generation even though it didn't win. Not only that, it had titles that redefined gameplay: Goldeneye 007, Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, just to name a few. If the PS3 does things like that, I wouldn't turn away the console. I loved the N64 and put so many hours into quite a few titles during that generation.

Little Big Planet looks like a title that could make a difference in next-gen 4 player co-op/user created content.

The PS3 may contain some serious gems that you just won't see on other systems.

I've said it in a few other threads, and I'll say it here, I'm on pins and needles wondering what Team ICO has to show us. After ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, imagine what they could do with all that power. 

I agree, the first run of games on the ps3 look amazing, and yes there will be some gems, ..think about how good they will look toward the end of the run....or who knows sony might try and market it for 10 years??....or have another model to replace it.