By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - So is Blu-Ray 21st century LaserDisc?

Blu-Ray actually has a market. Laserdisc didn't. The main differences between the two are that laserdisc was ahead of it's time and wasn't quite ready yet. Blu-Ray on the other hand was way past it's time. It was a physical media format that was released at a time when the digital market was already catching on. Looking back at it, there was no alternative. Hollywood was demanding a new format that had enough storage for HD movies but the digital market hadn't caught up enough to completely replace the physical media market.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
bunchanumbers said:
rolltide101x said:

Bluray probably is not going anywhere in the near future with stores to push them and large market who absolutely will not buy digital movies. 

Who said anything about buying? Its cheaper and easier to just stream it. Eventually people will end up just saying no more to blu rays when there are devices all over the place that can play their movies without a need for a blu ray player. Outside of a few people who appreciate dead mediums and don't wanna move on.

Funny that the people appreciating the best video and audio quality, probably also investing in a good 5.1 and 7.1 sound system and/or home theater projectors are the ones that don't wanna move on. It's more like they don't want to move backwards...

The next step is coming early 2016
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/
4K res, 10 bit color, HDR, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X. It will soon be time to begin upgrading my home theater.

like I said its a matter of convenience. The fast majority of people watching a movie won't be watching it on a setup like that. It will be a few hardcore enthusiasts, and a few hold outs and that will be about it. If people were really concerned about movie quality they would have jumped on blu ray the second it came out. I'm beginning to think that DVD might outlive bluray.

walsufnir said:
Blu-Ray is way more popular than laserdisc but will most probably be the last ODD standard made for mass market. Streaming is the way to go.

So you honestly think people, at some point, will never want to own anything? Just fork over money to "see" things? I really think that at some point, we're going to see the streaming thing level out. It's new, it's hip... but is it built to last? 

Look at vinyl. By all reasoning, it should be dead but it's actually growing and it's because there is this counter culture wave of people who want ownership and quality. I can see the same thing happening with movies. At some point, it's going to go too far, and we're going to see a rebirth and growth of physical media again.

bunchanumbers said:
rolltide101x said:

Bluray probably is not going anywhere in the near future with stores to push them and large market who absolutely will not buy digital movies. 

Who said anything about buying? Its cheaper and easier to just stream it. 

How so? I can rent any new movie physically for like, $1.20 at a Redbox. No subscription needed. I can also spend $15 dollars on a copy of a classic movie ONCE, and never have to pay for it again for the rest of my life. 

Physical is cheaper. The illusion that steaming is cheaper is just that, an illusion. For one years worth of Netflix and Hulu Plus, it will cost you 192 dollars. Do you honestly think I'd spend 192 dollars on Red Box rentals? haha

AlfredoTurkey said:
walsufnir said:
Blu-Ray is way more popular than laserdisc but will most probably be the last ODD standard made for mass market. Streaming is the way to go.

So you honestly think people, at some point, will never want to own anything? Just fork over money to "see" things? I really think that at some point, we're going to see the streaming thing level out. It's new, it's hip... but is it built to last? 

Look at vinyl. By all reasoning, it should be dead but it's actually growing and it's because there is this counter culture wave of people who want ownership and quality. I can see the same thing happening with movies. At some point, it's going to go too far, and we're going to see a rebirth and growth of physical media again.

Why do people always think in absolutes? Seriously. I said the last odd standard for the mass market. 

I don't know what is so hard to understand from that. Vinyl is growing? Fine. But growing is a relative word. It is still a niche and will never ever be for the masses again. 

And of course there will always be people who want to own something. There will always be people who don't behave like masses in different kinds of aspects in their life.

It's the same when people make threads with “am I the only one who thinks...“ no, of course not. 

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Why do people always think in absolutes? Seriously. I said the last odd standard for the mass market. 

I don't know what is so hard to understand from that. Vinyl is growing? Fine. But growing is a relative word. It is still a niche and will never ever be for the masses again. 

And of course there will always be people who want to own something. There will always be people who don't behave like masses in different kinds of aspects in their life.

It's the same when people make threads with “am I the only one who thinks...“ no, of course not. 

Sorry if I worded that in a way that offended you. I didn't mean to. I just meant that, you know, you said Blu-Ray was going to be the last physical media format and we all know that 4K players are coming. If you meant that Blu-Ray was going to be the last physical format that was consumed at a really high level, then I could see that... maybe. But it's certainly not going to be the last format for consumption. 

invetedlotus123 said:
Bofferbrauer said:

The Wii U NODs (Nintendo Optical Discs) are basically reverse-ingeneered Blu-Ray Discs to avoid licensing fees (which else they had to pay per disc and drive). They have the same storage size of 25GB but due to the non-licensing the Wii U can't play regular Blu-Rays. Same thing goes with the Wii Discs and DVDs and Gamecube discs and Mini-DVDs by the way.

Good Old Nintendo, always fucking the media formats.

It does have it's perks for Nintendo.

First, they don't have to spend millions every year on licensing fees to the Blu-Ray Disc Association. Second, it acts as a physical copy protection.

BraLoD said:
Well, I'll just throw it here, but I really wanted to see the HVD actually being a thing.

You'll get at least Blu-Ray 4K pretty soon, first discs are expected for the Holiday season this year

AlfredoTurkey said:
bunchanumbers said:

Who said anything about buying? Its cheaper and easier to just stream it. 

How so? I can rent any new movie physically for like, $1.20 at a Redbox. No subscription needed. I can also spend $15 dollars on a copy of a classic movie ONCE, and never have to pay for it again for the rest of my life. 

Physical is cheaper. The illusion that steaming is cheaper is just that, an illusion. For one years worth of Netflix and Hulu Plus, it will cost you 192 dollars. Do you honestly think I'd spend 192 dollars on Red Box rentals? haha

That's great, but you're still depending on a blu ray player to make it happen. Streaming can be taken everywhere without doing questionable things like ripping movies and the like. Streaming can be done from nearly any device these days and it is just too easy. Being tied down to a blu ray player is kinda archaic these days.

I disagree that Blu Ray is FAR superior to streaming.

When I had Netflix I got 1080p streaming and I was impressed. It's still not got the depth of picture and sound as a blu ray though.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One