By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony more open-minded about Physical Media than Nintendo and Microsoft?

SpokenTruth said:

1. Imagine the average granny trying to buy a digital voucher for a game for little Johnny.  You really expect that to work as well as a brick and mortar store front?  And you expand the consumer bas by offering both options.  Not removing one.

2. My point is that you are using that patent to prove their next system with no have physical media. 
A. Diskless doesn't mean digital only.  Have you forget about solid state media?
B. The patent notes the use of a diskless system so that the actual intent of the patent can focus on media on the hard drive and the management of the data speed between it and the RAM.  That doesn't mean their next system is diskless.  I've already told you that they do this all the time.  ALL patents do this.  ALL of them write the environment of the patent in a way to draw better focus to the actual content of the patent.  You (and the games media who have never gotten a patent right to begin with) are focusing on that environment portion of the patent and completely ignoring the actual patent itself.

Again, go read it.  And read other Nintendo patents. And Sony, MS, LG, Samsung, etc...

1. I am imagining it, and the average granny will have no issue buying that voucher. You're acting like it'll be some obtuse product. It will be the exact same purchasing process as buying a physical game. You go in the store, see the game on a shelf, pick it up, walk to the clerk, and buy the game. Have you ever purchased a download code before? You're acting like this is black magic. The granny probably won't even realize she bought something different than a physical game. Apple expanded their consumer base by offering only one - digital. Now they are the biggest brand in the world. Nintendo will do the same.

2. I am.

• A. I haven't. I just am not going to entertain a notion as absolutely absurd as a company in 2016 going against all modern practices to produce a unified platform who's primary form of media is cartridges. Diskless does mean digital only, because there is absolutely no benefit to dropping disks for carts, which is why no successful software platform company, in any media across the board, uses them as their primary form of media, let alone physical media.
  • B. Yes, it does. If the patent was meant to include a feature they didn't plan on dropping, they would not have dropped it while explicitely pointing out that they were dropping it. I don't need to read it again. The intents were perfectly clear the first read through.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Here is what Reggie said June 22, 2015.

"I do think that consumers find a sense of security in having the physical thing, and given that, I think the option of the physical thing always needs to be there."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/22/8824789/fils-aime-nintendo-is-always-thinking-games-it-doesnt-sell-tvs-or

He also says in this interview that this sense of security over physical media is unfounded because the worry that a costumer would lose their game because it wasn't physical won't happen. He then says, in the very next sentence after your quote:

"How that manifests itself in our future development we'll see."

I'll give you a little VIP look at "how it manifests itself" in their future developement. The key world is physical thing. Not physical media. Physical thingPhysical thing = NFC cards/coins/figures with download codes for digital games. That's the "we'll see." He wasn't confirming the continue physical media. He was hinting at this. Buy it physically at a store and tap it on your system to download. Keep it in your collection forever. There is your physical thing. Not disks. Not carts. Amiibo. Welcome to the future, today.

Next.

SpokenTruth said:

Apple never had a physical content product to begin with. 

And again, you're focusing on the periphery of the patent rather than the patent.  Want me to show you all the Wii patents that still showed a GC as part of the set up?  Or all the Wii U patents that still showed a GC (yep, GC) as part of the set up?  And so much more.  They (and all companies) do this in their patents.  I keep telling you this and you keep ignoring it.  Go read some patents and learn how they are prepared and published. 

Doesn't matter. Music was a physical content industry until Apple said it wasn't. If Sony did it first and as well, it would have been the same situation.

That's absolutely not the same thing as deliberately patenting a diskless console. It's not using the existing lack of a disk as an example to prove a greater point. The GCN was being used because it already existed for Nintendo and was an easy visual to understand. This patent is literally saying, "this is for a peice of hardware that is deliberately and intentionally lacking a disk drive." U]Learn to understand the difference.

"Let's get physical, physical, I wanna get physical, physical" : Olivia Newton-John

spemanig said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Here is what Reggie said June 22, 2015.

"I do think that consumers find a sense of security in having the physical thing, and given that, I think the option of the physical thing always needs to be there."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/22/8824789/fils-aime-nintendo-is-always-thinking-games-it-doesnt-sell-tvs-or

He also says in this interview that this sense of security over physical media is unfounded because the worry that a costumer would lose their game because it wasn't physical won't happen. He then says, in the very next sentence after your quote:

"How that manifests itself in our future development we'll see."

I'll give you a little VIP look at "how it manifests itself" in their future developement. The key world is physical thing. Not physical media. Physical thingPhysical thing = NFC cards/coins/figures with download codes for digital games. That's the "we'll see." He wasn't confirming the continue physical media. He was hinting at this. Buy it physically at a store and tap it on your system to download. Keep it in your collection forever. There is your physical thing. Not disks. Not carts. Amiibo. Welcome to the future, today.

Next.

Yeah, becuase we all know there's security in disposable scratch off cards with codes on them. 

*facepalm* 

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

And you need to learn that tech companies do this all the time.  They create patents with circumstances that are not always actually part of their market. But I think we're going to end it here.

We're off topic.
You seem to know everything about patent development.
You seem to think every patent published equals full corporate intent.
I'm book marking this for future reference.

Please do.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Yeah, becuase we all know there's security in disposable scratch off cards with codes on them. 

*facepalm*

...Please tell me you're joking with this post.

You don't have the slightest clue how this stuff works, do you?

Well that's one of the good example on how PS can get a lot of support from many developer and publisher without having so much money hating.

Nintendo gives indie devs something they can actually profit off: amiibo.

Samus Aran said:
Nintendo gives indie devs something they can actually profit off: amiibo.

Well that's also a good examples from Nintendo, but bad argument from you because we are discusing a topic about Physical Media.  I hope you can create a new thread out side this thread