By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How I think the wii will gain a better quality third party.

God knows how much support Sony lost just from their delay? And then the outrageous launch price didn't help either...
Its a long way to fall when you've reached the top, and this is a prime case of it.
I do hope they recover and regroup though, many of the games that have become personal favourites have become so on Sony systems.
That's the thing with bussiness and life in general; someone wins, someone has to loose. Anyone's loss could potentially be others' gain.

PS: About your sig sc; I too believe that KH 3 will be Wii exclusive, I don't know why, but I always felt that KH belonged on Nintendo. I also believe there's a good chance we'll see Kingdom Hearts DS sometimes in the next two years!

Around the Network
Grahamhsu said:
I dunno about 360 and PS3 making most money. Those games cost more money to produce, hype, and etc. Third parties could easily make a lot more from the higher Wii install base not to mention the lack of good AAA third party games. Of course whoever cashes in on the triple A 3rd party first will get it good, but the time to do it would be a couple months after MKWii.

One thing to note is that 360/PS3 games are generally $10 more expensive than Wii games (sometimes $20 or more) so that's an extra $10 million (or $20 million or more) made on every million copies sold.  I think that balances out some of the cost of making games on HD consoles.  That and sharing costs in multiplatform game development helps to bring down the costs for each version of the game.

Mummelmann said:
God knows how much support Sony lost just from their delay? And then the outrageous launch price didn't help either...
Its a long way to fall when you've reached the top, and this is a prime case of it.
I do hope they recover and regroup though, many of the games that have become personal favourites have become so on Sony systems.
That's the thing with bussiness and life in general; someone wins, someone has to loose. Anyone's loss could potentially be others' gain.

PS: About your sig sc; I too believe that KH 3 will be Wii exclusive, I don't know why, but I always felt that KH belonged on Nintendo. I also believe there's a good chance we'll see Kingdom Hearts DS sometimes in the next two years!
That was a bet. If you want to participate in it go to kingofwale.

moar funny pictures

Lol are you going on a cat pic rampage.

Around the Network

^ i am uber bored right now

Nice pic mesoteto. There has been a flood of third-party support to the Wii, but there has not been a flood of QUALITY third-party support to the Wii. I am not sure if that will change anytime soon, especially if garbage games keep selling well.

I don't know if third-party developers are going to divert their more experienced programmers away from PS3/360 development and put them on the Wii either. I still question whether or not the most experienced programmers want to work on the Wii, since they can't design games the way they have been trained to on it (i.e. ones that use a traditional controller and ones that can push the photorealistic edge).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Goddbless said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Right now, there's no reason for developers to use the Wii as their primary platform.

u are really something else; perhaps the most blinded person on the boards

that statement right there is possibly the most incorrect statement i have seen here

a) there are plenty of reasons; to name a few: largest install base, cheapest development costs, shortest development time, easiest to make a name for your ip (simply do superior controls and u'll sell tons), will soon have a larger install base than ps3+360 combined, fastest selling console of all time, etc etc

u see, an unblinded person would give logical reasons for why developers shouldn't use the wii as their primary platform...but u go ahead and say there are no reasons

u can stop trolling the nintendo boards now

It is really not as simple as you make it seem. The thing about most good software developers is they like to push hardware limits. Then once they hit it move to a stronger machine and try again. There are devs who will never make games for the Wii no matter what. After a dev pushes the 360 and PS3 to their limits they're more likely to move to the PC or what for stonger consoles before they move to the Wii. They may even make something for the DS since it is pretty strong as far as handhelds go. Nintendo's decision to keep things simple with the Wii hardware may come back to burn them later on if they're trying to go for hardcore gamers. They might as well keep going the route they're going trying to entice casuals. Who knows some of those casuals may move over to PS3/360/PC after a while.

Eh I would like a software developers opinion on this actually...not just an assumption. If you can find a link that would help. But I don't think all software devs enjoy pushing hardware limits, Factor 5 that made Lair are now working on a Wii game even though they love pushing hardware limits (Rogue Squadron etc). Also why would software devs unless being paid money from Sony,Ninty, or MSFT want to push hardware for the sake of it? Games that require more also require more money, and most publishers don't want to gamble unless they're the creators of Farcry.

Also I don't think it's what the software devs want, but more what the gamers they're selling to want. Software devs are still devs and it's still their job to cater to gamers. So while some gamers like you may enjoy seeing hardware pushed to the limits not all gamers care about graphics that much. 

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Copy&pasting what I wrote in another thread, since everyone is ignoring it there, and it's actually more on-topic here:

First of all, look at the Wii's software sales.

See all the third party million sellers? There are 8 now, with 1 more arriving next week, and 2 almost certain to reach the magic number in a month or two. This means third parties are selling well on the Wii.

Next, look at the list of upcoming games.

See all the third party games? Certainly not all will end up great, but at least King's Story, Odoro Muramasa Youtouden, Opoona, Battle of the Bands, Monster Lab, Boom Blox, Tales of Symphonia, Fragile, Mushroom Men, Crystal Chronicles, De Blob, and Deadly Creatures are serious exclusive efforts by at the very least decent development teams. They're not even nearly all AAA, but there's not a single piece of shovelware amongst them. I don't think Zack&Wiki or No More Heroes were even announced this time last year, so we can expect several more titles that we haven't heard of yet. That's not even getting into multiplats like Alone in the Dark, Spore, Rock Band, and Street Fighter 4, or the entire Wii Ware service.

In other words, we already know of many times more promising third party exclusives and multiplats in March than what came out in all of 2007. This means third parties are significantly increasing their support for the Wii.

Now you've probably noticed that most of the exclusives aren't exactly big names. That's because big sequels to popular franchises, probably what most people refer to as AAA games, take a long time to develop. The Wii's status as this gen's best selling console only became apparent during the last year or so, and the best dev teams of most publishers are still working on various projects for the HD consoles that are too far in production to suddenly port over.

Yes, we've been saying this for quite a while, but it hasn't suddenly stopped being true. So far Monster Hunter 3 and Fatal Frame 4 have jumped over to being Wii exclusives, and don't expect the trend to suddenly change for no reason at all. This means the Wii is starting to get big AAA games as well. Just slowly as expected...

tl;dr: third party games are selling well, the Wii is getting many times more 80+ games in 08 than last year, and AAA titles are starting to jump over as well.

3rd parties need to learn this little thing called advertising.

I have seen 3 Wii adds the entire time i've wathced TV, all for first party games.

I won't feel bad for 3rd party games not selling until they spend more than a few cents on advertising.