By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Do you consider METAL, techno, screamo, etc music or just entertainment?

Music or just entertainment

M 71 81.61%

E 2 2.30%

neither 3 3.45%

other, explain 2 2.30%

see results 5 5.75%

Jackie CHan MEme ( WHat, I do not even) 4 4.60%

Total:87
Toxy said:
CladInShadows said:

As a fan of metal, I think screams and growls have more in common with percussive instruments than traditional singing. If the growls follow a rhythm, goes with what the other instruments are playing, and are pleasing to the ear of the listener, it's absolutely music.

I agree kind sir. However, I am afraid your words will fall on deaf ears. Tread with caution.

I think I'll survive.  Music for me is very personal, and I've learned that I don't need to defend or justify my love of metal.  I've been listening to metal for at least 25 years and have heard every counter-argument in the book.

Besides, and I think you'd probably disagree here, but I think padib has made some valid points and has presented his argument fairly, for the most part.

Around the Network

padib said:

I am not saying that all screamo music is bad...

1. I don't believe I implied that. But that being said, there are good examples and bad examples of just about every genre of music out there. I have heard some shitty shitty metal in my day, let me tell ya.

2. I'm not a fan of screamo in any way, so I'll take your word for it. My passion is metal, and that's all I'm qualified to speak on.

Anyways, I can definitely see where you're coming from in this argument.  Taken on its own, screams do not sound like what most would consider music. Especially in that video you posted because it's just random screaming. I'm sure if you isolate some bass-lines from some music, it would be hard to see the music in that as well.  I think metal, much more so than many other genres, is about the whole sound. It's how the vocals, guitars, drums, and any other instrumental arrangements come together to form music. Take one instrument out and isolate it, and it sounds far removed from the whole. I won't directly compare it with classical music, but some parallels can be drawn.

So yeah, it's hard to claim that random growling alone is music, but pull all the pieces together and it gets harder to deny the musicality.

padib said:
CladInShadows said:

padib said:

I am not saying that all screamo music is bad...

1. I don't believe I implied that. But that being said, there are good examples and bad examples of just about every genre of music out there. I have heard some shitty shitty metal in my day, let me tell ya.

2. I'm not a fan of screamo in any way, so I'll take your word for it. My passion is metal, and that's all I'm qualified to speak on.

Anyways, I can definitely see where you're coming from in this argument.  Taken on its own, screams do not sound like what most would consider music. Especially in that video you posted because it's just random screaming. I'm sure if you isolate some bass-lines from some music, it would be hard to see the music in that as well.  I think metal, much more so than many other genres, is about the whole sound. It's how the vocals, guitars, drums, and any other instrumental arrangements come together to form music. Take one instrument out and isolate it, and it sounds far removed from the whole. I won't directly compare it with classical music, but some parallels can be drawn.

So yeah, it's hard to claim that random growling alone is music, but pull all the pieces together and it gets harder to deny the musicality.

I'm glad we can meet in the middle here. The clip of the guy screaming was there to convey an idea, especially to help us define what in our minds is, and what is not music. Though it's clear to many people here that the clip is not music, who's to say that someday a genre will not emerge where people express themselves by creating non-music for people to listen to, as a form of countering conformity? Put a cacophonic base run and some horrible percussion-like sounds and you have some form of creation. Also, some genres of music exploit noise and dissonance in order to create some form of musical expression. Is it not music though it lacks harmony in a few segments? Just an example: 

And then there's the other side of the coin. Music isn't exclusively defined by the existence of an arrangement. I could hum a new melody accapella, it would still be music.

All in all the question is very fair.

Music isn't exclusively defined in black and white, anyways. Which is why this thread exists. What is music and (especially) what is considered GOOD music varies from person to person, and from culture to culture.  Which is why music that originates from Ireland, Africa, Sweden, India, and Compton will all vary greatly.  Sure, there's a lot of cross contamination, but certain conditions and political climates will foster different music in different parts of the world. 

Since I know that a good portion of the population would scoff at the music I listen to and question its musical relevance, I have come to accept that even though there's a lot of styles out there that I strongly dislike (rap comes to mind), I can't deny that millions/billions of people love it and absolutely consider it music. I don't have the right to say it is or isn't music.

progressive metal is just about as pretentious as you can get with music, and I love it. Symphony x, Dream Theater, 30 minute epic magun opus tracks, guitar solos as long as your average pop song. They're all inspired by pink Floyd and rush, jazz elements, symphony x incorporates classical music into their work. So yea it's music. But I don't know what you mean by entertainment? Like dubstep?

FaptinPlanet said:
progressive metal is just about as pretentious as you can get with music, and I love it. Symphony x, Dream Theater, 30 minute epic magun opus tracks, guitar solos as long as your average pop song. They're all inspired by pink Floyd and rush, jazz elements, symphony x incorporates classical music into their work. So yea it's music. But I don't know what you mean by entertainment? Like dubstep?

You should try 7th wonder the great escape, wonderful album with a 30 minuten programma metal track. Iron Maiden's empire of the clouds also sounds like something you would enjoy.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
padib said:
CladInShadows said:

Music isn't exclusively defined in black and white, anyways. Which is why this thread exists. What is music and (especially) what is considered GOOD music varies from person to person, and from culture to culture.  Which is why music that originates from Ireland, Africa, Sweden, India, and Compton will all vary greatly.  Sure, there's a lot of cross contamination, but certain conditions and political climates will foster different music in different parts of the world. 

Since I know that a good portion of the population would scoff at the music I listen to and question its musical relevance, I have come to accept that even though there's a lot of styles out there that I strongly dislike (rap comes to mind), I can't deny that millions/billions of people love it and absolutely consider it music. I don't have the right to say it is or isn't music.

What did you think of the Hail Santa clip?

Did I like it?  Well, it definitely generated a feeling of unease, which tends to happen when dissonance is employed.  I used to own this album back in the day and quite often turned it off before the final track, but I don't dislike it.

Is it music?  Absolutely. And I don't think anybody can deny that it is.

padib said:
CladInShadows said:

Did I like it?  Well, it definitely generated a feeling of unease, which tends to happen when dissonance is employed.  I used to own this album back in the day and quite often turned it off before the final track, but I don't dislike it.

Is it music?  Absolutely. And I don't think anybody can deny that it is.

I think it's debatable. When the music's key feature is "unmusic", noise, or disharmony, can it be called music?

That was the point of the video

I disagree, but I suppose that's where the debate part comes in, eh? :)

I consider John Cage's works music, so I guess that's your answer. Really anything that has the intent of being music is music to me. I do enjoy all kinds of music. That includes screamo, industrial, speedcore and jpop.

I don't know where you're going with the seperation of music and entertainment when music is one part of entertainment. Every piece of music is entertainment. Everything in this world revolves around entertainment so I don't know where you get off calling anything "just" entertainment when it's at the core of our continued existence.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

People who write their own music, is not a entertainer. THE end

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Although not a fan of the category "techno" I do think that it is actually more about music than most other genres. The reason being most others have an emphasis on just lyrics. That and classical is really the most pure form of music, one just being the natural evolution of the other. One can of course argue about the quality of the former, but luckily there's a lot of great subgenre that isnt just put together quickly through loops only. A favourite of mine right now has to be deep house. The low and high keys mashed together makes for quite the varied listening experience. You guys should check out zhu. In the more uplifting area, autograf. Is a damn fine artist.