By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony more open-minded about Physical Media than Nintendo and Microsoft?

physical media hardware is/was their primary business. Should not be that strange.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Doesn't surprise me. Sony will likely be anchored to physical media for another 6-7 years, so it makes sense for them to be open with it. Nintendo doesn't care because it'll be all digital in a year with the NX meaning Digital Run Games is completely irrelevant to them, and Microsoft already showed through its XBO reveal the desire to ween people off physical, so all is as it should be.

I expect an entire thread from you admitting that you were dead wrong the moment Nintendo's next console is announced as having physical media. Anything short of that, will be insufficient.

AlfredoTurkey said:

I expect an entire thread from you admitting that you were dead wrong the moment Nintendo's next console is announced as having physical media. Anything short of that, will be insufficient.

Patent.

spemanig said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Patent.

And Nintendo had a patent for this.

It never happened.

spemanig said:

Doesn't surprise me. Sony will likely be anchored to physical media for another 6-7 years, so it makes sense for them to be open with it. Nintendo doesn't care because it'll be all digital in a year with the NX meaning Digital Run Games is completely irrelevant to them, and Microsoft already showed through its XBO reveal the desire to ween people off physical, so all is as it should be.

And how did the people react, might I ask?

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Sharpryno said:
I support digital. Mainly because Steam is the best service for gamers out there and used games sales do nothing but hurt devs and there are a massive amount of cheapskates out there that will wait for the game to be $20 or less at gamestop before buying.

And that is different than people waiting for the humble bundles on steam?

BooYah.

spemanig said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Patent.

its discless patent and not digital only

AlfredoTurkey said:
spemanig said:

He could spam thread after thread faster than Spurgie admitting that he was wrong. Yet it won't make up for months and months of reading his monotone digital love affair posts. Big problem is that he doesn't even understand why people like physical media or that offering both is the way to go. 

OT: Sure man, Sony da best. I make your day. 

green_sky said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

He could spam thread after thread faster than Spurgie admitting that he was wrong. Yet it won't make up for months and months of reading his monotone digital love affair posts. Big problem is that he doesn't even understand why people like physical media or that offering both is the way to go. 

OT: Sure man, Sony da best. I make your day. 

I think I got this one!
People vastly prefer physical because they actually, physicall OWN the game themselves and they can do whatever they want with it. (Sell it again to a friend or lend it to them. - That's what I did with Sonic Generations.) Also, this may be just me, but I love the box art of all those games, I think they look really cool!

And offering both is the way to go because it gives more options to the consumer and to the gamer as to what they want to go with.

I don't know, Sony was part of the group that made the Blu-ray disk. It seems to me that they would have more leverage in production quantities. In my opinion even if other companies were as or more open-minded than Sony, they might not have the capabilities to offer something like that.