By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Sorry State of Microsoft's First Party

Tagged games:

AlfredoTurkey said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
While not a MS IP, I think Titanfall not doing well took MS by surprise. That game was suppose to be the new Halo for them, and it sort of flopped. I really don't think they intended to have to find another game like that.

Titanfall was supposed to be the next Halo for them, when it was not developed or published by them and was not exclusive to their platform? I think that's the best oversell on the importance of Titanfall I have ever seen on Chartz, which is saying something.

Also, the game sold millions and was a success according to EA. How much did it need to sell to not be a flop? Just curious. Did every Xbone owner need to buy it? lol.

That game was suppose to be the next big FPS. It was hyped as a game that was going to do for FPS what Mario did for platforming. It was suppose to redefine everything we know about the genre. 

In the end, it didn't do anything. 

It is a big FPS. It sold millions on limited platforms.

Please find me quotes from journalists predicting it to be the Mario of platforming. LOL, the revisionist history is real.

Around the Network
Bryank75 said:
What I realised long ago was that Microsoft do not want studios, the donn't actually want 1st parties at all. They want to attract people to their console and then try to keep them there paying subs and getting royalties.

That is why the core titles for xbox are only Halo, Gears and Forza. The rest are disposable for them and would not be made if they didn't need to. Microsoft were always very cynical in terms of business ethics.
They have very little stake in game development and are not here "for the gamers", they are here for the money. Nothing more.

I dont want to offend anyone, this is simply my honest opinion on them as a past customer (gen 7).

Microsoft is a business. Yes, they are in it for the money. Just like Sony and Nintendo. It's hilarious how quickly people forget what Sony tried with the PS3, lol.

The funniest part about the post is the part about subs and core games, as if the other two companies don't do the same thing.

iceland said:
TheSting said:
Is Scalebound and Quantum Break MS IP? Been reading about Scalebound and it seems like a Platinum IP

I'm just talking about their studios. I think they own the IPs though, not 100% sure.

Hey I'll insert my opinion about the OP some time in the future but I was caught off guard by your profile picture. 

HOW AMAZING IS THE NEW CHVRCHES ALBUM

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

what ever happened to those 5 new AAA studios? black tusk became a gears slave, MS victoria closed down without even announcing anything. what about the supposedly other 3 studios?

MS's first party isnt all that. its easily the worst when it comes to the big three. they have the halo machine and the forza machine. they turned black tusk into the gears machine. rare is former shell of itself and SoT seems mediocre at best. then you have lionhead. which are a fable machine. they are said to be working on a new IP. but given the quality and the direction fable legends went, i doubt it will be an AAA game. most likely another F2P game on XB1 and PC.

Second and third parties are covering the slack for MS this gen, like the one before it and the one before it. next year the only notable first party game is gears.

OP, I am wondering what scores you'd give Nintendo and Sony first party? Just for comparisons sake.

Nintendo has put out some gems this gen but also some big duds, which is much worse than MicroSony putting out a dud because the Wii U gets very poor third party support. So each bad/average game is a much bigger blow.

We're pretty much two years into the gen and all Sony first party has to show is Driveclub, which was a gorgeous game but otherwise pretty average. I mean, what does one decent game score you? I guess the bulk of the score here would depend on your opinion of unreleased games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon, because it surely can't be good based on the current output.

In comparisons sake I think the state of MS first party is actually quite good. I mean hell, at least they've released multiple titles of quality.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Bryank75 said:
What I realised long ago was that Microsoft do not want studios, the donn't actually want 1st parties at all. They want to attract people to their console and then try to keep them there paying subs and getting royalties.

That is why the core titles for xbox are only Halo, Gears and Forza. The rest are disposable for them and would not be made if they didn't need to. Microsoft were always very cynical in terms of business ethics.
They have very little stake in game development and are not here "for the gamers", they are here for the money. Nothing more.

I dont want to offend anyone, this is simply my honest opinion on them as a past customer (gen 7).

Microsoft is a business. Yes, they are in it for the money. Just like Sony and Nintendo. It's hilarious how quickly people forget what Sony tried with the PS3, lol.

The funniest part about the post is the part about subs and core games, as if the other two companies don't do the same thing.

They are businesses but they are not all black or all white. But I would say that MS are the darkest shade of grey on the palette.

They led the way in terms of subscriptions, moneyhatting games and DLC along with marketing.... this obviously wouldn't go unanswered by the competition and the problem for MS is the dreadfully underestimated their competition.

Playstation division proved during the PS2 era that the games will be made and they will cater to as many tastes as possible. 

bananaking21 said:
what ever happened to those 5 new AAA studios? black tusk became a gears slave, MS victoria closed down without even announcing anything. what about the supposedly other 3 studios?

MS's first party isnt all that. its easily the worst when it comes to the big three. they have the halo machine and the forza machine. they turned black tusk into the gears machine. rare is former shell of itself and SoT seems mediocre at best. then you have lionhead. which are a fable machine. they are said to be working on a new IP. but given the quality and the direction fable legends went, i doubt it will be an AAA game. most likely another F2P game on XB1 and PC.

Second and third parties are covering the slack for MS this gen, like the one before it and the one before it. next year the only notable first party game is gears.

Rare is for me one of the sadest things to happen to a game studio. Loved their old games.

LudicrousSpeed said:
OP, I am wondering what scores you'd give Nintendo and Sony first party? Just for comparisons sake.

Nintendo has put out some gems this gen but also some big duds, which is much worse than MicroSony putting out a dud because the Wii U gets very poor third party support. So each bad/average game is a much bigger blow.

We're pretty much two years into the gen and all Sony first party has to show is Driveclub, which was a gorgeous game but otherwise pretty average. I mean, what does one decent game score you? I guess the bulk of the score here would depend on your opinion of unreleased games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon, because it surely can't be good based on the current output.

In comparisons sake I think the state of MS first party is actually quite good. I mean hell, at least they've released multiple titles of quality.

When did Infamous: Second Son cease to exist? Oh and MLB The Show, for those who like it? What quality new titles have MS' first party studios made up to now on X1 aside from Forza 5 & 6? I can't think of any.

Sonys first party studios were mismanaged and thus a lot of them are way behind on PS4 development but at the end of the day they at least exist and most if not all of them are working on PS4 titles, a lot on new IPs.

DerNebel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

When did Infamous: Second Son cease to exist? Oh and MLB The Show, for those who like it? What quality new titles have MS' first party studios made up to now on X1 aside from Forza 5 & 6? I can't think of any.

Sonys first party studios were mismanaged and thus a lot of them are way behind on PS4 development but at the end of the day they at least exist and most if not all of them are working on PS4 titles, a lot on new IPs.

Yeah, I remember that drought at the end of the 360 lifespan. There was just Minecraft in the charts for weeks and weeks. It was literally a blank slate.

I think their output this gen has been good, like Sony and Nintendo.