By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs PS4: Spencer Hates the Console War

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Protendo said:
There are so many Phil said this threads...that it's hard to tell if your in the right one.

Can we get a Phil said master thread, combining all of what Phil said in one place so it doesn't clutter up the forums. Let's keep things organized! It'd make it easy to see everything Phil has said recently.

LOL I was going to post that we need a Phil Said Thread since people love discussing it but wasn't sure if it would be taken ok.

For some, Phil is the new Pachter, he's also the only big wig, really saying alot at the moment, or at least saying things covered by garme jurnalism. Honestly, idk I didn't watch TGS hell I haven't even watched E3 yet.

But seriously, level with me here. Do you honestly take this guy seriously and if so why? To me, I'm completely ignorant of his past, and I wouldn't give it any merit anyway. I've only concerned myself with him as the head of Xbox and see him as an executive first and foremost, and every single thing I hear him say is just marketing. I've heard he is a gamer, but as of late I haven't heard him talk about games or gaming on the XB1, just meaningless things like "oh we've got great games coming..." which is just advertising at this point.

He comes across as more of a gamer than any other executive who I see in the news a lot. I am sure Miyamoto is some sort of executive at Nintendo, and I am sure Sony has some hardcore gamer executive hidden away somewhere in one of their buildings, but they don't talk much. Phil is asked questions and gives honest answers when possible, and PR bullshit when applicable, as all executives do. Why wouldn't I take him seriously? The only person I have never taken seriously was Kenny K and his constant nonsense.

And he discusses games all the time. Check him out on twitter sometime. I'm still laughing at people writing this off as results of 2nd place. Not only has he said this before, but what do sales matter anyway? He's talking about console war bullshit. 360 did amazing last gen and there was still plenty of console war bullshit. Wii won last generation sales wise, was it free from console war bullshit? I don't think so. Here is the full interview by the way if anyone is interested, I'm out, I am exceeding my allowed one post in an Xboss thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-interview-phil-spencer-on-halo-the-future-of-/1100-6430815/

Around the Network

Everyone should hate the console war, is so dumb

LudicrousSpeed said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Protendo said:
There are so many Phil said this threads...that it's hard to tell if your in the right one.

Can we get a Phil said master thread, combining all of what Phil said in one place so it doesn't clutter up the forums. Let's keep things organized! It'd make it easy to see everything Phil has said recently.

LOL I was going to post that we need a Phil Said Thread since people love discussing it but wasn't sure if it would be taken ok.

For some, Phil is the new Pachter, he's also the only big wig, really saying alot at the moment, or at least saying things covered by garme jurnalism. Honestly, idk I didn't watch TGS hell I haven't even watched E3 yet.

But seriously, level with me here. Do you honestly take this guy seriously and if so why? To me, I'm completely ignorant of his past, and I wouldn't give it any merit anyway. I've only concerned myself with him as the head of Xbox and see him as an executive first and foremost, and every single thing I hear him say is just marketing. I've heard he is a gamer, but as of late I haven't heard him talk about games or gaming on the XB1, just meaningless things like "oh we've got great games coming..." which is just advertising at this point.

He comes across as more of a gamer than any other executive who I see in the news a lot. I am sure Miyamoto is some sort of executive at Nintendo, and I am sure Sony has some hardcore gamer executive hidden away somewhere in one of their buildings, but they don't talk much. Phil is asked questions and gives honest answers when possible, and PR bullshit when applicable, as all executives do. Why wouldn't I take him seriously? The only person I have never taken seriously was Kenny K and his constant nonsense.

And he discusses games all the time. Check him out on twitter sometime. I'm still laughing at people writing this off as results of 2nd place. Not only has he said this before, but what do sales matter anyway? He's talking about console war bullshit. 360 did amazing last gen and there was still plenty of console war bullshit. Wii won last generation sales wise, was it free from console war bullshit? I don't think so. Here is the full interview by the way if anyone is interested, I'm out, I am exceeding my allowed one post in an Xboss thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-interview-phil-spencer-on-halo-the-future-of-/1100-6430815/

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I'm sure most people working for video game console companies don't like console wars either... though they need a fanbase in order for people to support their consoles so..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

think-man said:
Thats cause xbox is losing.

Pretty much.

Around the Network

Meh, he's not fun at all.

Console wars is EVERYTHING, remember :

Or :the commercial for the Nintendo 64.

I don't even need to talk about last gen.

This guy is just trying to be nice to everyone when he's dominated, he's not funny.

$100 says he wouldn't be making that comment if XB1 was where the PS4 is on the market right now.

And as for the console war, if he hates it soooooo much, then he should do the right thing. Release all Xbox games across all platforms. Its the mother of all double standards to push platform exclusivity then bitch about people finding reasons to justify one platform over the other.

Intrinsic said:
$100 says he wouldn't be making that comment if XB1 was where the PS4 is on the market right now.

And as for the console war, if he hates it soooooo much, then he should do the right thing. Release all Xbox games across all platforms. Its the mother of all double standards to push platform exclusivity then bitch about people finding reasons to justify one platform over the other.

Exactly, it's just a PR game.

"we're for the gamers" = just xbox gamers
"I hope VR isn't the future of gaming" = because we don't have a vr headset yet
"I hate the console war" = because we aren't winning it

Do you think he would be "we're for the gamers" if they didn't have an image to try and restore?
Do you think he would say "I hope VR isn't the future of gaming" if Microsoft had a VR headset?
Do you think he would say "I hate the console war" if the Xbox and PS4 were switched in terms of sales?

I don't.

it's all clear as day when you step back and look at it. He represents an image of what he believes Microsoft needs to be to win back the support of games and developers, right down to choosing to wear gaming related tshirts under his suit jackets virtually every damn time he steps in front of a camera, he makes grand statements appealing to gamers to put asside their differences while working towards platform exclusivity and the @ID program, to add insult to injury takes pot shots at elements of the competition.
SE offer to bring a game to XB but want it to be cross platform play, MS say no, they don't get the game, instead of let that fact be known (which it already is regardless) he jumps in and uses said game as provide indicating Sony being a toxic influence to the industry by buying games and now allowing gamers on other systems to enjoy it...  but remember, buy tomb raider this holiday folks, we spent a lot on the year long exclusivity deal.

it's all PR and the sooner people realize/accept it the better.

Only because he is losing so bad.

And besides his sore grapes comments, we have the perfum and star wars stealth troll ads (with a jab at sony as well)...

He sure is making himself look bad to people looking.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:

Well he said the smae thing in 2014 when the gap was only around 2 million.