By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Soul series is the modern Final Fantasy imo.

I think the Souls games are more like Zelda, especially Zelda 2 for NES which had rpg elements and was all about combat.
It also reminds me of Genesis games like Landstalker and Beyond Oasis.
I dont see it as similar to Final Fantasy, although I also stopped liking Final Fantasy when it stopped being medieval fantasy.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Final Fantasy used to be an experience. I used to like everything about them. Then...FFX came.

I loved final fantasy X though

Hynad said:
Soundwave said:

I liked FF7 but after that it got way too much into "J-POP Backstreet Boys RPG" territory. I don't understand at all why Squaresoft thought that was a smart direction to go in. IX was good too, but it was the last one that was really free of that Boy Band/Pop Girl aesthetic. 

FF XII wasn't "Boy Band/Pop Girl" either.

Neither was X (Rikku wasn't represented that way much at all, she was handled pretty decently in X, X-2 not so much), XI or XIV.  VIII there's some J-pop-ness and XIII has Vanille in it...

Lube Me Up

Snoopy said:

I know my opinon might be the in minority here, but here me out. In my honest opinion, FF7 was the end for FF for me. It is the start of pushing anime style themes in the FF games.  I didn't like it at all and thought it was annoying. The emo lead chracter, the weird anime based storyline/characters,off the wall cutscenes and above all the cringe worthy cutscenes/gameplay. This annoyed me to death. I miss the medieveal darkage theme setting. You going through castles, dugeons,villages, ect.There was enough story, but not too much and it wasn't annoying for the most part. It seems the only series that can match up to the classic Final Fantasy while being "modern" so to speak is the soul series. Anyone else agrees with me?

Stopped reading at "emo lead character". You very clearly didn't even play FF7, since Cloud is actually more of an unlucky smart ass than he is emo. Subsequent games may have portrayed him as moody and emotional, but the original game did not unless it was sobering that would make any real, related character emotional (ie, watching your former childhood hero impale your crush).

Sounds like you didn't like the art style, and proceeded to look for reasons not to like it, even if they were untrue reasons. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I stopped taking the first post seriously when it mentioned that the Souls series has "enough story"

Around the Network

Souls series is much better than Final Fantasy series imo.

Neodegenerate said:
I stopped taking the first post seriously when it mentioned that the Souls series has "enough story"

And where is the problem? All Souls games have a amazing story.

I have enjoy  FF 7-9-10-13, do not liked 8-10/2-12-13-13/2 & not played 13/3.

Liked demon souls, dark souls, blood born, but not liked dark souls 2.

Dr.Vita said:
Neodegenerate said:

And where is the problem? All Souls games have a amazing story.

There is?  From what I recall in playing the games (a few hours in each Dark Souls 2 and Demon Souls) I was a guy who was sent to some area to run around and kill things.  There were a lot of random things left on the ground for me to read from other players, but at no point in either game did I feel as though the game had an actual plot that I was moving along beyond just "kills these things to get this stuff"

Edit: also, I recall when bringing it up in another thread that people mentioned the games story isn't "spoon fed to you" and you have to look and read the story elsewhere.  Same people that knocked Destiny for it's lack of cohesive story that plays out via those grimoire cards or whatever if I recall.

So is your main point that the Souls series prioritizes gameplay over story, therefore making it similar to old school FF games? Just making sure I'm on board.

I've never played the old FF games, actually I've only played 13 and it was shit. But I will say while gameplay should be the most important aspect, I'd love a Souls/Bloodborne game with a decent story. Obviously you need a perfect mix, and unfortunately the more popular something gets, usually the budget is raised therefore an "epic over the top" story is created.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros