By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Sorry State of Microsoft's First Party

Tagged games:

AlfredoTurkey said:

I used the Mario analogy. But here is what IGN said about the game before it came out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/i-played-titanfall-and

"This is Microsoft’s killer app. You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should. Sure, you’d have a good time with it on PC if you’ve got a capable rig, but your couch and the Xbox Live community will be the ecosystem it’s best enjoyed in. It likely won’t decimate Call of Duty’s market share anytime soon – particularly since it’s a platform exclusive – but once Titanfall releases this spring, I guarantee you that word will spread amongst the hardcore CoD community. “Have you seen Titanfall?” they’ll say. And little by little – or maybe in droves, who knows? – they will flock to Titanfall, and they will never go back. Not after this. Titanfall is the next great evolution of the twitch-action first-person shooter. Believe the hype."

No revisionist anything. You're wrong.

Around the Network

LOL, its ridiculous to call Turn 10 Forza slaves the studio is made up by a bunch of car lovers so them making anything besides Forza wouldn't make much sense. No one would call PD, GT slaves. Anyway sticking to what you make best makes sense I'm pretty sure that Bizzarre Creations would still be around if they stuck to making high quality arcade racers like the PGR games.

LOL

A 30 person team that did digital only games goes indie and everyone loses their minds. Meanwhile Sony Online entertainment exodus of 1500 employees and the gutting of Suckerpunch and Evolution is glossed over.

All we know is MS has Forza and Halo this holiday and Sony has nothing...for yet another year.

When did Infamous: Second Son cease to exist? Oh and MLB The Show, for those who like it? What quality new titles have MS' first party studios made up to now on X1 aside from Forza 5 & 6? I can't think of any.

According to TC, Suckerpunch and Sony San Diego are Infamous/MLB slaves. Neither is a new IP and Sony doen't own the latter. Despite the fact people may enjoy them, they don't count. In fact we can also discount Uncharted/TLoU, Killzone : SF, any god of war or Gran Turismo that may be announced, the last guardian (it's Ico 3) Gravity Rush 2 since they aren't new IP. Anything built for a VR headset like SCE Cambridge or SCE Londons game or Northwest Studios gam also doesn't count.

Since it's first party only we can't count games developed by non-owned entities, so The Order, Bloodborne, Until Dawn don't count.

So.

Sonys output thus far is

Driveclub - Killed the Studio

Knack

That's it.

Maybe looking ahead, you have a whopping 3 more in Dreams, Horizon and SCE Bends game, but little else.

Sorry, TC's rules.

MS probably expected more third parties and big names like Halo to carry them, (typically the reason for bad 1st party) but it looks like Xbox One is in for a bitch of a drought next year.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

sasquatchmontana said:

LOL

A 30 person team that did digital only games goes indie and everyone loses their minds. Meanwhile Sony Online entertainment exodus of 1500 employees and the gutting of Suckerpunch and Evolution is glossed over.

All we know is MS has Forza and Halo this holiday and Sony has nothing...for yet another year.

There goes that "blanket" statement...again lol. So if you are saying that then you MUST have also said that MS had nothing for the first 9 months as well right?

On Topic:

I have never beena huge fan of MS first perty games anyway so I have not been paying a lot of attention to them. I do know that they have quite a few games that I am really looking forward to when they come out. And others that I can't wait to get my hands on when I do get an XB1!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

I used the Mario analogy. But here is what IGN said about the game before it came out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/i-played-titanfall-and

"This is Microsoft’s killer app. You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should. Sure, you’d have a good time with it on PC if you’ve got a capable rig, but your couch and the Xbox Live community will be the ecosystem it’s best enjoyed in. It likely won’t decimate Call of Duty’s market share anytime soon – particularly since it’s a platform exclusive – but once Titanfall releases this spring, I guarantee you that word will spread amongst the hardcore CoD community. “Have you seen Titanfall?” they’ll say. And little by little – or maybe in droves, who knows? – they will flock to Titanfall, and they will never go back. Not after this. Titanfall is the next great evolution of the twitch-action first-person shooter. Believe the hype."

No revisionist anything. You're wrong.

LOL.. you used the Mario analogy. Yet you claimed it was hyped as such. I don't think you could have proven my point any better than that right there. Thanks.

Also, I am well aware there were some lofty comments and praise bestowed upon the game before release. However, I am struggling to understand how that relates to Microsoft expecting it to be their "next Halo", or how some random IGN guys comments would make the games sales seem like a failure to EA.

Of course, you're claiming Microsoft expected it to be the next Halo, yet were waiting until AFTER it was supposed to blow up before securing the IP. So most of this logic I am reading is not based in reality.

I think you're over reacting. Their 1st party studios are just fine and you dont know if they have another ip in development. They are better now that Phil is in charge.

TheSting said:
Is Scalebound and Quantum Break MS IP? Been reading about Scalebound and it seems like a Platinum IP

Well, Remedy Entertainment and Platinum Games are making games for the Xbox One, but they are not part of Microsoft main branch of developers, such as LionsGate and 343 industries. As such Sting-San, cases like this are exclusives, but are made from independent developers. As such, this would be considered a game made by a second party developer. Hope this helps!

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Wat? nintendo and sony first party are slightly better? where do you live xD Nintendo>Sony>>>>>>>Microsoft, i'm sorry but micro is mostly shooters nothing special

TheBlackNaruto said:

There goes that "blanket" statement...again lol. So if you are saying that then you MUST have also said that MS had nothing for the first 9 months as well right?

Actually, i'm pretty sure that was said for the first 9 months, i mean if Ori, State of Decay, Screamride don't count and considered a bare lineup...... if that's the way you want to play it, that's fine, but don't complain because the PS4 is in the same situation during the holidays with a half done collection and a late MOVE game. We all saw this coming.

I think other dude was right, as long as MS keep up funding games like Scalebound, Crackdown, Sunset, Ryse, Quantum Break, RE-Core, Phantom Dust, MS can, should and BE DEMANDED to keep that Minecraft/Gears/Forza/Halo cashcow running (and explore other genres like Horizon and Halo Wars and Holobuilder)

The middling guys like Rare and Lionhead can experiment until they find their cashcows, at which point they can be expoited on a bi-yearly (and later yearly basis when they move the spin-offs to external studios)

Then you can complain that "It's just another Halo/Forza/LionheadIP/RAREIP/Gears/Crackdown/Quantumbreak" holiday instead of the barren wasteland of PS4. That's so much better MI rite?

Worried?

Only about the amount of FIRST PARTY MS PUBLISHED GAMES I'LL NEED TO BUY OVER THE NEXT 18 MONTHS

Infact, forget anymore new ip. I'd take sequels of all of the above until 2021....anything over a barren holiday lineup.