By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs PS4: Spencer Hates the Console War

SWORDF1SH said:

I'm sorry but Phil is saying stuff to put MS in a good light and not what he actually believes.

MS can't get 3rd party exclusives without spending a fortune that probably won't pay off - Phil: "I don't like exclusive deals, they are bad"

MS doesn't have anything to counter PSVR in the near future, and he turns it into "VR will turn everybody into secluded hermits" when VR is just about a different way to play games.

MS are losing console wars "console wars are bad, companies shouldn't invest into 3rd party deals because we don't do it anymore (don't have marketshare to make it work)... except for Tomb Raider. But after that we will do no more (we can't afford to)"

You can bet your bottom dollar that he wouldn't say any of this, if the stuff that he "hates" were working in his favour.

Exactly.  All we have to do is look at last gen to show how well MS can beat the drums of war.  And how much they love the war.  They're just losing greatly this gen, so feel they must talk like they are humble, now, even though some of those statements are really just ways to swing at Sony while attempting to look "nice."

Around the Network

Funny how the Microsoft side last gen was the complete opposite with throwing every npd victory in Sony fans faces, as well as comparison videos of ps3 games performing worse than most 360 versions.

But now that they're losing so badly, it's play the victim time.

Phil and all his followers are just salty Sony came back and is dominating in general PlayStation fashion.

That doesn't mean Xbox is bad, just overall more ppl on a worldwide scale prefer PlayStation.

Sadly for the competition, but that's how it's been pretty much ever since PlayStation's been around, save for the ps3 era where everyone got a good chunk of market share.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
Yep. If he were winning, he wouldn't hate it. Hate it or like it, everything seems to be a war, when more than one of it exists. iOS VS. Android, Pepsi Vs Coke, so on and so forth.

Exactly.  Hell, VGC wouldn't even be a thing if there was no one invested in the console war.  Sure, you could make a site about gaming sales.  But, if people weren't actually interested in how their console of choice was performing against the competition, barely anyone would come here.  And people can claim they hate the war, but they will still go into forums to defend their console/company.  Hypocritical, really. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

LOL I was going to post that we need a Phil Said Thread since people love discussing it but wasn't sure if it would be taken ok.

For some, Phil is the new Pachter, he's also the only big wig, really saying alot at the moment, or at least saying things covered by garme jurnalism. Honestly, idk I didn't watch TGS hell I haven't even watched E3 yet.

But seriously, level with me here. Do you honestly take this guy seriously and if so why? To me, I'm completely ignorant of his past, and I wouldn't give it any merit anyway. I've only concerned myself with him as the head of Xbox and see him as an executive first and foremost, and every single thing I hear him say is just marketing. I've heard he is a gamer, but as of late I haven't heard him talk about games or gaming on the XB1, just meaningless things like "oh we've got great games coming..." which is just advertising at this point.

He comes across as more of a gamer than any other executive who I see in the news a lot. I am sure Miyamoto is some sort of executive at Nintendo, and I am sure Sony has some hardcore gamer executive hidden away somewhere in one of their buildings, but they don't talk much. Phil is asked questions and gives honest answers when possible, and PR bullshit when applicable, as all executives do. Why wouldn't I take him seriously? The only person I have never taken seriously was Kenny K and his constant nonsense.

And he discusses games all the time. Check him out on twitter sometime. I'm still laughing at people writing this off as results of 2nd place. Not only has he said this before, but what do sales matter anyway? He's talking about console war bullshit. 360 did amazing last gen and there was still plenty of console war bullshit. Wii won last generation sales wise, was it free from console war bullshit? I don't think so. Here is the full interview by the way if anyone is interested, I'm out, I am exceeding my allowed one post in an Xboss thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-interview-phil-spencer-on-halo-the-future-of-/1100-6430815/

Too bad his and MS actions contradict what he says and the ads are much console warfare as possible... not sure why we should trust him... and about being a gamer... all the fanboys and warmonger on gaming are gamers themselves, that don't help him in any manner.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

thismeintiel said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:
Yep. If he were winning, he wouldn't hate it. Hate it or like it, everything seems to be a war, when more than one of it exists. iOS VS. Android, Pepsi Vs Coke, so on and so forth.

Exactly.  Hell, VGC wouldn't even be a thing if there was no one invested in the console war.  Sure, you could make a site about gaming sales.  But, if people weren't actually interested in how their console of choice was performing against the competition, barely anyone would come here.  And people can claim they hate the war, but they will still go into forums to defend their console/company.  Hypocritical, really. 

