By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Jumpin said:
If you like Nintendo games, but want the power so that you can play PS4 games, why not just pay the extra amount and get a PS4 as well? If you don't want to play PS4 games, then why does Nintendo's hardware have to be just like PS4?

Good point, but that would mean paying for another console plus its fees if you want PS+ and multiplayer. A customer wants to get the most use out of their purchase. And having to buy another product to fill that need just shows the limitations of that device.

I personally don't mind low power (hell, if that allows the Fusion idea, go ahead). But if there's a chance for Nintendo to get 3rd parties, they should go for it. If they know that's just not possible, then save costs and make a system taylored to 1st party needs.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Just for me personally, ignoring market/console wars pissing matches ... I would be OK with something double the Wii U for Nintendo games.

Wii U is estimated at 350 GFLOPS, so 700 GFLOPS with 3-4GB of RAM for games would be OK. Nintendo games already look pretty nice on the Wii U, going double I would assume would allow for a lot more 1080P games with cleaner image quality or the same image quality but graphics that are a nice step beyond Wii U. Given Nintendo's more cartoony graphical style, a little can go a long way.

Of course I'd gladly pay for like a 3 TFLOP Nintendo machine with 12GB of HBM2 RAM and all that jazz, but they likely will never make anything like that so why bother thinking about it.

It only needs these requirements
-Good online service
-HDD
-X86 architecture
-at least 6GB of Ram

sidmeiernintifan said:
I think there will be a handheld NX weaker than the PS4, Obviously, with a resolution of 540p like the vita, and a home console NX slightly more powerful than the PS4 with an 1080p resolution.
both will have the same Nintendo games.

No. This will not happen. Not how you imagine it.

bonzobanana said:
Despite all the fanboy nonsense on this site the wii u clearly is weaker than 360 and PS3 in many important parts of its specification, we know that for a fact beyond question with regard the cpu and memory bandwidth and you only have to look at the games to confirm this.

You are right, the Wii U does loose miserably in the memory bandwidth department.
But it also doesn't need the bandwidth as badly either. Curious?

It comes down to culling and compression. Because the WiiU has more modern hardware it supports more modern standards and techniques thank to it's Terascale derived graphics hardware.
Basically it can more efficiently remove stuff that simply doesn't need to be rendered, reducing the workload.
It also supports more modern compression techniques which covers a larger variety of datasets, which means less bandwidth is going to be needed.

As an example... Lets take the Radeon 285... Despite the fact it only has 176Gb/s of bandwidth compared to the Radeon 280 240Gb's of memory bandwidth... The Radeon 285 can make better use of it's more limited resources.... Essentially despite the chips having similar technical hardware, with the exception of bandwidth, the 285 isn't as slow as one would assume, in some cases actually faster.
See here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8460/amd-radeon-r9-285-review/7
Brute force, aka. "Numbers written on a spreadsheet" isn't the only way to achieve performance.

Another example is... From the Radeon x1900 series (Which the Xbox 360's GPU is essentially derived from...) to the Radeon x2xxx series (Which the Xbox 360 adopted SOME features of...) AMD boosted Z/stencil compression from an 8:1 ratio to 16:1 and then implemented Re-Z which allowed pixels that are updated and ended up out of view to be thrown out rather than sending them to the render back ends for evaluation, costing bandwidth and rendering power.

As for the CPU. Well. The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3's CPU's were to be blunt... Utter trash. They are in-order designs, similar to that of the Intel Atom architecture, which can carry a rather large performance penalty if things don't go the CPU's way. - The benefit though is a cheaper CPU design that potentially uses less power.
Intel tried to mitigate that problem with the original Atom processor with Hyper Threading, which Microsoft also used for the Xbox 360's CPU.
Sony went the other way and threw more "dumb" cores at the problem.
Both mitigate the problem, rather than solve it.

The Wii U's CPU is an out-of-order design, it's more efficient. You just can't compare them clock to clock with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 unfortunatly... And I am not aware of any benchmarks either.
With that said, no console ever released has had good CPU performance, even the Playstation 3's Cell CPU, despite it "looking" impressive on paper, was actually a massive let down thanks to it's poor performance in anything but iterative refinement floating point.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2493/7
The current gen with the 8-core 1.6ghz Jaguars are laughable in almost all aspects.

Nintendo does have options though that wasn't available to Microsoft or Sony thanks to progress... Which is Carizzo. Significantly more performance than Jaguar, whilst using less power and using less transisters... We still aren't talking Desktop-class though.

On the GPU side, things have been stagnant, at-least in the mid range, AMD has been lazy and re-badged everything since the Radeon 7000 series released 4 years ago with only minor changes. (And newer high-end offerings.)

The Wii U although on paper... Doesn't look like an impressive leap over the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3... It is, by a small degree.
Even if the WiiU had less "Gflop" and "Bandwidth" and "Rams" than the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, it would still be faster by a small degree.

It's more efficient, it can do more work with less resources than the older boxes. With that said, I would still only peg it's hardware to be around 2x as capable but with a massive edge in geometry performance.
The big problem for the WiiU is support. Most developers don't see a financial incentive to push the box, most game engines are "ported" rather than "built" for the machine which will also impact it's potential. (I'm looking at you Unreal Engine that almost every developer uses at one point or another.)

It's still not enough to close the gap between the Xbox One and Playstation 4 though, they unfortunatly have another leap in graphics capability not only on a technical level, but in sheer database numbers too.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Dusk said:
illdill1987 said:

If the NX is indeed Nintendos next home console will you buy it if it is not substantially more powerful than the ps4?... I don't think I will I think I will be done with gaming.

So what is your reasoning for being done with gaming? I must know :P

I can't really call myself a gamer I only play and enjoy Nintendo games. And if Nintendo continues to make consoles without significantly increasing the power, I feel like I am just paying a bunch of money for a new controller. And I am not going to continue to support a  company like that. They need to progress. I am not going to continue to fund their bad decisions.

It will be powerful enough to show the interaction between the hardware line-up. Games will look very good.
I also think they will use more "mobile" chips and on the shelf components, so it could perform powerwise like a PS4 but focusing on other features.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

illdill1987 said:
Dusk said:

So what is your reasoning for being done with gaming? I must know :P

I can't really call myself a gamer I only play and enjoy Nintendo games. And if Nintendo continues to make consoles without significantly increasing the power, I feel like I am just paying a bunch of money for a new controller. And I am not going to continue to support a  company like that. They need to progress. I am not going to continue to fund their bad decisions.

U do realize Wii U was a massive leap one Wii, right?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
AZWification said:

Am I having high expectations by saying that I want the NX to be stronger than the XB1? I hope not.

Only certain thing is that NX will be stronger than Wii U. :)

Thank God! I'm going to sleep very well knowing that.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

zorg1000 said:
illdill1987 said:

U do realize Wii U was a massive leap one Wii, right?

A massive leap over a system with 10 year old technology... Not impressive its still a massive step behind where it should be.