By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Single Button Gameplay?

mancandy said:
I just started playing God of War, and thought it was sort of like Dragon's Lair or Space Ace or Dance Dance (memorizing button presses or dance moves). Works well for Dance Dance since you're using your feet (tests speed, agility, stamina). For Dragon's Lair, they don't even tell which button or direction to press, you have to know from previous experience or use trial and error. God of War tells you what to press, so it tests timing and button recognition. Not really challenging at all. With enough practice, anyone can do it. Not everyone can be skillful at an FPS, a fighter, or even a driving sim. I've seen people try to pass, just pass, a license test in Gran Turismo over and over and never get it. The higher difficulty on Dance Dance usually destroys me, but I see little girls pass it with no problem. I probably shouldn't be holding a beer while playing though. If you want to play a hard game, try the original Ninja Gaiden for the NES. It's available for the VC. I'm playing it now and it's driving me nuts. I've beaten it when it originally came out, but I forgot how frustrating that game was.

Anyone can do it with practice? as opposed to other games where only a master race of few can do the stuff right? every game is just practice and experience to get  better at...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Re: Thread title

Two words: Dragon's Lair

Sounds awfully similar to CD-i but with 3D instead of FMV... 

BenKenobi88 said:
rocketpig said:
ckmlb said:

Did you know that gears was supposed to have more timed button events a la god of war and RE4? they couldn't finish the stuff by the time they wanted to release. The thing where you tap the x buttong to slow down bleeding or to revive it is the same thing...

I don't see how you compare tapping a button to slow bleeding in GoW to hitting a button to dodge in RE4.

They're not even remotely the same thing. One adds a frantic aspect to the game (have you ever been screaming into a mic because you're slowing bleeding to death while pounding down the A button repeatedly?), the other takes something that IMO should be a part of the regular gameplay and converts it into a cutscene. One adds to the gaming immersion, the other takes away.

You may like that style of gameplay; that's cool, to each their own. I personally think it's a cop-out by developers.

Agreed.

I thinkin one way or another we all agree, what ever happen to timing a jump??? or dying over and over gain to make the jump or strategy, I agree as well!!!!(just had to throw my 2 cents in!)

Yeah...like in Heavenly Sword, I'd like to see a little more skill needed in jumping off those ropes...like - ok, press circle to jump or whatever, but then you need to use the joystick to maneuver yourself in mid-air. You might miss the ropes once, and have to try again...that might be better I think, though it certainly rips from the cinematic value.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ckmlb said:
mancandy said:
I just started playing God of War, and thought it was sort of like Dragon's Lair or Space Ace or Dance Dance (memorizing button presses or dance moves). Works well for Dance Dance since you're using your feet (tests speed, agility, stamina). For Dragon's Lair, they don't even tell which button or direction to press, you have to know from previous experience or use trial and error. God of War tells you what to press, so it tests timing and button recognition. Not really challenging at all. With enough practice, anyone can do it. Not everyone can be skillful at an FPS, a fighter, or even a driving sim. I've seen people try to pass, just pass, a license test in Gran Turismo over and over and never get it. The higher difficulty on Dance Dance usually destroys me, but I see little girls pass it with no problem. I probably shouldn't be holding a beer while playing though. If you want to play a hard game, try the original Ninja Gaiden for the NES. It's available for the VC. I'm playing it now and it's driving me nuts. I've beaten it when it originally came out, but I forgot how frustrating that game was.

Anyone can do it with practice? as opposed to other games where only a master race of few can do the stuff right? every game is just practice and experience to get better at...

You're right, every game is just practive and experience. But not everyone can reach the same level.

Why is there always the same guy kicking everyone's ass at Street Fighter 2? You play just as much if not more. He's just naturaly better. My roomie has been trying to beat Mr. Dream in Punch Out for the last 2 weeks. He just can't do it. 

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

I think that they like to design games where the main character is a female to be one handed. I guess they assume that the other hand will be busy doing ... other things.

by other things, I mean eating, of course, what "other things" were you thinking about, you perv?

BenKenobi88 said:
Yeah...like in Heavenly Sword, I'd like to see a little more skill needed in jumping off those ropes...like - ok, press circle to jump or whatever, but then you need to use the joystick to maneuver yourself in mid-air. You might miss the ropes once, and have to try again...that might be better I think, though it certainly rips from the cinematic value.

Take Super Mario Sunshine and the Secret Level where you had to bounce on ropes in the water world to get to the top... Was it frustrating? Hell yes. Did I do it the first time? No.

Would it have been lame if they just had you press the action button to jump to the higher rope? Absolutely. It was more challenging, and therefore more rewarding when I got to the top the first time.

Games are getting too easy.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/