By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon US October monthly bestsellers and general Amazon based discussion

UltimateGamer1982 said:
SWORDF1SH said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Microsoft's problem is halo is too big for their other exclusives to have a big impact at retail. Forza horizon 2 and sunset overdrive last year were very good games but failed to chart in npd while the mcc performed well. 

Now same thing, halo will dominate while Forza 6 and tomb raider are crushed under it's weight. So while Microsoft may have the superior exclusive lineup this holiday, it won't matter much as most ppl will simply ignore the other games for halo 5. Not to mention big third-party titles like COD and fallout 4. 

Square enix probably wishing they never made that deal now. 

Yes I'm sure they are.... they are regreting every wad of MS cash they are stuffing into their vault.

While the money may have been good, I'm sure square enix would rather not have the game bomb at retail and instead grow the fan base and the the franchise to be more profitable in future sequels. 

I'm sure that's better in the long run. 

Exactly. They JUST rebooted this franchise, and they've already dismantled and segregated the fanbase. There was so much drama with this one, that MS isn't going to help bankroll another. Easily one of gaming's most shortsighted deals.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:

I agree, I never get why publishers do these sort of deals. They might be more than compensated in the short run, but in the long run it reduces its fan base when it returns to multi platform, happened to Mass Effect and Bioshock. Metal Gear Solid will never sell well on Xbox etc

But SE knew that they were restricting PS4 sales and will be compensated for those sales. "IF" it bombs on X1 is irrelevant.

Not necessarily, it is a timed exclusive. And when the deal was done it was probably done early in the gen before people realize that PS4 was going to dominate the generation. So it might not have cost MS as much money as you think and Square may feel now that they have not been compensated enough for releasing the game 1 year later on the PS4. I personally think that this game might also do bad on the PS4 too cause the 2016 line up is really good.

RJ_Sizzle said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

While the money may have been good, I'm sure square enix would rather not have the game bomb at retail and instead grow the fan base and the the franchise to be more profitable in future sequels. 

Exactly. They JUST rebooted this franchise, and they've already dismantled and segregated the fanbase. There was so much drama with this one, that MS isn't going to help bankroll another. Easily one of gaming's most shortsighted deals.

A lot of ppl say, oh well Microsoft paid them very well so it doesn't matter. 

But it does matter. Its not about the money they got paid for exclusive rights, that was a one time thing. It's about growing the fan base for your franchise, and thus making profit, building a successful ip. Square invested a lot of money and time into rebooting it, and then ppl say it's irrelevant if it bombs? Seriously? 

I don't get that mentality. Don't get me wrong, the X1 is a fine console, but going up against halo 5, not to mention fallout and COD, and I can't see the game doing too well. At the very least, they should have delayed it till spring or launched it before the big guns come out in a few weeks. 

riecsou said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I agree, I never get why publishers do these sort of deals. They might be more than compensated in the short run, but in the long run it reduces its fan base when it returns to multi platform, happened to Mass Effect and Bioshock. Metal Gear Solid will never sell well on Xbox etc

But SE knew that they were restricting PS4 sales and will be compensated for those sales. "IF" it bombs on X1 is irrelevant.

Not necessarily, it is a timed exclusive. And when the deal was done it was probably done early in the gen before people realize that PS4 was going to dominate the generation. So it might not have cost MS as much money as you think and Square may feel now that they have not been compensated enough for releasing the game 1 year later on the PS4. I personally think that this game might also do bad on the PS4 too cause the 2016 line up is really good.

I hope the game bomb on PS4 too (I personally plan to buy it under $20 with Steam sales). It could give a lesson to developers thinking about screwing their own fanbase for some quick bucks. 

Star Wars up to 14.

Cod into the top 40 now, may soon be above Halo 5 bundle, which would put four PS4 bundles ahead of it.

Around the Network

Destiny PS4 Bundles nearing gone status.

riecsou said:
SWORDF1SH said:

This is true. SE would have projections of how well the PS4 will sell. If they projected less than it's sold then they would of cheated themselves. It depends when the deal was done. 6 months into the generation it was clear the direction the sales were going.

But it's all speculation and I would love to know the amount MS paid for the timed exclusive. I'm guessing around the entire development budget, 20-30M maybe? Anybody have an idea how much?

UltimateGamer1982 said:
SWORDF1SH said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Microsoft's problem is halo is too big for their other exclusives to have a big impact at retail. Forza horizon 2 and sunset overdrive last year were very good games but failed to chart in npd while the mcc performed well. 

Now same thing, halo will dominate while Forza 6 and tomb raider are crushed under it's weight. So while Microsoft may have the superior exclusive lineup this holiday, it won't matter much as most ppl will simply ignore the other games for halo 5. Not to mention big third-party titles like COD and fallout 4. 

Square enix probably wishing they never made that deal now. 

Yes I'm sure they are.... they are regreting every wad of MS cash they are stuffing into their vault.

It just shows what complete bullshit it is when the developers say they want to take the franchise forward and MS/Sony are great partners for helping us achieve our vision. The fact is they are happy to sacrifice the franchise for a short term cash injection. Bloody pathetic. Lets hope it does well enough once it's finally on 3 platforms so that this ill conceived deal doesn't kill the franchise completely.

The Nathan Drake Collection seems to be getting some love. I wonder if it has a shot at getting into the NPD top 10. That would be impressive.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

#14 PS4 Star Wars Bundle
#23 PS4 Destiny Bundle
#28 PS4 TLOUR Bundle
#35 XB1 Halo Bundle
#38 PS4 Black Ops Bundle
#63 PS4 Nathan Drake Bundle
#78 XB1 Gears Bundle
#89 PS4 Fool's Edition
#93 WiiU Deluxe
#98 XB1 Madden Bundle

6 for PS4
3 for XB1
1 for WiiU

Standard Star Wars Bundle on the rise. Now #153

The PS5 Exists. 

Very impressive for ND collection bundle.