By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Single Button Gameplay?

Have you seen the Heavenly Sword gameplay, where she jumps back and forth on ropes, as the enemies cut them? Very impressive looking, but I don't know about the whole, press left, press circle, press square gameplay that's becoming so popular.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1679

God of War did it a ton, and it makes for some pretty fighting and some great looking cinematic sequences, but is it a step in the wrong direction? I think it kinda takes away from the challenge, and it kinda makes things too simple.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:

Have you seen the Heavenly Sword gameplay, where she jumps back and forth on ropes, as the enemies cut them? Very impressive looking, but I don't know about the whole, press left, press circle, press square gameplay that's becoming so popular.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1679

God of War did it a ton, and it makes for some pretty fighting and some great looking cinematic sequences, but is it a step in the wrong direction? I think it kinda takes away from the challenge, and it kinda makes things too simple.

Good point. I've been thinking the same thing lately. RE4 used it a little, too. I don't like it one bit.

I like to be forced to dodge, run, jump, climb, etc. by myself. I don't like the "press this button to proceed" nonsense. If you want me to jump, I'll jump by pressing the regular jump button. Same goes for dodging, climbing, etc. 

Anyone remember the old Dragon's Lair arcade game from the 80s? That style of gameplay sucked then and it still sucks now. It removes most of the challenge of a platforming or adventure game. I like my skills to be tested, not my ability to remember which button is where and hit it once when told to.

Thank God that Nintendo has stayed away from that crap. I like Mario games because they're hard, not because I'm guided through every single piece of the game.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Oh, and on a similar note: Bullet time and slowdown moments in action games need to stop. It's done. Yes, we all know how pretty your new game is and how cool your animations are, developers.

The coolness factor of this in games was born and died with the Max Payne series. It had its 15 minutes. Give it a rest.

I agree with the rest of you about quick time events or whatever they're called. The knife fight in RE4 was one of the few points in the game where I really got annoyed. It was cinematic and all but it would have been even more cinematic had it been like all the other cut scenes (such as when you meet Ada) and then would have also been fun if it was quickly followed with actual gameplay.

their point is not to give compelling gameplay, it is to keep you paying attention during cutscenes and to make u feel like u have more of a part in what is happening during a cutscene.

Around the Network

I don't think it makes things easier necessarily, the fight in RE4 (the knife fight) was actually harder because of the button pressing parts. I like it because it's not really the whole game it's just spread out to change things up and it allows you to do stuff that you wouldn't be able to do normally in the game so it adds to the whole feel of the game. I think it works very well in God of War and RE4 and if they do it well in Heavenly Sword I will enjoy it.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

dannyphantom105 said:
their point is not to give compelling gameplay, it is to keep you paying attention during cutscenes and to make u feel like u have more of a part in what is happening during a cutscene.

I should have said that, I totally agree with what he just said it doesn't take away from the game it lets you have more intereactivity in scenes that normally would be cutscenes.

dannyphantom105 said:

There are plenty of games that use cutscenes without interaction and keep you involved. Gears is a good example.

Developers are so in love with their cutscenes that they forget they detract from gameplay if they drag on. If you can't think of a way to shorten a cutscene and tell more of the story admidst real gameplay, you need to try again. Do it over.

The best immersion is the time spent actually playing a game. Making me punch buttons like a damned monkey during an obnoxiously long cutscene does NOT keep me more involved, it just pisses me off.

rocketpig said:
dannyphantom105 said:

There are plenty of games that use cutscenes without interaction and keep you involved. Gears is a good example.

Developers are so in love with their cutscenes that they forget they detract from gameplay if they drag on. If you can't think of a way to shorten a cutscene and tell more of the story admidst real gameplay, you need to try again. Do it over.

The best immersion is the time spent actually playing a game. Making me punch buttons like a damned monkey during an obnoxiously long cutscene does NOT keep me more involved, it just pisses me off.

Did you know that gears was supposed to have more timed button events a la god of war and RE4? they couldn't finish the stuff by the time they wanted to release. The thing where you tap the x buttong to slow down bleeding or to revive it is the same thing...

ckmlb said:

Did you know that gears was supposed to have more timed button events a la god of war and RE4? they couldn't finish the stuff by the time they wanted to release. The thing where you tap the x buttong to slow down bleeding or to revive it is the same thing...

I don't see how you compare tapping a button to slow bleeding in GoW to hitting a button to dodge in RE4.

They're not even remotely the same thing. One adds a frantic aspect to the game (have you ever been screaming into a mic because you're slowing bleeding to death while pounding down the A button repeatedly?), the other takes something that IMO should be a part of the regular gameplay and converts it into a cutscene. One adds to the gaming immersion, the other takes away.

You may like that style of gameplay; that's cool, to each their own. I personally think it's a cop-out by developers.