By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - So is Blu-Ray 21st century LaserDisc?

I have to believe that blu ray as a format won't be along for much longer. Unless they find a way to make a 1TB disc then it makes no sense to have a medium that is so limited. Even if that happens, HDDs are just getting bigger and bigger. Eventually those 1TB discs would be obsolete. In the end, it will most likely be a medium for enthusiasts of old school stuff and don't wanna move on. Streaming is just too convenient.

Around the Network

Absurd comparison.

If anything has failed the bluray format (which I frown more and more on these days) its the fucking movie studios that do fuck all to give fans what they want.

DVD introduced things suck as commentaries / never before seen bonus features. Whenever a bluray movie is released / rerelease it has bare minimum features, with only the artwork changed slightly. Again, this is a studio problem, not a hardware thing.

Having said that, I'm fine with the format and will continue to support it, although, the amount of ''new'' blurays I buy is significantly lower than it used to be. 90% of the movie I own now are from ebay etc. Don't want to give the studios any of my money unless I see they put effort into the release. 

Ka-pi96 said:
BraLoD said:
Don't think so, every quality product go with Blu-ray nowdays.
All 3 main console systems and several movies.

LaserDisc never actually was a thing, while Blu-ray is without a doubt.
CD and DVD had way more success, indeed, but it's not a good comparision IMO.

You sure about that? I thought the Wii U used a unique kind of disc rather than blu ray?

The Wii U NODs (Nintendo Optical Discs) are basically reverse-ingeneered Blu-Ray Discs to avoid licensing fees (which else they had to pay per disc and drive). They have the same storage size of 25GB but due to the non-licensing the Wii U can't play regular Blu-Rays. Same thing goes with the Wii Discs and DVDs and Gamecube discs and Mini-DVDs by the way.

Bofferbrauer said:
Ka-pi96 said:
BraLoD said:
Don't think so, every quality product go with Blu-ray nowdays.
All 3 main console systems and several movies.

LaserDisc never actually was a thing, while Blu-ray is without a doubt.
CD and DVD had way more success, indeed, but it's not a good comparision IMO.

You sure about that? I thought the Wii U used a unique kind of disc rather than blu ray?

The Wii U NODs (Nintendo Optical Discs) are basically reverse-ingeneered Blu-Ray Discs to avoid licensing fees (which else they had to pay per disc and drive). They have the same storage size of 25GB but due to the non-licensing the Wii U can't play regular Blu-Rays. Same thing goes with the Wii Discs and DVDs and Gamecube discs and Mini-DVDs by the way.

Good Old Nintendo, always fucking the media formats.

bunchanumbers said:
I have to believe that blu ray as a format won't be along for much longer. Unless they find a way to make a 1TB disc then it makes no sense to have a medium that is so limited. Even if that happens, HDDs are just getting bigger and bigger. Eventually those 1TB discs would be obsolete. In the end, it will most likely be a medium for enthusiasts of old school stuff and don't wanna move on. Streaming is just too convenient.

Bluray probably is not going anywhere in the near future with stores to push them and large market who absolutely will not buy digital movies. 

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
bunchanumbers said:

Bluray probably is not going anywhere in the near future with stores to push them and large market who absolutely will not buy digital movies. 

Who said anything about buying? Its cheaper and easier to just stream it. Eventually people will end up just saying no more to blu rays when there are devices all over the place that can play their movies without a need for a blu ray player. Outside of a few people who appreciate dead mediums and don't wanna move on.

bunchanumbers said:
rolltide101x said:

Who said anything about buying? Its cheaper and easier to just stream it. Eventually people will end up just saying no more to blu rays when there are devices all over the place that can play their movies without a need for a blu ray player. Outside of a few people who appreciate dead mediums and don't wanna move on.

Funny that the people appreciating the best video and audio quality, probably also investing in a good 5.1 and 7.1 sound system and/or home theater projectors are the ones that don't wanna move on. It's more like they don't want to move backwards...

The next step is coming early 2016
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/
4K res, 10 bit color, HDR, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X. It will soon be time to begin upgrading my home theater.

The f*ck is a LaserDisc?
All I know is that I'm gonna keep using Blu-ray until something that provides higher video and audio quality comes out.

SvennoJ said:

4K res, 10 bit color, HDR, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X.

I think I have like 2 Blu-ray disks, both were gifts.