By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How I think the wii will gain a better quality third party.

Third-parties aren't going to waste their big franchises on the Wii. They're going to continue attacking the 360/PS3/PC as one platform, as that's what's going to give them the most sales and make them the most money. People seem to believe that this is the PS2 era or the PS1 era. It's not, and the Wii is not the PS2. Parity is at an all-time high right now; third-parties are taking advantage of that fact, and they will continue to do so. Right now, there's no reason for developers to use the Wii as their primary platform. Even if you're a Japanese developer, with the way the Japanese market is looking—dry, small and niche—your best bet would be the Nintendo DS.

Thus, we have seen most of those popular Japanese games on the DS instead of console (Like we use to see on the PS2). Wii fans should be happy with the third-party support they have, since there are some very good third-party games heading to the Wii. However, you're never going to have the same support the PS2 or PS1 got. There's way to much parity in the industry for that. If you're not happy with the Wii's support, there are other consoles out there you can buy.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

I dunno about 360 and PS3 making most money. Those games cost more money to produce, hype, and etc. Third parties could easily make a lot more from the higher Wii install base not to mention the lack of good AAA third party games. Of course whoever cashes in on the triple A 3rd party first will get it good, but the time to do it would be a couple months after MKWii.

It's similar to how Tales did so amazingly well on GC. The GC was dried up from RPGs and first good one comes, they go apes*** over it. On the other hand Tales of the Abyss barely sold better in Japan despite a larger install base and being a better game imo. A smart 3rd party dev would know that a good time to cash in and make a name for themselves would be soon.

Of course after a while with so many good games out good games will begin to suffer in sales...Okami for example.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

I don't think the Wii will be a huge 3rd party machine tbh, which is why I'm so hesitant to buy one. By the time the PS2 dies, most dev's will probably be quite adept at making games for the 360 and the PS3 and PC gaming is on the rise again. I see very few hardcore, solid 3rd party games on the Wii unfortunately, so Nintendo have to keep producing their own hits in order to satisfy gamers (which probably won't be too much of a problem).
Hearing the doubts that many dev's have about the Wii's longevity and many already wanting even more hardware grunt or space on the HD side of things, I just don't see this scenario.
Making multiplat titles for the Wii will become a hassle for most dev's when the PS2 dies, so I think if anything, they PS2's death will hamper the Wii.
They can't very well make Wii games core and port them to PC, 360 and PS3, and the other way around is also a lot of work since they are so fundamentaly different, we're already seeing quite a few franchises left out of the Wii because of this.
If dev's have to choose between the Wii or PC/360/PS3, I think and firmly believe that they'll choose the latter regardless of Wii sales when it comes to big budget hardcore titles.

yes

it's just like the move to 3d games (most sucked except mario 64 at first) and the ds' touchscreen...it takes time for developers to get a clue and create quality games

also, 3rd parties didn't think wii would be the leader this gen and now it takes time to adjust and shift resources

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
kingofwale said:
That's Playstation Brand for you, you win by casual gamers, you die by casual gamers.

see, i can do that too!

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:
Right now, there's no reason for developers to use the Wii as their primary platform.

u are really something else; perhaps the most blinded person on the boards

that statement right there is possibly the most incorrect statement i have seen here

a) there are plenty of reasons; to name a few: largest install base, cheapest development costs, shortest development time, easiest to make a name for your ip (simply do superior controls and u'll sell tons), will soon have a larger install base than ps3+360 combined, fastest selling console of all time, etc etc

u see, an unblinded person would give logical reasons for why developers shouldn't use the wii as their primary platform...but u go ahead and say there are no reasons

u can stop trolling the nintendo boards now

Predictions:

Mummelmann said:
I don't think the Wii will be a huge 3rd party machine tbh, which is why I'm so hesitant to buy one. By the time the PS2 dies, most dev's will probably be quite adept at making games for the 360 and the PS3 and PC gaming is on the rise again. I see very few hardcore, solid 3rd party games on the Wii unfortunately, so Nintendo have to keep producing their own hits in order to satisfy gamers (which probably won't be too much of a problem).
Hearing the doubts that many dev's have about the Wii's longevity and many already wanting even more hardware grunt or space on the HD side of things, I just don't see this scenario.
Making multiplat titles for the Wii will become a hassle for most dev's when the PS2 dies, so I think if anything, they PS2's death will hamper the Wii.
They can't very well make Wii games core and port them to PC, 360 and PS3, and the other way around is also a lot of work since they are so fundamentaly different, we're already seeing quite a few franchises left out of the Wii because of this.
If dev's have to choose between the Wii or PC/360/PS3, I think and firmly believe that they'll choose the latter regardless of Wii sales when it comes to big budget hardcore titles.

Iagree that they are really different , and it would be hard to port to the Wii , but it would be cheaper and easier than to make another game for it. I also think the time of being wary of the wii has been over long ago. Everybody knows the wii is successful and will continue to be. Nobody sees it as a flop anymore. We are already seeing the Wii's 3rd party increase. The problem is we don't know how much it will. IF at least half of these things happen I could see it go above the ps3 and 360s hardware. The wii is gaining support while these consoles are losing it. The ps3 was losing 3rd parties since the beginning , because of the cell being to hard to produce for , and the 360 is most likely going to lose this gen. I definately see more hardcore games coming after casuals either had enough i=with the mini games or just don't want anymore games. This would make it harder to get rich easy especially after the ps2 dies. 

perhaps with the Wii's cheap development costs, wii ware etc and with little dev companies having a go at console gaming and big dev companies bieng hesitant we may see some new successfull dev copanies by the end of the Wii's cycle.

who knows what one or two wii ware cult hits followed by a dabble in releasing a follow up retail version can end up in.  Fact is the Wii is gonna fall or stand still without third party support, sure it'd be more successfull and nicer if it had good support but if it doesn't it'll have a decent life cycle and third party's will realise this at the very latest when that magic 50% is hit.

Fastrabbit09 said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Right now, there's no reason for developers to use the Wii as their primary platform.

that statement right there is possibly the most incorrect statement i have seen here

a) there are plenty of reasons; to name a few: largest install base, cheapest development costs, shortest development time, easiest to make a name for your ip (simply do superior controls and u'll sell tons), will soon have a larger install base than ps3+360 combined, fastest selling console of all time, etc etc

u see, an unblinded person would give logical reasons for why developers shouldn't use the wii as their primary platform...but u go ahead and say there are no reasons

It is really not as simple as you make it seem. The thing about most good software developers is they like to push hardware limits. Then once they hit it move to a stronger machine and try again. There are devs who will never make games for the Wii no matter what. After a dev pushes the 360 and PS3 to their limits they're more likely to move to the PC or what for stonger consoles before they move to the Wii. They may even make something for the DS since it is pretty strong as far as handhelds go. Nintendo's decision to keep things simple with the Wii hardware may come back to burn them later on if they're trying to go for hardcore gamers. They might as well keep going the route they're going trying to entice casuals. Who knows some of those casuals may move over to PS3/360/PC after a while.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
Riot Of The Blood said:

u see, an unblinded person would give logical reasons for why developers shouldn't use the wii as their primary platform...but u go ahead and say there are no reasons

It is really not as simple as you make it seem. The thing about most good software developers is they like to push hardware limits. Then once they hit it move to a stronger machine and try again. There are devs who will never make games for the Wii no matter what. After a dev pushes the 360 and PS3 to their limits they're more likely to move to the PC or what for stonger consoles before they move to the Wii. They may even make something for the DS since it is pretty strong as far as handhelds go. Nintendo's decision to keep things simple with the Wii hardware may come back to burn them later on if they're trying to go for hardcore gamers. They might as well keep going the route they're going trying to entice casuals. Who knows some of those casuals may move over to PS3/360/PC after a while.

Money vs Pushing Hardware? I would think these developers would rather want to make money. The developers that want to push hardware go to the pc. They skip the 360, and ps3 , because they are inferior to pc. So yes there are developers like this , but do they develop for consoles no. They might port pc games to consoles for more money , but they don't develop execlusives for them.