And attack the other console and its players.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
God bless the holy men Phil Spencer, the Angel among us peasants, he have no sins he is perfect.

Amen !!!

Amen.

Intrinsic said:
$100 says he wouldn't be making that comment if XB1 was where the PS4 is on the market right now.

And as for the console war, if he hates it soooooo much, then he should do the right thing. Release all Xbox games across all platforms. Its the mother of all double standards to push platform exclusivity then bitch about people finding reasons to justify one platform over the other.

100 bucks says Phil wouldn't be in charge of Xbox if Xbone was in PS4's position *cough* it'd be Mattrick still. 

Just rofl and nothing else man.Wow.

Shadow1980 said:

Obvious solution? Have MS Studios go third-party next gen and release Halo, Gears, etc., for the PS5.

In all seriousness, though, competition can be good for business. Sega forced Nintendo to change their policies regarding violence in games in the 16-bit era. Without the Genesis, being around NoA may have continued sanitizing titles for the U.S./Canada market.

Sony going with discs instead of cartridges allowed the PS1 to get games that may have been impossible to make on the N64; in fact, Nintendo's decision to go with cartridges in the fifth generation resulting in the biggest shift in the console market since the Crash of '83. Imagine if Sony decided to never make a console, the Saturn still flopped, and the N64 went essentially unchallenged. It's entirely possible that Nintendo would have stuck with cartridges as long as they thought it was a viable format, which could have caused progress in game development to stagnate.

The Xbox proved that a robust online service could thrive on consoles in a generation when the most popular system didn't even have built-in ethernet; Halo 2 in particular made Xbox live insanely popular, but if there was no Xbox there would have been no Halo. Had MS never entered the console market, online gaming on consoles may have never become as big as it is.

The 360 provided a cheaper alternative to the initially overpriced PS3, forcing Sony to change their tactics. And just this generation, well, imagine if there was no PS4. The initial plans for the XBO may have never changed and thus we'd probably have always-online DRM and have seen the end of the second-hand market as we know it (at least until the inevitable lawsuit that would've happened when someone sued over their first-sale rights being violated).

The console wars are a good thing. There should be at least two conventional systems in any generation, if only to keep the competition on their toes.

P.S.: And just think of all the games that probably would have never been made had Nintendo had an absolute monopoly on the market over the past 25 years, thus preventing every future console war. No Sonic, no Halo, no The Last of Us, no God of War, no Gears of War. Every first-party Sega, Sony, and MS game would have never existed in the first place. Granted, had they never existed in the first place we wouldn't be able to miss them and there probably would have been many other great games made instead, but history would have been very different today without competition.

Well said.  Everyone acknowledges competition is healthy for markets.  Phil is kind of referring to the fanboys that take everything to far and feel the need to shit talk and make shitposts about the competition.   The console bros should be sticking together as there are so many games that would be completely exclusive last gen getting ported to PC and not the other consoles.  

But if you say it in a constructive way such as bringing up the insanely poor battery life on a PS4 controller, things can change for the better.  Its a bit different for the console that is "beating" the others in sales because history has shown us making these types of upgrades is not the priority for them whereas if they were behind, they'd be going out of their way to provide like what MS is doing with the constant updates, the elite controller, and the hybrid HDD.  I mean Sony fans were getting ticked off about the lack of meaningful updates which eventually led Sony to make a place to prioritize them via user feedback and go from there.

But yeah the constant shitposts about MS is getting old on this site as they are actively trying to do good.  Some people think it is 100% about exclusives when it really isn't as most popular games are third party.  Expecting 10+ AAA exclusives a year is silly as is bashing the company for not "spreading them out" over the course of the year.  Its just a strategy they chose based on business statistics and people bashing the console as a whole because of it is ignant jafeel. 

ethomaz said:
KiigelHeart said:

Did you really not understand what he is saying or are you doing this exact thing Spencer is talking about on purpose? Hint: He isn't talking about sales contest between Sony and Microsoft. Ps players really love to spin his words, maybe they should think about it from an another ankle for a while.

No. I'm reading right.

He is just saying things based in the spin needed to the interview... he are doing a lot of odd statements that contradicts himself from few months ago.
There is no other angle to think about.
He started to lie too.

But yeap for some Spencer is the God.

For some it is Shu, for some it is Kaz. Crazy world, isn't it?