By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GameStop Refuses to Sell Console Bundles That Include Digital Copies of Games

thismeintiel said:

What a horrible argument.  The market decides these things, not the companies who make the players.  If CD and DVD/Bluray sales dried up, no one would make the players anymore.  The same goes for home consoles.  If the market decides it doesn't want to go digital only, no console maker would be dumb enough to go that way, otherwise those who prefer physical discs will go with your competition.  And those who prefer physical are the vast majority, so no one is going to do it.  Well, someone might, but they will fail.

The market has already decided it wants to do digital. CD and DVD/Bluray is lower than it's ever been, and the only reason they still exist is for collector value for an increasingly niche audience and that they still can. The market has already chosen digital there. When the NX goes digital only, there won't be a mass exodus, there will be a mass unflux because a console finally modernized.

125 million+ Steam users are already all digital on PC. They aren't the vast majority, and they'll grow less and less as physical is weeded out in favor of digital, starting with the NX next year. It'll do to consoles what the ipod did to music. And no one will look back.

Around the Network

Is the NX even been confirmed to be digital only?

If so then I'll not touch it.

ZombieVito said:

rumor only, and if they choice this path, i can say i won't buy their product, i have steam on my pc, and will stay on pc only if console go digital, because if they do digital only, they can release all game on steam, so not need to buy their plateform.

Saeko said:
ZombieVito said:

rumor only, and if they choice this path, i can say i won't buy their product, i have steam on my pc, and will stay on pc only if console go digital, because if they do digital only, they can release all game on steam, so not need to buy their plateform.

Yeah. In an all digital future PC/hacked console will be best.

thismeintiel said:
nanarchy said:
sounds like a very short sighted strategy. like it or not digital is the future of gaming. I guess they don't have a lot of choice though as digital is gradually eroding and destroying their business model, still I would have hoped they would find ways to innovate rather than create policies rooted in the past.

Yep.  That's why music is no longer put on CDs.  Or movies on DVDs/Blu-rays.  This digital only is the future is just BS.  Physical and digital will live together for decades.  The only way for digital to completely take over is if the internet EVERYWHERE got so fast 50GB-100GB games only took a couple minutes to download.  Or we could transport physical bonuses in collector editions through the net.  Not going to happen anytime soon.

Yep. Blu ray and CD sales have been having successive yearly DECREASES in sales. Considering the widespread use of CD and blu-ray and the increasing population and numbers of people that can purchase that is pretty devastating for them and it is seeing those businesses that rely on their sales suffering a lot. those won't disappear over night but they are in significant decline. same with physical gaming media.

Around the Network

Good move.

Very good and i hope digital doesnt take off on Consoles like on pc

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

spemanig said:

The market has already decided it wants to do digital. CD and DVD/Bluray is lower than it's ever been, and the only reason they still exist is for collector value for an increasingly niche audience and that they still can. The market has already chosen digital there. When the NX goes digital only, there won't be a mass exodus, there will be a mass unflux because a console finally modernized.

125 million+ Steam users are already all digital on PC. They aren't the vast majority, and they'll grow less and less as physical is weeded out in favor of digital, starting with the NX next year. It'll do to consoles what the ipod did to music. And no one will look back.

So why over 80% of any big release game is Physical?

The market choose physical over digital at least on consoles this gen.

And we are now witnessing the beginning of the end for Gamestop. They are living in history, just like blockbuster did.

ethomaz said:

So why over 80% of any big release game is Physical?

The market choose physical over digital at least on consoles this gen.

That's only on consoles where digital isn't pushed like it is on PC. Once the NX actually pushes digital like Steam does with it's 125 million active digital consumer installed base, it'll be over.