By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top Nintendo Creator: Link Should Be Played By a Woman in a Zelda Movie

Should Link be portrayed by a woman?

That would be ok 24 18.75%

Definitely not 56 43.75%

50 Shades of I Don't Give a Fuck 19 14.84%

I just don't want a Zeld... 29 22.66%

Total:128
ArchangelMadzz said:
A live action male link would look fucking weird.
I'm all for this.

Except that Link is a BOY... not a man. Think The Neverending Story. It would work fine.

Around the Network

I don't care, but at the same time I think it should likely be a teen.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Hey, why not? Peter Pan has been played by a woman in several live action adaptations, and Link does scream like a girl anytime he falls or gets hit.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

If Nintendo had any freaking damn common sense they would be taking a Zelda film series a helluva lot more seriously.

With the Lord of the Rings series over and Harry Potter semi-retired, there's a huge opportunity for a Zelda film series to take off like wild fire if done correctly but they'll probably fuck it up.

Marvel learned a very valuable lesson in taking their comic book franchises seriously in film form and it paid off for them big time.

Soundwave said:

If Nintendo had any freaking damn common sense they would be taking a Zelda film series a helluva lot more seriously.

With the Lord of the Rings series over and Harry Potter semi-retired, there's a huge opportunity for a Zelda film series to take off like wild fire if done correctly but they'll probably fuck it up.

Marvel learned a very valuable lesson in taking their comic book franchises seriously in film form and it paid off for them big time.

Except that those 2 franchises are based on books with good stories.

Around the Network

We have od Soviet movie Booratino (its Russian version of Pinnokio). And the main character was also played by a girl. And it fit perfectly. Much better actor play and mimics then the boys at same age.

It seems like one feature length film (not Zelda or Mario) is almost done and it seems it's probably Pikmin.

I watched those Pikmin short movies and they are pretty good.

I can agree that having a male portray Link, even though he is male, could be difficult. A boyish female like they say or maybe a teen boy could work better.

I am however, afraid that a live action movie would turn out extremely corny. I'm not sure I want it to happen. In the perfect world though, it would be Lord of the Rings level.

A live action Mario movie however is impossible to not be dumb in whatever world. If that were to be made, it must be animated. Link could look different because the games themselves have a variety of styles and looks. Mario and Luigi are so recognizable in such a cartoony world that it would be impossible to find actors or create a world even remotely similar in look and feel.

I'd rather have a well-done animated movie, y'know by someone like Pixar or Studio Ghibli.

Still, so long as the live action movie is good and the actress can really sell herself as Link I'd be okay with it. Still, finding the correct actress would be crucial.

Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:

Except that those 2 franchises are based on books with good stories.

From the Zelda Wikia, Ocarina of Time:

During the events of a massive conflict known as the Hyrulean Civil War, a woman escaped the ravages of war with her child. The woman was gravely injured, but managed to reach Kokiri Forest, a sanctuary that deters all outsiders. Before passing away, she left the child in the care of the Great Deku Tree. The boy was to be raised as a Kokiri, and would remain unaware of his destiny, until one day, when the Gerudo King of Thieves appeared in the forest and demanded a Spiritual Stone from the Great Deku Tree. The mighty guardian tree refused to give it to him, sensing his evil intentions, and in return had a death curse put on him.

The Great Deku Tree entreats Navi, a young fairy of Kokiri Forest, to take the boy, known as Link, to the Great Deku Tree. After obtaining a sword and shield, he approaches the Deku Tree. The tree tells Link of the curse on him, and the brave youth enters the Deku Tree to break the evil curse. Link successfully defeats the enemies inside, but the Deku Tree reveals that it was already too late for him even before he entered. In his last moments of life, he tells Link of the creation of Hyrule and the Triforce that Ganondorf desires. He reveals that it is Link's destiny to thwart the great evil and restore peace to Hyrule, and gives him the Spiritual Stone of the Forest, one of the three keys to unlocking the gates to the Sacred Realm, where the Triforce is kept. He is to seek out Zelda, the Princess of Hyrule. The Great Deku Tree, his purpose now fulfilled, withers and dies.

Sounds like a pretty awesome first act of a movie if you ask me. 

There's potential there, but they will probably screw it up. I think secretly in a way Mr. Miyamoto does not want things like the Nintendo movies/TV shows to get too popular because then it could eclipse the games and that would probably not sit very well with him.