By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Michael Pachter says Wii U to sell 20 million units worldwide

Too high on all three. Besides; this is old news, I remember estimating 18-25 million in 2012/2013.

Around the Network

It will by the middle of 2017

Reality check for some:

Wii U averages about 3.25 million shipments a year and it's on pace for that again this year.

That means it is basically a full year behind the GameCube, which only made it to 22 million. It is way behind the GameCube right now.

And with Mario Maker out, they've basically played all their main system sellers. Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Maker, Donkey Kong Country, Wii Sports, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Wii Fit have all come and gone for the Wii U. Zelda is not going to sell 5 million Wii Us, it probably won't even be a Wii U only title.

Wii U has peaked.
Its still at 10million units sold after 3years or so on the market.
Next year it ll most likely get replaced by a new Nintendo console system.

I just dont think that its possible at the rate its selling currently for that to ever happend.
20 million units sold for the Wii U is too optimistic.

My guess:

2015:

sep 200k

oct 170k

nov 500k

dec. 1.1kk

=>   Wii U is at ~ 11.98 million or so.

2016:

jan -> sep  sales much like the past 3 years , maybe abit lower, due to hype from NX soon launching ( lets say 1.3million).

Wii U is @13,3 million units sold or so.

oct =====>  Nintendo NX launches, has good sales, Wii U sales drop alot compaired to other years this month.

Wii U keeps selling another 2-3years and ends up around 14,5 million or so.

How realistic is this? Not sure, but think its going to be closer than patcher is with his 20million prediction.

maybe if they cut the price of the Wii U to $99 this christmas

Around the Network

Actually the sales gap is worse than I thought ...

GameCube shipments through September 2004 (which correspond to Wii U's September 2015) are 15.97 million:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube

The Wii U is maaaaaaaybe at 11 million shipped at best? That's a 5 million gap, so the Wii U at its general sales pace is more like 1 1/2 years behind the GameCube now.

20 million isn't going to happen but fine.

How the fuck is Xb1 going to manage 100 million if the PS4 manages 120 million? What the actual fuck? This guy should be banned from saying things on the internet.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I remember when I was having arguments with people saying the WiiU would sell 30millions, and I was like "nope, not even 20".
Fun times, I wonder where those are now.

I really dont see the wii u selling 20 millions worldwide. Maybe 15mil if it is lucky.
But I also dont see the ps4 and xbox one doing those numbers.
If the wii did 101 mil or so how is the ps4 going to outsell it? That would mean, comparing wii/wiiu numbers, that most of the buyers were lost for sony this gen.
That would be a disaster.
I would be freaking out if I was Nintendo in that case xD
No doubt they are working so hard with the NX!

Current thinking/predictions amoung site members seems to be like (from my recollection of what Ive seen):

100-110m PS4
50-55m Xbox One
15-16m Wii U

Patcher is being bold with his Xbox One and Wii U predictions.