By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Single Button Gameplay?

rocketpig said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Have you seen the Heavenly Sword gameplay, where she jumps back and forth on ropes, as the enemies cut them? Very impressive looking, but I don't know about the whole, press left, press circle, press square gameplay that's becoming so popular.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1679

God of War did it a ton, and it makes for some pretty fighting and some great looking cinematic sequences, but is it a step in the wrong direction? I think it kinda takes away from the challenge, and it kinda makes things too simple.

Good point. I've been thinking the same thing lately. RE4 used it a little, too. I don't like it one bit.

I like to be forced to dodge, run, jump, climb, etc. by myself. I don't like the "press this button to proceed" nonsense. If you want me to jump, I'll jump by pressing the regular jump button. Same goes for dodging, climbing, etc.

Anyone remember the old Dragon's Lair arcade game from the 80s? That style of gameplay sucked then and it still sucks now. It removes most of the challenge of a platforming or adventure game. I like my skills to be tested, not my ability to remember which button is where and hit it once when told to.

Thank God that Nintendo has stayed away from that crap. I like Mario games because they're hard, not because I'm guided through every single piece of the game.

Played Twilight Princess? Remember when you have to tame Epona in Kakariko Village?

nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
rocketpig said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Have you seen the Heavenly Sword gameplay, where she jumps back and forth on ropes, as the enemies cut them? Very impressive looking, but I don't know about the whole, press left, press circle, press square gameplay that's becoming so popular.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1679

God of War did it a ton, and it makes for some pretty fighting and some great looking cinematic sequences, but is it a step in the wrong direction? I think it kinda takes away from the challenge, and it kinda makes things too simple.

Good point. I've been thinking the same thing lately. RE4 used it a little, too. I don't like it one bit.

I like to be forced to dodge, run, jump, climb, etc. by myself. I don't like the "press this button to proceed" nonsense. If you want me to jump, I'll jump by pressing the regular jump button. Same goes for dodging, climbing, etc.

Anyone remember the old Dragon's Lair arcade game from the 80s? That style of gameplay sucked then and it still sucks now. It removes most of the challenge of a platforming or adventure game. I like my skills to be tested, not my ability to remember which button is where and hit it once when told to.

Thank God that Nintendo has stayed away from that crap. I like Mario games because they're hard, not because I'm guided through every single piece of the game.

Played Twilight Princess? Remember when you have to tame Epona in Kakariko Village?

nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 

That was one time in the game. It's used throughout the whole game in God of War.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

oh plz people it isn't that bad. i actually enjoyed the those sequences in the God of War games. it was cool to do those things that you couldn't do in normal gameplay.

Well I'm going to have to disagree with most people here.  I like button play when it's used correctly.  I call it qte (quick time events) dubbed by the people who made Shenmue.  Qte was used in Shenmue every once in a while and I loved it. It's one of the reasons I like the game so much, as it was one of the only games that used it at that time.

I really don't think it's a cop-out by developers either.  One of the reasons I think developers use this and one of the reasons I like it so much is because your able to make your character do things you normally can't make them do(fashionably). Of course I understand the annoyance of it being overused as well, but there are some actions that can't be done the same way as qte. Sure you can run, dodge,etc. but if re4 didn't have it, controlling Leon would have felt so robotic.  Qte actually helped him look like the athletic guy they were trying to portray him as.

To go back to my used correctly words before.  In Shenmue there were qte events, but they were not set in stone like re4.  That is, you didn't die if you failed or at least that's how I remember it(been a long time).  If you failed some qte events in Shenmue, of course a different scenario would play out, but it also counted as an alternate path in the game which could lead to different endings(good/bad). That makes qte more essential to the game. I also agree to keep them short like rocketpig said.

Another thing to note is qte used in cutscenes, and it used for actual gameplay.  I guessing people don't like qte in cutscenes, but what about during actual gameplay?  I'm not even sure if it counts as qte during gameplay.  You know like in re4 when you move the stick to break loose or press A repeadetly to swim back to the boat. I see things like that as plus and not a negative.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
I didn't really like the quick time events in Resident Evil 4, it seemed to be an easy way out instead of having actual knife fights, etc, in the game and it also seemed to stop the flow of the game.

So your against it in cutscenes but what about actual gameplay like I mentioned before?

Edit: Actually I kind of disagree with that statement now that I think about it. It was a cutscene, meaning you weren't actually meant to fight him in a knife fight. It wasn't a cop-out, but an add-in as they added in the ability to have some kind of control over a fight that wouldn't work so well with the conventional controls of re4 or would have been able to control in the first place.

Legend11 said:
It sounds much more interesting the way it was used in Shenmue.

It was.

rocketpig said:
ckmlb said:

Did you know that gears was supposed to have more timed button events a la god of war and RE4? they couldn't finish the stuff by the time they wanted to release. The thing where you tap the x buttong to slow down bleeding or to revive it is the same thing...

I don't see how you compare tapping a button to slow bleeding in GoW to hitting a button to dodge in RE4.

They're not even remotely the same thing. One adds a frantic aspect to the game (have you ever been screaming into a mic because you're slowing bleeding to death while pounding down the A button repeatedly?), the other takes something that IMO should be a part of the regular gameplay and converts it into a cutscene. One adds to the gaming immersion, the other takes away.

You may like that style of gameplay; that's cool, to each their own. I personally think it's a cop-out by developers.

Check what Cliffy B said about Gears it was supposed to have a lot more button press timed events and Gears 2 probably will have them since they will have the time to implement them, I was mentioning that the button press stuff that was left from all the other stuff taht was supposed to be there...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

BenKenobi88 said:
I will get there first!

LOL... ok, I'll stop posting for a while ;) Just finished my lunch break at work... so its all yours!

Just make sure you get there before I get home (you have about 6 hours :>)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099