By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Soul series is the modern Final Fantasy imo.

I agree that Souls is the modern FF in terms of quality. Each entry reminds me of the golden days that were 7-10. Final Fantasy better do something quick because FROM Software is putting out hit after hit, and it's quickly becoming my new favorite franchise.

Around the Network

Completely disagree. The story in Dark Souls doesn't exist. If it had more story the game would be a lot better.

I will completely disagree for my own reasons.

But I never once thought "Man this is what a Final Fantasy game should be/feel like" when playing a Souls game.

I will say this, if Souls game were anything like Final Fantasy then they really skimped out on the Phoenix Downs lol

Natsu said:
Ljink96 said:
Final Fantasy used to be an experience. I used to like everything about them. Then...FFX came.

I loved final fantasy X though

X was okay but I thought Tidus was the lamest hero of all time. He sounded like a prick.

BraLoD said:
Neodegenerate said:

There is?  From what I recall in playing the games (a few hours in each Dark Souls 2 and Demon Souls) I was a guy who was sent to some area to run around and kill things.  There were a lot of random things left on the ground for me to read from other players, but at no point in either game did I feel as though the game had an actual plot that I was moving along beyond just "kills these things to get this stuff"

Edit: also, I recall when bringing it up in another thread that people mentioned the games story isn't "spoon fed to you" and you have to look and read the story elsewhere.  Same people that knocked Destiny for it's lack of cohesive story that plays out via those grimoire cards or whatever if I recall.

Did you actually played Demon's Souls?
There is a little intro, then you get to the tutorial and after that the Maiden in Black will introduce you to the game, after beating the first boss you get to talk with the Last Monumental and get to know the lore about the game and how did the world turned that way.

While playing you'll get the story from the chars you meet, it won't be throw at you, it will be presented to you, before even the first boss you'll get to meet Ostrava and Old Kind Doran (if you dare to), and will be getting new chars telling stuff to you as you meet them while progressing, until in the end you'll get to know what King Allant did and you even get to choose how it'll end, if you'll renew the cycle or give it a stop there.

It doesn't have cutscenes and stuff like that, but it does have lore and background story, told you by the chars, as well as how their intentions shape it.

That part where I said I played Demon's Souls for a few hours was indeed there to indicate that I played the game.  I never felt as though I was playing in a fleshed out world with a solid plot-line.  What I felt like I was playing was an action-rpg like game with a great combat system and not much story to go off.