By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo VS Sony - Rest of 2015 [8 weeks of data]

Handhelds and home consoles really shouldn't be grouped together.

Around the Network

Here I'll help.

Hardware numbers for 2015 (current gen)

Nintendo: 5.4m
Sony: 8.1m

Software Numbers for 2015 (current gen)

Nintendo: 28m
Sony: 43m

Doesn't this feel so much better and easier. Saves the trouble of picking all those cherries.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Intrinsic said:
Neodegenerate said:

I don't recall needing the TV for the Wii U setup, though it has been a while.  I do remember needing the gamepad though.  Also, I can power the Wii U via a charged battery power strip without having it in a wall.  Inconvenient sure, but I can effectively play the Wii U without it being plugged into a wall and without a TV if I so choose, turning it into a "handheld" console.  Yet, it is considered a console as it should be.

I am in the "handhelds are consoles" camp as they are dedicated video game devices that require a video display.  The fact that the video display is built in shouldn't be held against the device since the underlying point of the device is to play video games.

People who use the "smart phones and ipads are the same thing" argument miss the fact that the phone and the ipad and even the computer were not created as a device to play video games.  These are multifunctional devices that exist in their own categories as they should.

The handheld vs home console thing to me plays out the same way as nascar vs plays out.  Some say because nascar is usually called a "spectator sport" it isn't a "real" sport, just like a "handheld" console isn't a "real" console.  If you need a prefix you aren't actually disqualifying the item from what it is, you are simply giving additional meaning to it.

Ok you make a sound case. And I'll concede defeat. Yes handheld consoles are consoles. Just a different type of console. I think that difference is a very big one though, and is solely responsible for why its generalized classification is so conflicting. I do not think its right to group "home" consoles and "portable/handheld" consoles together. In the same way I don't think its right to group desktop and laptops together even if they are both PCs.

They cater to different markets, different usage scenarios.....etc. And making a thread directly comparing both of them as if they were all the same thing is misleading. simple fix, compare the WiiU to the PS4 and the 3DS to the Vita. home consoles have far too little in common with handheld consoles to all be grouped in the same boat.

Funny thing is that a portable console has more in common with a smartphone than it does with a home console. And I was about to dismiss everything you said when u started by saying you don't recall needing a TV for the initial setup of a WiiU. But you went on to make a valid point, so here I am.

The bolded part I agree with completely.  A venn diagram will show some overlap between home and handheld console, but for the most part they exist to serve two different groups of people who are after the same thing via separate experiences.

The handheld having more in common with the smartphone has more to do with the same overlap effect.  Before phones were "smart" they existed as dedicated communication devices.  Before they connected to the internet, video game consoles of all varieties (handheld and home) existed solely as dedicated video game devices.  With the fact that we have apps on phones that are games, and apps on consoles that are communication/entertainment, we are entering a period of grey area in what a consumer needs to fulfill their desires on all fronts.

Hell, at this point with skype and all of that I could probably stay in touch with everyone I know via my XB1 while gaming exclusively on my ipad.

Fun Fact!

If OP named the first diagram "hardware" instead of "consoles", this thread would have less than half replies.

OP sure knows how to draw a crowd.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Nintendo's 8th gen console has not been released yet.

It already has a name and games in development. It will be called Nintendo NX and lets hope its on pair with the PS4.

With that being said. This is not a fair comparison, the PS4 will receive around 10 times more games than the WiiU in the coming months.

Around the Network
zippy said:
Whilst most think Nintendo are failing, truth is they are pretty neck and neck with Sony when you see this.

The thing is Nintendo is failing at home console and Sony is failing at handheld. Between the two of them (PS4/3DS) you have a solid setup.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

vivster said:

Here I'll help.

Doesn't this feel so much better and easier. Saves the trouble of picking all those cherries.

Much better! Looking by this, I can say that's not a big difference even if we complete ignore the Wii U problems, the PS4 praise, the distribution around the world and the handheld situation nowadays

BTW, I noticed that you exclude TVs and Smartphones on your post. Did you make that list to make Nintendo look not that bad?

We reap what we sow

I'm pretty sure I would define a handheld as a video game console.

That said, I find this thread heavily biased against Sony for a few reasons:

1) it does not count last gen. Just because Nintendo has given up support for the wii does not mean Sony has given up support for the PS3. 7th gen is not dead yet until a full transition has been made and when support runs low. Without PS3, this thread is basically Nintendo at 100% vs Sony at 80%.

2) there should be a bar for third party acquisitions or partnerships. A large amount of sony's money goes toward making these deals. Black ops 3 marketing rights don't come by themselves. No, Sony didn't make the game, but they did spend a heck of a lot more than Nintendo doing this, so excluding this info just makes Sony look "weaker"

3) handhelds and consoles should have their own graphs. They are both completely different animals with different pricing, relevance, games, and market. Once again, fusing both of them only makes Nintendo look better by having the 3ds as a buffer. In other words, unless we count 1 ps4 as equal to 2 3ds (that makes sense looking at pricing), we need seperate charts for this

Wow this thread went downhill fast.

OT:

I will give Hardware to Sony and Software to NIN for the last 5 months of the year......even though that in itself is weird....to pick just the last 5months of the year.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

vivster said:

Here I'll help.

Damn! And people want Nintendo to keep suffering another year from these pitiful sales?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile